Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 13:57

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default xylitol and intestinal discomfort - any solution?

My DW made low carb cookies with coconut and almond flour. They are delicious.

My problem is she sprinkled xylitol on top and some time after eating just one I got diarrhea. She didn't think that little would affect me (I use xylitol on my teeth and gums in the water pik so it was on hand)

She says next time she'll use erythritol, which doesn't seem to bother me, but she has 2 dozen or more cookies that are tempting me.

So I wonder if anyone knows how to eat these cookies and prevent the runs? Especially in an age where toilet paper is scarce

I'll try to brush off as much xylitol as I can, but I'm not sure it will work.

I'm thinking about natural preventives, not some OTC drug. Activated charcoal? Antacids? Fiber?

If you found anything that works for you, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks,
Bob-a-rama
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 21:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Pretty simple, Bob. I don't consume xylitol. That works for me. If it's not good for dogs, it's likely not good for people, fortunately to a lesser degree.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There's a reason your body is telling you ..Do Not Eat.
Must eliminate this toxin as fast as possible.

There is a long list of LC doctors who suggest not consuming any artificial sweeteners. Last one I remember hearing was Dr Paul Mason particularly talking about xylitol and what it does to the intestines. Dr Lewis Cantley the cancer researcher avoids because it continues addiction and actually makes the addiction worse.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-07-20 at 05:23.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 07:49

BF:

I know all that, and after this batch of cookies are gone, there will be no more (except for my teeth/gums - which is recommended by my periodontist).

I just wondered if there was a short-term solution to get me through a few days of eating some cookies my DW made for us. She worked so hard, is so proud, and so pleased to make something that I'd enjoy eating.

BTW, I don't think xylitol is a toxin, but it does temporarily upset my intestinal bacteria. And it's not an artificial sweetener either, although it is processed.

So without any help, I'll have some intestinal discomfort while I enjoy my wife's love in the form of cookies.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 08:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Xylitol is a naturally-occuring polyol (sugar alcohol), although it's fermented commercially from either corn or birch. It may be the source causing your distress .. ie, corn. I've experienced issues .. diarrhea and gas .. from corn-based xylitol. I threw it out, but have since discovered Natural Birch xylitol from Sweet Natural Trading Co. and use it occasionally with no problem.

I know you prefer natural solutions, but I ended up taking extra-strength Gas-X (simethicone) for the room-clearning flatulence because it's the only thing that worked and I was in PAIN! Psyllium husk/powder might be useful to absorb the excess intestinal water and help firm things up a bit .
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 10:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Geez ,Bob, what a predicament. Take one at a time and trash it rather than eat it. Or jyst give her a big kiss on the cheek and get another batch made.

She is not likely to be happy you are in GI distress so there is no win here. Unless she can eat them.

Dump them and make a new batch and laugh over it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 19:31

BF:

I'm going to try brushing the xylitol off the top. They've been stored in the fridge so that might not be easy, but worth a try.

I was hoping for something that would work after I ate one, but it doesn't seem like there is one.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm suspecting (with no scientific evidence) that it was made with corn and that might be a problem for me.

After all, commercial corn in the USA has an insecticide gene spliced into the corn genome. What it does to the insects that eat the corn is to explode their digestive tract.

I'm usually of the opinion that what is meant to kill any animal can't be harmless to us.

I don't remember if the package was organic or non-GMO which I usually choose if available so I might be barking up the wrong (birch) tree.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 06:31

BF:

Funny thing happened yesterday. Bought 1carb Enlightened ice cream and ate whole tub, which is my normal. A couple hours later, raced for bathroom. It was like prepping for a colonoscopy. Thought of your cookie experience while on the throne.

Pretty sure no corn in this icecream.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 06:36

BF:

I hope your discomfort was short-lived.

I'm going to try the cookies today. I have an old toothbrush, I'm going to brush the xylitol off the best that I can, swallow some psyllium caps first (I do these daily anyway) and have some activated charcoal ready.

Hopefully I won't need the charcoal and I can enjoy the rest of the cookies.

If not, they are all hers and I hope they still give her great pleasure.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 07:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Funny thing happened yesterday. Bought 1carb Enlightened ice cream and ate whole tub, which is my normal. A couple hours later, raced for bathroom. It was like prepping for a colonoscopy. Thought of your cookie experience while on the throne.

Pretty sure no corn in this icecream.

All versions of Enlightened ice cream (keto, low calorie etc) list "non GMO soluble corn fiber" in the ingredients
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 07:37

BF:

yup, you're right !!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 12:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Sugar alcohols vary in digestibility. They can be fiber, OR digested: and now they are carbs. Hope you enjoy that bit of good news, Bob

I have weeded sweeteners down to only a monkfruit/erythritol mix. I also use about 1/3 of the suggested sweetener in recipes. I can have my keto cheesecake every day (and often do) without incident.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-08-20, 19:16

BF:

Cookie solution:

I brushed as much xylitol as I could off a cookie with a toothbrush, took my psyllium fiber (which I talk almost daily) right before the cookie, and when the first gentle rumbling in the intestine happened I took one activated charcoal capsule.

It worked.

My DW in an overly dramatic comedic voice says, "Awwww, now I won't get to eat them all myself."

After these cookies, the xylitol goes back to only being used in the water pik for my gums.

I generally use stevia as a sweetener and I just bought some erithritol to sprinkle on her next batch.

Stevia works fine in my coffee and tea. I use Kal brand because it has no other ingredients but stevia.

I've lost 55 pounds and am no longer in the overweight category for my height, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Now every 3 or 4 days I can have a cookie.

I learned about activated charcoal when I gigged on a cruise ship before I went low carb. I thought I had lactose intolerance, ran out of lactase pills, and asked one of the ship's nurses if she knew where I could get them. She didn't but gave me some activated charcoal pills. She said hospitals use them when people have food poisoning.

The food on the ship had a lot of dairy and the charcoal worked. As soon as I got back to the states I bought some lactase pills.

When I quit eating wheat, the dairy intolerance went away. So I guess I wasn't lactose intolerant, but it was a wheat thing.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 03:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
When I quit eating wheat, the dairy intolerance went away. So I guess I wasn't lactose intolerant, but it was a wheat thing.

Bob

The same thing happened to me! I avoided dairy for many years, started Atkins, cautiously tried some cheese. It was fine! And I was not eating any wheat with it.

So, in my case, it was the crackers, not the cheese; the wheat cereal, not the milk; and the soy products were the WORST. I hadn't gotten to gluten free yet, but when I did, my aching hands dramatically.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-09-20, 06:08

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

wtg Bob

Quote:
Cookie solution:

Sounds like a great name for a book