Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 07:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Aged cheeses cause my hands problems. Hands get stiff overnight during sleep, then Loosen up with use, back to great function.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 07:19
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 199/201/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress: -5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I had a dramatic downturn in my autoimmune condition during a very stressful time when I got off track with my eating. I got dramatic results with a three day fast, followed by meat & salt only for three weeks. Then I started a strict program of adding on ONE food item, over days. I wanted to really get a handle on what I can't eat.

When you started adding back foods did you start with a particular list of foods, like bob-o-rama mentioned, or did you eliminate what you had been eating previously?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Aged cheeses cause my hands problems. Hands get stiff overnight during sleep, then Loosen up with use, back to great function.

I also get that.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 07:24

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hello. I have a sort of leg injury. I used to be very active and I tripped and fell the day after Christmas and pulled my left abductor muscle. I never took an MRI but I should have. At first I worked out I was okay but i then re aggravated it and then life happened: I had the regular flu on Jan 10th then my daughter had the regular flu on jan 21st. Then in feb break I had to work and had my daughter so didn’t change my eating. Then I went for an appt but the dr was an orthopedist not muscle expert and only took xrays no mri which did not help me he said physical therapy then this whole covid 19 thing in ny and i was home with my daughter. I went on a very low carb diet for a week and lost over 5 lbs in 6 days but my mom who I love said she was going to calorie count and had me go off my plan. She has since regretted that.
Here is what I want: I want to be thin ..Now and I can’t exercise like I used to and also I’m thinking if I get off the extra weight I will be able to move more and maybe heal myself

Many of the shake powder I have at home has soy in it but I wasn’t even using the shakes I was just eating carbs and not paying attention to anything and gained the 5.2 lbs I had lost.

I am a little worried about hanging skin though if I lose too fast.
Do you think a very low carb diet can help me with this strained abductor muscle injury?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 08:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043ched
That's an amazing result. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.

I had a neighbor, in her early 40s who was walking her dog and needing a cane. I asked and she said arthritis in her knees.

I gave her the diet, and in a few weeks she was walking without the cane. She was following the diet.

Then a few months later she started with the cane again. I asked her if the diet had quit working and she said that the diet was great but she just couldn't give up her pasta and fruit.

I'd rather walk than eat any particular food. And I'd much rather give up certain foods than eventually need a knee or hip replacement. When the doc recommended this diet, I though I was headed for a hip replacement, now it's 99.999% better. If I drive in a car for 8 or so hours without cruise control, I get a sensation in my hip reminding me of bygone days. It isn't pain, or ache, just a slight discomfort.

The main things the diet forbids are:

1) High glycemic foods - great for us with keto

2) High arachidonic acid foods - chicken - eggs - organ meats - preferring grass-fed beef to grain-fed or grain-finished. This one is more difficult but giving up egg yolks and chicken works for me. I love chicken and eggs but I never liked organ meats. I like the taste of grass-fed beef better.

3) Nightshades for some - I can do nightshades my DW cannot. I do very little, not keeping it around the house to torture her taste buds.

So far, I don't know of a single person that this diet hasn't worked for.

Give it a month at 100% and if you don't feel better, let me know.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 09:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

I'd rather walk than eat any particular food.

Bob

I agree, there isn't any food worth losing the ability to walk comfortably.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 11:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
When you started adding back foods did you start with a particular list of foods, like bob-o-rama mentioned, or did you eliminate what you had been eating previously?

I added back foods in order of what I missed most Went like:

avocado
guacamole
organic cheese
berries

ok so far

as things progressed I was surprised at how quickly and how nasty the reaction would be

a FEW black beans in a salad -- queasy feeling
ONE cashew: two days of nausea
frozen cauliflower crust pizza: violent 12 hour period like I'd been poisoned

It turns out that brand of pizza used brown rice flour: loaded with lectins. So now I avoid lectins the way I do gluten and soy.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 13:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think dairy and beans and nuts are all hard on my joints, in addition to wheat.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 13:20

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I posted a short time ago stating I was eating a casual low carb style. I have since switched to a stricter keto style, but still not weighing, measuring or recording macros or ketones. While I still need to lose weight, the main reason I switched was I have a lot of stiffness and I have seen mentioned that it is often caused by inflammation, which keto reduces. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with that and what that experience has been. Its only been a little more than a week, but I've seen some claims of an almost immediate change. Is it just a keto diet, it it related to a drop in blood glucose, do you have to be in ketosis, or do you need to actually lose a significant amount of weight before seeing a change.

My experience is ALWAYS that joint pain (especially fingers, wrist and hands) disappears after just a couple of days on keto. Sugar and carbs makes it come back. I also take Omega 3's daily, but low carb helps far more than that.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 11:33

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

When my inflammation flares up, I go into trace carb mode the next day. I can feel the inflammation dying down. It disappears the day after next day.

It has something to do with our gut microbial. The toxic they release into blood stream caused inflammation.

The reason I go into trace carb mode is because some carb in low carb mode will still sustain the live of the toxic gut microbial. If they continue releasing the toxic, our inflammation will not go away.

So go into trace carb mode is to kill them and stop them from spreading the toxic into our blood stream.