Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 18:44

Plan: Atkins/Carb Addicts
Stats: 375/303/225
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Potassium Bicarbonate

I just read an article in this month's Muscle & Fitness where they recommend that bodybuilders and anyone eating a diet heavy in protein take potassium bicarbonate as a supplement. The article suggested 6 grams a day or 3 Alka-Seltzer Gold (not Cold) tablets. The basis for the need for this supplement is that high protein ingestion causes your blood to be very acidic. The potassium bicarbonate acts as a base and levels the PH of your blood. If your blood is very acidic it presents the right enviroment for a number of health issues. I wasn't able to find the supplement, however, I was able to find Alka-Seltzer Gold on-line at drugstore.com. It's inexpensive (less than $5.00 for 36 tablets) and easy to take. I have been taking just 2 tablets a day at bedtime and I notice I don't get heartburn attacks during the night. I've also noticed reduced sweating, no ketosis breath and elimination of what I perceived as a distinct odor related to eating large amounts of protein. I also take 2 tablets at other times during the day if my stomach is upset from something I ate. Has anyone else heard of the need to keep your blood PH in check while on a high protein/low carb diet? Any input regarding the use of potassium biacarbonate and high protein diets?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 19:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah - I find nutritional talk of blood pH confusing and misleading. Your blood pH, like body temperature for example, is one of those things your body keeps within a very narrow range by homeostasis. You have to try pretty hard to get it abnormal: with the temperature example, you'd either have a severe illness causing fever, or hypothermia. Any other time, your body keeps your temperature pretty steady. Death will result if it gets too far out range, but you can survive in the heat or the cold for quite a while and your body temperature will be fairly constant.

Likewise with pH: the only people with too high or too low a pH are those with a serious metabolic disease, or those who have overdosed on something. That type of thing. Acidosis/alkalosis = a trip to the ICU. I seriously doubt that anyone could eat enough protein to put themselves into acidosis.

Additionally, at about 2 or as low as 1 sometimes, your stomach pH is *far* more acidic than anything you could possibly call food. How could it be, then, that far less acidic amino acids could make one's blood more acidic?

One more point: it's generally a fallacy that Atkins or most other LC plans discussed here are high protein plans. They are *adequate* protein plans. I can see how some readers of M&F might fit into the category of "high protein", but few on this forum would.

My $0.02, WFIW...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 19:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jaydee,

The body regulates its own pH level within very close parameters (7.35 to 7.45). Mostly by the lungs and kidneys.

In fact, nothing you take can affect your blood's pH. You can change the pH of your urine, not your blood, and therefore the body's tissues.

It's interesting that when you hear of something that is supposed to make you more or less "acidic," it means someone is trying to sell something!

The bicarbonate (which is strongly antacid) will be responsible for the removal of your heartburn.

Sorry to "rain on your parade," Jaydee, but the body's self regulation of its pH is solid scientific fact.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 22:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi JayDee .. I've moved your post to the Supplements forum so interested folks can find it, and removed the duplicate from the other Potassium thread. This way, everything's all in one place and helps to avoid missed replies.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 01:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Just a note about the AlkaSeltzer Gold effervescent tablets. One tablet contains the following ingredients:
  • Sodium Bicarbonate (958 mg (Heat Treated)), Citric Acid (832mg), Potassium Bicarbonate (312 mg)
The sodium bicarbonate will yield 311mg sodium when dissolved. Persons on a sodium-restricted diet should not use these.

Persons taking certain blood pressure medications (ACE inhibitors) or potassium-sparing diuretics, or persons with kidney disease should not take these due to the potassium content.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 04:14

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Addressing the Ph thing here: taking sodium/potassium bicarbonate will lower the ph of your stomach acid, not the body. For that you need to eat foods that will digest as alkaline rather than acid. For example, an orange will test acid outright and it also stays acidic throughout your digestive tract, which can cause irritation. Grapefruit, for example, (and to a certain extent, lemons) test acid outright, but *digest* more alkaline thereby eliminating the irritation. I think the ph discussion is more on keeping the irritation factor down since fighting an irritant robs us of energy. Also if our digested food is too acidic it may also be acidic upon elimination, which means it further irritates our bladder, kidneys, and bowels, which isn't good. A lot of our protective mucous/membranes are sensitive to ph changes and may break down if we digest too acidic all the time. Also certain diseases cause acidic reactions, such as bone cancer. In an attempt to keep the body's ph within it's normal range, the body will leach calcium from the bone (calcium is alkaline), thereby causing brittleness and the classic symptom of easily broken bone as a result of bone cancer. Meat and grains are both somewhat acidic when digested. Most vegetables are not. A lot of fruits are not. Basically do what Momma says: Eat your vegetables. Particularly if you eat a lot of meat or grains. Drink lots of pure water. If you take a supplement, get it as close to natural as possible. Liquid vitamin/minerals usually are better absorbed. If you eat red meat at least twice a week, don't take extra iron. Iron 'poisoning' is on the rise from taking too much non-organic iron. Give blood to reduce your iron load and the Red Cross will thank you for doing both you and them a favor.