Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 20:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Thought I was a turtle... but...

I lost another 8 pounds for a total of 35 in 14 weeks. not bad stats.

I would like to share my experience with everyone in the turtle club. I thought I was a turtle. I went a month without dropping a pound. I also thought I was eating the right amounts of foods. Really keeping an eye on my carbs... Much to my surprise .. what I found out was that I was eating too much protein. Having too much protein(amino acids) can also cause an insulin surge. So I went to the Zone website and calculated protein grams for my lean body mass. I adjusted my protein and then upped my carbs a bit to about 40-60 a day. Some days I stay at 20. My weight is melting off...

It feels great. If anyone has any questions or would like support, please e-mail me...

Thinning together...

Ramona
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 20:57

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default tell me more

Will you explain that a bit better? I've been LC'ing since about 12/15/01 and have only seen about 8 pounds off and no real difference in measurements at all. The weight fluctuates, ya know? I've been dragging my hubby along and he is losing, though not as fast as he would like. So, if you could help?

Say hello to Phoenix for me. I sure do miss Arizona!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 17:15

Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress:
Default slower than a turtle

I started Atkins on January 1st. I lost 6 pounds within the first two weeks and have not lost an ounce since. Everyone that I know that is on this diet is having great success - the weight is melting off. I am starting to think that I am insulin resistant - but I could be looking for an excuse.

The way I typically eat is - 2 eggs and 3 sausage links for breakfast

Lunch is tuna salad on a bed of lettuce, or leftover dinner

Dinner is usually pork chops, steak, chicken, hamburger, etc. and I have cooked cabbage, or mashed cauliflower. For a snack I eat venison sausage and colby cheese.

I have given up diet coke, alcohol & gum. I am extremely disappointed that I have made these drastic changes and my weight is still the same. It can make a person very discouraged.

Any input you can give to help me is greatly appreciated.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:26

BF:
Angry

I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm in the same boat. My weight loss fluctuates from 6 - 8 pounds in two months. I am very frustrated, too. I've pretty much tried everything.

Have you started a journal? Have you plugged your intake into www.fitday.com? Have you posted out where the experts read?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:15

BF:

Aztovaalex and Laurie Lou...

Basically, even tho I had been following Atkins.. I was eating too much protein. The way I came to this conclusion was by reading the Zone. In there he makes reference to eating enough protein suitable to your lean body mass. He also give you the way to calculate your lean body mass. This can also be found on his website. WELL.. when I did the calculations I discovered I was eating too much protein. For my lean body mass I am to eat about 97 grams a day.. so I divided it among my meals and snackes... that seemed to do the trick.. plus I added a few more carbs.. I usually have a small gala apple a day.. and I always make sure I eat protein with my carb to balance it out... and then maybe a muffin or something.. every other day... I seemed to have found my "Zone"..

I weigh in next week.. so we will see how it goes...

The only thing I can recommend is check out the Atkins site to get you lean body mass... and how many grams of protein for your body and then calculate your protein intake for an average day.. how many ounces or pieces you eat of whatever you eat.. I thnk you might be surprised like I was...

According to Barry Sears / Zone... protein is broken down into amino acids.. and if you have too much amino acids in your body.. it will do the same as it does with sugar.. and secrete insulin.. thus.. not weight loss...

Let me know if you want some help...

Ramona
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by RamonaK
According to Barry Sears / Zone... protein is broken down into amino acids.. and if you have too much amino acids in your body.. it will do the same as it does with sugar.. and secrete insulin.. thus.. not weight loss...

Actually, Ramona, when excess protein is turned into glucose via gluconeogenesis, it does not cause a rise in insulin.

[the following copied from Orion1 at Protein Power BB]

Whenever the blood glucose level drops, signals are sent to put the gluconeogenetic machinery to work. This process is under the control of glucagon, cortisol or epinephrine, the three of them acting under different circumstances. Glucagon and insulin don’t work both at the same time. That is, if glucagon is “on” and controlling gluconeogenesis, insulin is “off”, and vice versa. Following this reasoning, if insulin is off (actually that means not present in excess), fat storage is also controlled, and fat release from the fat cells is favored (another process influenced by glucagon).

The process of gaining weight by storing fat into the fat cells needs fat, on one side, and insulin on the other side to activate the process. The process of gaining weight by making fat requires excess carbohydrates on one side and insulin on the other side to activate fat synthesis. With glucagon being released instead, a signal of low carbohydrate, these processes are inhibited. Thus, the mere conversion of amino acids into glucose by gluconeogenesis should not be misunderstood as a mechanism through which fat can be synthesized or deposited into the fat cells. The glucose produced by gluconeogenesis has a “tag” on it, if you will, and it will serve as a supply for blood glucose when the levels fall.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:12

BF:

Thanks for the feedback Nat.. but as far as I am concerned.. I did what he suggested and it worked!!!! Apparently there must be some type of relationship... maybe at this at this point, un distinguished by your research. I wanted to share my experience with others just incase they might be experiencing the same thing....

If anyone has other questions... or would like any help... let me know..

Ramona
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 11:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

No one was implying that it didnt work, Ramona. However the "Why" it worked could be many things; It could have been that you were due to lose, it could have been the increased carbs, it could have been joining the gym.

On a 40/30/30 plan like the Zone it is possible that excess protein could cause a rise in insulin when that person has a greater degree of insulin insensitivity - because the carbs are much higher than Atkins (usually around 5%-10%). In the absence of excess carbohydrates, however, this is not the case.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 19:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

My personal experience has been that by INCREASING my protein, and ensuring that I consume a minimum of 100 grams .. preferably 120 grams .. that my weight loss has rallied, and I feel better as well. There's more to protein requirement than a person's weight and LBM .. I'm disabled and very sedentary. One would think that my protein needs would be low, but in fact, they are high.

Everyone is different, and it's terrific when you branch out, seek information and find out for yourself what works for YOU.

Here's to continued success!

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 16:30

BF:

well.. my point was to give others another option if perhaps they were stuck or on a stall. I know that really helped me to experiment and see alternatives. I agree everyone's body is different with different requirements. I really don't believe there is the ultimate answer for everyone as some people imply... that is the beauty of science.. we uncover new information by experimenting.

If I can help and 'encourage' others on their path of discovery.. that is what I am committed to doing...

I don't profess to know all ... like others on this website... I can only share my experience and hope it is appreciated by others...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 12:32

BF:
Angry well

I'm ready to quit anyway, so was groping for hope. So, thanks to all of you.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 12:04

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Where did you find the thing to calcuate protein?

I know I'm a month late but hopefully someone that knows can answer me lol But um where did you find the calculator to figure out if your eating too much protein? To my understanding, I could eat as much protein as I want. Thats basically all I eat. So I must be eating too much..

I tried to find the zone site, I couldn't..
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 20:07

BF:

#14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 11:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 336/278/145 Female 5'3
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 30%

I think I will check that out as well, I seem to be stuck at the moment.