Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 250/245/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Here's the recipe for One Minute Muffins:

1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

Melt butter in a large coffee cup. Add the egg and the dry ingredients; mix well. Microwave for 1-minute.

I grind the flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. The muffins are pretty good, a little dry so a little butter on them helps. You can change the recipe, different spices, oil instead of butter, etc.

About my experience with Schwarzbein and Atkins, I feel better when I eat low carb, but after doing both diets for several months my BP went up to borderline hypertension and my cholestoral went up. When I was on a vegetarian diet my BP was nice and low, and my cholestoral went down a little bit. Its always on the high side though, no matter what diet I'm on.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 04:32

Plan: Eat Fat Get Thin
Stats: 162/158/144 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Anniriki,

Have you heard of the Hauser approach or the blood type diet or Dr Mercola's metabolic typing? It may be that the way you digest food means that you suit a more vegi-based approach. I don't personally recommend the Hauser diet by the way, you have to visit their clinic for blood tests etc etc but you might want to explore whether you suit another approach.

I feel okish lowcarbing and don't have a temptation to binge. I don't know how it affects my blood cholesterol etc etc and generally feel best at the higher end of the carb spectrum ie closer to 60 (on Eat Fat get thin). I do sometimes wonder about the amount of fat I am consuming. I am losing weight that said!!

I found Schwarzbein very interesting because of her therapeutic experience with diabetics.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 05:36
Registered Member

BF:

Kapri, I think you are on the right track with your carbs. Each person seems to have a different optimum level they can tolerate without negative side effects. I have heard of the blood type book and looked at the website. According to them a type O needs to eat more protein. I just have to figure out the right ratio of carbs to protein to fat for my body. I read the entire thread on Dr K's diet all the way from when they started it on the fructose thread. I tried that ratio with more fat and less protein but it didn't work at all for me. It set me up for more cravings and I gained weight, though I still like the idea of consuming less protein. Maybe that's why I gravitate towards Schwarzbein and South Beach. They both promote lots of veggies, monounsaturated fats and not too much protein. Several doctors I know, both personally and professionally, have recommended South Beach and I do trust their judgement. I've never heard of the Hauser approach, but since I rarely see my regular doctor ($ problems...) I'm not about to get involved with something like that. I'm hoping that by cutting out gluten completely, avoiding dairy for the most part, and getting the right balance of carbs to protein and fats I will be able to shed this weight and feel good while I'm doing it.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-09, 21:16

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Ann, oddly enough my blood pressure is up too (but was lower when doing just the blending type meals and I wasn't craving meat...lost the craving completely) and I can't seem to figure out what is going on... I know if I consume processed foods like sausage or too much salt (like I did in my beans today), my feet swells and my blood pressure spikes! Thanks for the recipe, I do a flax bread that is similiar...

The odd thing is that my blood pressure was high when I went to the doctor around November and I didn't think anything about it at that time. However, since starting hormones it has been spikes so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

I need to go to the doctor and have some testing done!

I like the higher carb ranges too...for the past two days I have been eating every 2 hours to stop the insulin spikes that I was having and that has been working. However, I feel a bit sedated (not as light as when I do the blending and then two light meals) on the carbs...had 1/4 cup of oatmeal for breakfast...and 2 cups of pinto beans for dinner and salad... It ended up being 83 carbs but perhaps my body is just not used to that many carbs...or all that protein...really not sure!

It is a struggle trying to figure out what works, especially now with these things going on...

TJ
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:

It really is a struggle to figure out what works, I know just how you feel TJ. It would be so much easier if we had access to frequent blood tests to see how our bodies react to a change in diet, but that's not an option for me. So I have to do the best I can and pay attention to how my body reacts to certain foods. Too many carbs make me sluggish and tired, and gluten is the worst thing I can eat. It makes me sluggish, tired, and hurt from head to toe. I am weary of always feeling bad. I wish I could turn back the clock and undo the damage I've done from years of poor food choices. It helps to know we're all in this together.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 15:27

So far so good with getting in the 15 carbs at each meal, 7 at snacks, and eating every couple of hours. My blood sugar seems more stable! That's a good thing. I'm making the flax bread more often and eating some of that at each meal and it seems to do the trick...can't have too many other grains because of yeast overgrowth...plus it is very low in carbs for a slice...6 carbs!

TJ
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 04:02

BF:

Anniriki,

I'll look into South Beach..thanks. I have really gone a bit bananas over the last two days ..a course yesterday with sanwhiches provided left me with a bit of an excuse to go carb mad in the evening.

I must say that on Eat Fat Get Thin I truly don't battle carb cravings, esp pre-menstrual ones, in any way like I did when I was going down the healthy 'balanced' diet route. I realy need to watch the carbs both at the level of too few and at the level of too many!

Kapri
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 08:10
Registered Member

BF:

I've had a good couple of days, even lost a few pounds. I do so much better with controling the cravings when I eat less carbs during the day. Yesterday I ate low carb all day and had a bowl of oatmeal sweetened with splenda before bed. It was good, like dessert. I wonder if it would work on a daily basis to eat low carb during the day and then have your carbs after dinner so you don't crave them all day long like you would if you ate them in the morning. Also, Schwarzbein says its not a good idea to go too low in carbs.
I'm not sure if oatmeal is a good idea if I'm trying to cut out gluten. I guess its worth a try to see if this works, and if not oats, then maybe some other gluten free carb will work just as well. So far so good.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 03:38

BF:

Annriki,

Advice varies ..some people say no carbs after 5pm but I have read sensible writers who suggest carbs in the evening.

I have found when I am too low carb that I don't sleep well at night. However, a small bowl of oats, small amount of cream/butter. a squirt of agave nectar for instance, is really helpful. It gets me through the night without hunger pangs waking me up at 3am.

Kapri
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 11:17

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

Actually you are following the "Potatoes Not Prozac" plan by eating low carb all day, then having a starch/carb before bedtime. It's supposed to increase serotonin production during the night, better sleep and dreams....I may try the oatmeal before bed too. But it's getting my carbs under control during the day that I need to focus on. Already off to a bad start today....but there's always tomorrow....
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 14:47
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

I know what you mean about controlling carbs during the day. Yesterday was good, today... not so good. After a lifetime of dieting, actually since I was in the 4th grade, I am obsessed with food and my hunger never really goes away. Eating low carb helps me control the cravings, but like they said in OA when I used to attend their meetings many years ago, you're only one bite away from a binge. I read Potatoes Not Prozac a few years ago. I remember she said to have a potato before bed, I think she even let you have butter on it. If I remember correctly her diet was to help with weight loss but also to relieve depression. Sometimes having a starch before bed helps me sleep, but then there are many nights when I don't sleep no matter what I do.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 17:43

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroheFrau
Hi,
Schwarzbein says that a diet too low in carbs can cause stress to the adrenal glands. It can also stress the thyroid gland.

Some people, for what ever reason (job, finances, family, etc) are under a lot of stress anyway---and are living unaware that their adrenal glands are in some stage of exhaustion. When the adrenals are stressed, it puts stress on the thyroid.

Because eating a VLC diet requires a strong,healthy endocrine system (adrenals, thyroid, etc.) those people who have a stressed, overworked, endocrine system will feel worse on fewer carbs! A VLC diet for an already weakened endocrine system is a recipe for disaster.

I speak from personal experience as well as having read Dr. Schwarzbein's books.

Frohefrau

Thank you for this thread!!! I didn't know anything about this plan.....and I too can agree that I feel horrible on very low carb. I just ordered all 4 books including the cookbook on Amazon Used......can't wait to read them!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 21:29

Default Ginger Tea Works for Sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
I know what you mean about controlling carbs during the day. Yesterday was good, today... not so good. After a lifetime of dieting, actually since I was in the 4th grade, I am obsessed with food and my hunger never really goes away. Eating low carb helps me control the cravings, but like they said in OA when I used to attend their meetings many years ago, you're only one bite away from a binge. I read Potatoes Not Prozac a few years ago. I remember she said to have a potato before bed, I think she even let you have butter on it. If I remember correctly her diet was to help with weight loss but also to relieve depression. Sometimes having a starch before bed helps me sleep, but then there are many nights when I don't sleep no matter what I do.

I read Potatoes not Prozac and it kind of changed my life... The potato did help me sleep and when I woke up in the morning I felt calm...still do when I eat them...now I use yams though! Also something else that helps with sleep is ginger tea. You can get some fresh ginger...peel it and slice it up....fill the pot with water and let it cook down to about 1/2 until it is kind of thick... I then drink a glass before bedtime....about 15 minutes before and eat a couple of slices of the ginger! Since I started this I have been getting rem sleep...having dreams...something I hardly ever had before! Also I sleep for 6-7 hours when I was sleeping for 3-4 prior to that! The tea is kind of spicy and I don't add sugar....I just sprinkle it with cinnamon...it is strangely calming and I have a cup during the day when I get a bit anxious....

So far, so good with eating every couple of hours...seemed to stabilize my blood sugars... Today I had 1/4 of a banana with some greek yogurt..it was very good, filling, and energizing!

Yesterday I did a test to see how I would feel eating nuts every couple of hours....salt free almonds and walnuts....all day...I was not hungry AT ALL...couldn't believe it and blood sugar never dropped...it was quite interesting! Today, however, I was tired, very tired...so I added back my regular carbs!

Hope everyone else is having a great time on plan. Oh, lost a few pounds...but not back at my 212...215 though!

TJ
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 05:03
Registered Member

BF:

Welcome to Dr Schwarzbein's plan Ndelacourt. It a good one, sensible and steady, a good WOE for the rest of your life. Let us know what you think of the books after you read them.

Ginger tea as a sleep aid? I knew it was good to settle your stomach, but didn't know it helped calm you down enough to sleep. I will definitely give it a try.

After several sleepless nights I finally got a good night of sleep last night, and I did have some oats before bed. A yam or even a yukon gold potato sounds good, too. With butter, of course.

Haven't tried agave nectar. I know people use it instead of sugar and its supposed to keep your blood sugar steady. I recently read that it makes no difference if you use sugar, honey, or agave nectar, just stay away from high fructose corn syrup. I try to stay away from all of it, and don't use much artificial sweetener either. For me, it doesn't matter if the sweetner is natural or artificial, it still sets me up to crave more.

I'm going on a trip next week. I'm a little concerned about getting the right food while traveling. If I make too many exceptions and just eat like everyone else I wind up feeling awful, and I don't want that to happen. I'll do my best to stay low carb and gluten free. I'll be anxious to come back next weekend and read about how all of you are doing. Have a good one!
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniriki
Welcome to Dr Schwarzbein's plan Ndelacourt. It a good one, sensible and steady, a good WOE for the rest of your life. Let us know what you think of the books after you read them.

Ginger tea as a sleep aid? I knew it was good to settle your stomach, but didn't know it helped calm you down enough to sleep. I will definitely give it a try.

After several sleepless nights I finally got a good night of sleep last night, and I did have some oats before bed. A yam or even a yukon gold potato sounds good, too. With butter, of course.

Haven't tried agave nectar. I know people use it instead of sugar and its supposed to keep your blood sugar steady. I recently read that it makes no difference if you use sugar, honey, or agave nectar, just stay away from high fructose corn syrup. I try to stay away from all of it, and don't use much artificial sweetener either. For me, it doesn't matter if the sweetner is natural or artificial, it still sets me up to crave more.

I'm going on a trip next week. I'm a little concerned about getting the right food while traveling. If I make too many exceptions and just eat like everyone else I wind up feeling awful, and I don't want that to happen. I'll do my best to stay low carb and gluten free. I'll be anxious to come back next weekend and read about how all of you are doing. Have a good one!

Hey Ann,

Happy to hear that you finally got some sleep...thumbs up for that carb... I'm with you on the sweeteners too, it doesn't matter what type it is it still sends me into a frenzy! Lately, I'm learning just to let the sweeteners go...occasionally using black strap molasses in my hot chocolate!

So far so good today, worked in the yard...feeling good... Hope everyone has a great weekend!

By the way, the ginger tea works for me...hope someone else finds it useful for sleep!

TJ