Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 03:14
Registered Member

Plan: Fm diet
Stats: 140/140/70 Female 5feet 7ins
BF:
Progress:
Question hello can u answer some of my Q please?

hello everyone i joined up to this site only last night
abit about me ok am from the UK and i have had fibromyagia for 10 years now and am housebound simple things in life make me bedridden
i have only found out that diet can help fibromyagia a bit late i know
the Doctors cant do thing for me full stop i have seen 2 Rheumatology doctors and they have told me that they cant do a thing for me at all
i have been Referd to 2 pain ciinics and have been truned Down for treatment and i wanted to know if a FM diet helps anyof you guys?(which diet are you on?) and what have you all eliminated from your diet? and do you have to stay on that diet for 4ever? and what kinda food makes fibromyagia pain come back? have anyof you had a food intorlance test done? and what was the out come of it? am very lost as i have done a lot of Reserch on it and everyone is saying a diffrent things so am lost has going on a diet made any of you go into Remission?
i have been looking into the SCD aswell any one got any views on it? any good? and should i cut out Rice from my diet aswell as wheat/flour/any form of wheat?
Do you guys cut out red meat? and dairy products/potatoes tomatoes/peppers/eggplant as thesse have been said that they make fibro worse!!! i have started my diet 2 days ago now and am getting withdraw symptoms i think they are??? am getting headaches and going to the Loo alot and the 1st night i started i was getting weak arms all night long they keept on going and weak leg yestoday aswell is this normal??? and do you know how long it lasts?? well i hope you can help me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 04:31

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibroart
hello everyone i joined up to this site only last night
abit about me ok am from the UK and i have had fibromyagia for 10 years now and am housebound simple things in life make me bedridden
i have only found out that diet can help fibromyagia a bit late i know
the Doctors cant do thing for me full stop i have seen 2 Rheumatology doctors and they have told me that they cant do a thing for me at all
i have been Referd to 2 pain ciinics and have been truned Down for treatment and i wanted to know if a FM diet helps anyof you guys?(which diet are you on?) and what have you all eliminated from your diet? and do you have to stay on that diet for 4ever? and what kinda food makes fibromyagia pain come back? have anyof you had a food intorlance test done? and what was the out come of it? am very lost as i have done a lot of Reserch on it and everyone is saying a diffrent things so am lost has going on a diet made any of you go into Remission?
i have been looking into the SCD aswell any one got any views on it? any good? and should i cut out Rice from my diet aswell as wheat/flour/any form of wheat?
Do you guys cut out red meat? and dairy products/potatoes tomatoes/peppers/eggplant as thesse have been said that they make fibro worse!!! i have started my diet 2 days ago now and am getting withdraw symptoms i think they are??? am getting headaches and going to the Loo alot and the 1st night i started i was getting weak arms all night long they keept on going and weak leg yestoday aswell is this normal??? and do you know how long it lasts?? well i hope you can help me

Hi:

First of all I have to see everything is so individual with diet, illness and the person. What works for me, might not work for, but I'm willing to share my info.

I have fibro too. I was just diagnosed in March and have have it almost three years. I even went through a pregnancy with it. I thought I was going to die and no one knew why or what was wrong. I was even beginning to think people and medical professionals throught I was nutso.

I have been following low carb off and on over the years and have had success in between two pregnancies. When I got started again in May '05, my losses have been so slow and stopped in Nov. I have no lost anything since.

I was still having really bad symptoms even while eating lc and supplementing with vitamins, minerals, and herbs for normal maintenance. My symptoms continued to get worse, so to make a long story short I got to the doctor and he diagnozed along with saying there wasn't much he could do. I was also turned down for accupuncture through the hospital. It sure can make a person feel helpless.

I know it's my responsiblity to do all I can to make myself better, so I continue to follow the lc diet, avoid wheat, oats, rye, and barley. I don't eat much red meat only because it's not as good in Sweden as in America and it's expensive to boot. I plan to lc for a lifetime, because I feel so much better while following it. I eat peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant. I notice that I feel more pain if I eat wheat and feel really crappy if I eat sugar or other starches (that's not even counting when I had fibro).

I have also changed my supplementation regime and have seen a little improvement over the last month.

There are no gaurentees with fibro, you can get completely well, become worse, or have flare ups. You just never know. I am definitely hoping to get over mine, so I can function on a more normal level.

You can have what is called induction flu, which comes on by drastically reducing carbs. You can have headache, trots, aches, rashes, tiredness and weakness. Most people combat this by drinking water and taking supplements. This usually passes within a week.

Here is a linkto a thread where I asked for advice, maybe you can gleen something from there and then you can cruise by my journal if you're interested. Just click on the journal button at the bottom of my post. Come visit if you like.

I wish you the best on regaining your health.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 14:29

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Welcome!

Everything Stardust said is correct.

But for me, low carb was and is the answer.

I'm totally pain free when I low carb. And if I go off track, I don't feel pain immediately as long as I get right back on. But if I get off for two days or more, then I start feeling it big time.

I don't eat potato...don't like eggplant, but i do eat peppers and tomato.

Yes, you can feel like crap the first few days, but then you'll feel better. I can not do the extreme low carb because I felt like crap all the time...so I have learned to add in a little bit of fruit with breakfast and lunch. I guess you could say i don't do well on induction Atkins...I have to start out with the ongoing phase...weight loss is slower but I feel better that way. And then I just never changed it...stayed at the same level the whole time and still do. Not losing anymore weight, but I'm assuming that's because my body likes where it is right now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 18:01

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I found a Dr. who follows Dr. Teitelbaum's protocol. Dr. Teitelbaum has fibro himself and has made it his specialty. You can read about it in the book From Fatigued to Fantastic. His site is Vitality101. It's a very thorough protocol, I doubt if they miss much. Their approach is SHIN: sleep, hormonal balance, infection, and nutrition.
I'm in the beginning of my treatment, so can't tell you much yet, except I've had a terrible insomnia problem which is being successfully addressed, and so I feel better already.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 03:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Quitetone Thats Great News To Hear!!! :)

hello there thank you guys so much for your reply have had a Bionetics hair test done and i have just had my Test Report come though today and am Food Intolerances are Rice, pork,onion, Aubergines( i dont have a clue what that is lol) watermelon, when it comes to rice i dont if that means wheat as well and Gluten??? anyone know? am so happy to hear that Quitetone i wanted to get in touch with you i cant PM you as it will not let me
i wanted to ask for your email address if thats ok? so we can keep in touch (i dont know if i can ask that on here) fibro fog LOL Quitetone can you tell me what foods that you avoid? do you eat potoes? cant spell lol
how long have you been on your diet? and how long did your withdraw syptoms last? and how long did it take on your diet for your fibromaygia pain to go into Remission?
well hope to hear from you soon
fibroart

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Everything Stardust said is correct.

But for me, low carb was and is the answer.

I'm totally pain free when I low carb. And if I go off track, I don't feel pain immediately as long as I get right back on. But if I get off for two days or more, then I start feeling it big time.

I don't eat potato...don't like eggplant, but i do eat peppers and tomato.

Yes, you can feel like crap the first few days, but then you'll feel better. I can not do the extreme low carb because I felt like crap all the time...so I have learned to add in a little bit of fruit with breakfast and lunch. I guess you could say i don't do well on induction Atkins...I have to start out with the ongoing phase...weight loss is slower but I feel better that way. And then I just never changed it...stayed at the same level the whole time and still do. Not losing anymore weight, but I'm assuming that's because my body likes where it is right now.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 07:14

Hi, fibroart.

I started again for the last time, about a year ago.

I can't say exactly when the pain stopped...kinda like six weeks in or so one day I realized I didn't have any body pain...anywhere. Not even orthopedic pain where I've had injuries/surgeries. The fibrofog completely stopped within about a week or so.

No, I don't eat potatos. They are a huge weakness for me, so I don't even start down that road.

I had to get out of induction because I never felt better. I had to up my carbs like OWL to feel better. And I still eat the same way because I feel so good. I had always been afraid to do that because I was worreid I wouldn't have the appetite suppressing effect if I upped them, but I still did. The trick to that is making sure you're eating enough fat.

A typical meal plan for me is this:

I still drink coffee with sweet/low and cream.
Breakfast: a high fat meat;eggs;half an apple
Lunch: meat;green vegs with butter; cheese or whole milk; 1/2 cup fruit
Dinner: same as lunch

I sometimes go off course for special occasions, but I go right back the next day.

I can't give you my email address because it would become public...you will eventually be able to send a PM.

Hope this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thanks it has helped me what is the indution ? and and what kinda carbs did you up ? do you get rice? wheat? suger? sweet potatos? Yogert? and do you get alot of diary?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 13:25

see the detailed daily menus in the other email.

Induction is the first phase of Atkins..under 20 grams of carb.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 12:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
see the detailed daily menus in the other email.

Induction is the first phase of Atkins..under 20 grams of carb.

do you find that wholegain flour makes you be in fibro pain at all?