Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 15:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Soup, soup, beautiful soup!

I love soup and now that the weather's finally turned cold, I miss my hot soup, thick with all kinds of goodies, for lunch. Does anyone have any LC soup suggestions? I've thought of stewing up some chicken or beef with a nice broth and adding some shredded cabbage and/or chopped spinach leaves, but haven't got beyond that. Maybe a little chopped tomato?

Coquina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 150/121/120
BF:
Progress: 97%
Lightbulb Bountiful soups

Have you checked the Low-Carb Kitchen section? There are soup recipes in those sections…
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 19:04

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

I'm a huge soup fan too, and haven't had but a few bowls since I started LCing.

Karen has posted the recipe for a delicious egg drop soup in the recipe section.

You can make "cream of" soup form just about anything. Use chicken broth, throw in a veggie or two, cook til soft, mash with a potato masher (nice to know there's something else to do with that darn thing) or smooth out in the blender. Add a bit of cream and there it is.

Cream of cauliflower, cream of asparagus, cream of celery, cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli...

Cream of carrot would have way too much carbs in it, as would crean of corn.

If you have Fran McCullough's low carb cookbook, there are several recipes in there.

Soup is wonderfully forgiving food. All you need is something to make broth. Then whatever feels right can go in. Green veggies (other than green beans) are not generally good ideas in clear broth soups because the broth can become very green.

My favorite in the fall was always cabbage soup..beef broth, chunky cabbage, a carrot, onion and some stewed tomatoes. You would need to watch the canned stewed tomatoes for sugar and carb counts.

...the possibilities are endless....have fun
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up Cream soups, yeah!

Thanks, Vitaka, I'll check out the recipe section. And maybe I need to get one of those LC cookbooks.

AngelaR, cream soups are a great idea, I love them! I was stuck in my old rut of the kind of soups I used to make huge pots of in the winter, with chicken broth, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes or rice or pasta, onions, several kinds of beans, and all kinds of veggies. But cream of broccoli sounds good -- maybe with a little melted cheese and some chicken breast?

Progresso & Campbell's Chunky, look out!

Coquina
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 05:01

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Re: Cream soups, yeah!

Quote:
Originally posted by coquina
I was stuck in my old rut of the kind of soups I used to make huge pots of in the winter, with chicken broth, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes or rice or pasta, onions, several kinds of beans, and all kinds of veggies.

I've been stuck in that rut too. Aside from cream of mushroom, my pref is for clear broth soups instead of cream soups, and aside from Karen's egg drop soup, I haven't ventured into soup land again. ooooooooooooh how I miss it!

*LOL* Soup lovers, well, we KNOW how to make a huge pot of soup, and when to make it. I would sometimes sit at work on a dreary fall day and just KNOW it was the day to make up a big batch of cabbage soup.

If you have a copy of the old Good Housekeeping cookbook, the big format one with the section in the front with all the pictures, there is a large chapter on soups, with a to die for cream of mushroom. It needs some adjustment to make it LC. It has become a tradition in our house to have that for Christmas day lunch. I'll post the LC'd version of the recipe after Christmas.

The current Farmer's Almanac book has some recipes in it. The jambalya is amazing, and without the rice in it, would be quite acceptable. I made a big batch with rice just before I started LCing and have had to give most of it away.. It has bacon, shrimp, ham, chicken in a chicken broth with stewed tomatoes and is a bit spicy. Stick to your ribs thick soup. mmmmmmmm!

Have fun. And if you discover something interesting, please post it in the recipe section.