Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 18:17

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Losing too fast??

Hi. Dennis here. I hope this isn't a stupid question. However, today I was scolded by a guy for losing weight too fast. I have been doing LC since Nov. 14th, 2014. No wheat or gluten or sugar -- 30 grams of carbs or less a day. I am also (for about 3 weeks) doing intermitant fasting every other day. If you aren't up on that check out the Dr. Fung thread -- there are at least 42 pages so far.

I'm pretty short (5 ft. 6 in.) and weighed 312 pounds when I began. I have now lost 59 pounds (in three months). I was diagnosed with diabetes but that seems to be under control (no drugs). Also my BP has dropped to the normal range.

But I have lost pretty fast, which by the way I'm grateful for. Do some of you experienced members think this is too fast or did you experience this too? The guy who chided me thinks I'll fail because I'm losing too fast.

I don't seen any noticible problems (quite the contrary). I excercise every day and don't feel fatigued. I never get dizzy spells, even when I gave blood the other day. I still stand and teach my classes both night and day -- no fainting.

I know I'll have some loose skin but I really didn't want to lose real slow on a higher carb plan and keep those high blood sugars that cause damage. Also I'm thinking of this as a change of life, not a diet.

Anyway you folks that have been around here for a while let me know if you think this is too quick a drop of weight. I value your opinion because you've changed your lives and I really respect and admire that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 18:34

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Dennis!

COngratulations on deciding to change your life! What wonderful success you have had already!

You have the right attitude: it's not a diet. It's your new life.

I think, if you FEEL great AND are experiencing great benefits health wise, you should ignore what others have to say!

Likely, this other guy is honestly just jealous. Some people don't like to see other people succeed because they themselves have been unable to succeed.

On the other hand, some people are just negative, and others still are well-intentioned, but misguided.

Whatever his motivation, I wouldn't pay much attention to him, unless he's someone you really respect. In that case, take eth time to share the science and point him toward some of the excellent literature on our WOL. If he really cares, he'll try to understand, if not, who cares what he says!?

Sounds like you are right in the zone! Congrats again on finding what works for you!

There is a poster up in my doctor's office that explains that even a 10 pound weight loss can benefit health and reduce risk of stroke. It also explains that a minor drop in BP is extraordinarily good for overall health. So, YOU are right on track!!!

Best,
Jammie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 18:35

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

you are doing wonderful and more power to you. your body obviously loves low carb. the improved health. you feel great. the weight is dropping off your body

tell this person to mind their own business and that the purpose of this eating change is to improve yourself. AND YOU ARE DOING JUST THAT.

Do not ever let anyone sway you. stop you. upset you etc.

You are not losing too fast. you will slow down probably in a bit. you body lets it all loose at first, then your body will let the lbs go a bit slower...but you stick 100% to plan and you will hit goal.

eh, tell this person to shut up LOL
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 18:36
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

When I was 385 I lost 85 lbs before leaving low carbing. I lost 70lbs of it in the first 3 months and painfully slowly over 6 months losing 15lbs. I had similar messages to me about my fast weight loss. But when you have a lot to lose its kinda normal. Also you are in Ketosis so you are using the fuel that's your body. I have lose skin and so will anyone who lost alot fast or not fast. You are going at whatever weight loss it should be. Check your protein levels and calories to make sure you are where you need to be. then enjoy the ride.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 19:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There was a recent study that showed no advantage to slow loss over a more rapid loss when it came to regaining. Here is one link o the original study. http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...41015190832.htm
Around the time this study came out, some bloggers wrote about their experience advising on weight loss, and all agreed. Some wrote faster loss was an advantage even. So I think your rate of loss is fine.also think some the guys who post here over the years have lost just as fast.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 20:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It is an urban myth that if you lose weight really fast you can't keep it off. The only danger is that you reach goal and haven't really learned anything about maintaining. If you continue to eat more or less as you did to lose, then you won't have any issues.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 20:23

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Thanks all -- I feel better about it from your comments. You can't win -- they tell you you're too fat, then they tell you to lose slower.

Thanks Janet for that link -- I'll take note and reference that one when the subject comes up.

I'm looking out for when the weight loss will slow down. I'll try and be patient and not let the scale rule my emotions when that happens. Until then I'll continue enjoying getting into smaller clothes from time to time.

Last edited by Whited : Thu, Feb-19-15 at 21:42.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 04:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The positive reinforcement (by getting into smaller clothes) was listed as one of the advantages of faster weight loss. The psychology of the weight loss is just as important as macros. For health improvements, I think men could chuck the scale and just track how a belt fits. Losing visceral fat is where all the health gains are.

Don't assume you will have loose skin, that is genetic, age, etc realted and varies greatly. Lynne Daniel is one I know who has lost 200 pounds and has no idea where the excess skin went..it's just gone.
http://www.awlr.org/blog/low-carb-d...t-saved-my-life
Dan who posts here is a guy who does not seem to have a skin problem. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=443120 So keep up with exercise, moisturize the skin (good 'ole coconut oil or Palmers cocoa butter body oil) , etc...you may be pleasantly surprised by no loose skin either.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-20-15 at 05:05.