Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-14, 13:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%
Default What lab tests should I ask for?

I asked my doctor for a b12 blood test a few months back after hearing that metformin depletes b1. He said no, and to ask him again at my annual checkup. I'm also going to ask for magnesium. Any other recommendations for nutrient-type tests? I'm 62 now and wondering how my absorption is.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-14, 22:51

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I asked my doctor for a b12 blood test a few months back after hearing that metformin depletes b1. He said no, and to ask him again at my annual checkup. I'm also going to ask for magnesium. Any other recommendations for nutrient-type tests? I'm 62 now and wondering how my absorption is.

I would ask for vitamin D. It was routine for a while but no longer (at least with my doc). It affects so many things.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-14, 12:56

He does Vitamin D now. I had my first check last year, surprise, I was low!

I did think of something else though...insulin. I'm diabetic.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-15, 13:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not nutrients per se, but lab this lists the panels recommended by three well known functional medicine doctors. You can then look up what is included in each of the "packages", decide if the tests might be useful for you. Maybe a full thyroid panel? (see Blood Code list). http://www.saveonlabs.com/default.asp
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 05:09

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks for the list Jey. My Dr gives me the lab requisition to take to the lab. I am always tempted to add a check mark here or there for tests I want to see. Now I have a list I can choose from.

In Canada, with the long winters, Vit D levels are uniformly low. One friend had a 0 reading.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 14:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just FYI, magnesium pretty much acts an an electrolyte in the body, and the blood test is used for kidney function, etc. It doesn't really reflect dietary sufficiency or insufficiency.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 14:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Not nutrients per se, but lab this lists the panels recommended by three well known functional medicine doctors. You can then look up what is included in each of the "packages", decide if the tests might be useful for you. Maybe a full thyroid panel? (see Blood Code list). http://www.saveonlabs.com/default.asp

Wow, Jey this is interesting because you get your blood drawn at a real lab. Much better than the place I found where you have to go to their location for draws. Last time I went there the girl was afraid to put the needle in far enough to inject B-12 and it just went under the skin and it's supposed to go into the muscle so it was pretty much wasted plus it made me feel strange that time. I can't even imagine her trying to draw my blood.
Good to know that we can go to the same place that the Dr. would send us.
I am bookmarking this one. Thanks for the info!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-15, 17:12

Progress: 134%

I found these lab packages after hearing an interview with the Blood Code doctor, but I personally use DirectLabs, https://www.directlabs.com which contracts with LabCorp for all blood draws and lab analysis. So I go to a regular LabCorp office near a local hospital, have the blood drawn by a true pro (same nurse for three years now, what an expert she is at getting blood out painlessly, not even a little bruise, on the first try!) and the results are in my on-line account by the end of the next day. Direct Labs also has "packages" and monthly specials (Jan is Thyroid). I had bookmarked that lab because it listed each test used by those three doctors, And e.g., compare their thyroid choices to DL's. DL is cheaper for me full pay than Duke Healthcare with my insurance. Faster results, can print my own copies, love the service. There are a number of these on-line, direct to consumer labs now across the U.S. only prohibited in four states. Compare prices and lab locations if you are looking for one of these services. Another big one contracts with Quest which may have more or less locations where needed.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-11-15 at 05:57.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 11:08

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I didn't know local labs would be willing to draw blood and send it to a lab of your choice. I thought they needed a doctors requisition or they would not draw blood. And that they were only interested in their own labs. Interesting!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 14:53

A quick look at direct labs...Here's a list I may ask for. Whatever he doesn't ok, I might pay for myself.

C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
CALCIUM
HOMOCYST.
INSULIN
VIT D 25 HY
MAGNESIUM
POTASSIUM
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 16:48