Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 21:19

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I have a question for anyone who can answer. I have been doing Atkins for 1 month and have lost 15 lbs. I plan on doing it as a way of life, however, I am getting married in 3 and 1/2 weeks and am planning on going off the diet the nght of the wedding and the 4 nights after and then restart ( I want to be able to drink high carb drinks on my wedding, eat cake, etc.) I am concerned that if I eat no carbs up until my wedding that I will have a bad reaction on my wedding (ie get sick) when I load up on carbs. Anyone have similar experiences or am I worried for no reason. Should I ease carbs back into the diet a week before or I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 21:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Mike!

All the best in your wedding. I have 2 questions for you. Why do you go no carb before the wedding (did you mean just normal low-carb)? And why do you plan on carb loading (as opposed to just not low-carb)?

You are correct that the change from 0-carb to carb loading, especially with sugar, can cause great discomfort, as it shocks you system. Not a good thing for a newly wed However, there may not be any need for such drastic measures. Just do what you did the last month or so as far as low-carbing, which allows for some carbs, and treat yourself that special night to some goodies, without loading, it's a special day, but focus on the real dessert, not the cake

But I didn't get why it's the night plus 4 days? Is it a honymoon where you don't expect to find suitable food at hotels? They may not offer low-carb meals, but you can adjust menu items to make it so, like ask to substitute rice and potatos with salad, etc.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-01, 01:41
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 220/199/140
BF:
Progress:

Hi mike!!!
Welcome to the post here... Congrats on your first 15 lbs gone... Woo Hoo for you.
Like you said in your post, you are on this for a way of life... Well just like your upcoming Marriage it will be a commitment!!! I say go ahead and eat a "peice of cake" and have some drinks... It won't hurt you but just don't over induldge. You will have to make up for that later anyway, just make a new carb limit for the day to like 40 or 60 carbs allowed.
On a vacation such as a cruise they have such different varieties of food. This is my advice to you... and me .... and whoever else.. Fill up on protein first and finish off with your carbs... Like Wa'il said, subsitute your potato for a salad or other steamed veggies even, you can even get those with cheese!!! yum
Now go ahead and have a few drinks, and let that count as one of your carbs...
Just stick with it, be flexible with it, but don't go "off" it, because you will have to go back on.

Good luck with your diet and
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR MARRIAGE!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-01, 04:39

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

Im going to just wish you the very best and tell you to read what Tamarian said again, I was just sitting here reading and nodding me head saying, yep, yep, great point, yepper!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-01, 18:57

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Reply to Tamrian

I am sorry for not being clear. Let me give you the bottom line - I am intaking minimal carbs per day (20-30). I do like to drink (alcohol) and tHe one huge thing I had to give up for this diet is my favorite drink, which is rum and coke (cant do diet coke, makes me sick) I have been ok giving this up, however, I would really like to drink this on my wedding day and perhaps drink alot (depending on the day) without having an adverse reaction. Any thoughts? I appreciate all who responded.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-01, 00:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mike,

Sorry to break it to you but if you drink a lot of rum and Cokes you will wake up the next day with a double-whammy in the form of a huge carb and alcohol hangover. It will take all your will-power to resist carbs (they will temporarily make you feel better) and your will-power will be lowered because of the hangover.

Think about it objectively. What would be the best choice? Waking up the next morning feeling like s**t or waking up the next morning feeling full of life and energy on the first day of your life with your fabulous new wife.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-01, 06:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default hey Mike

First, congratulations on your wedding and marriage. Much happiness and joy to you and your wife-to-be...

Um, my experience with weddings is that fatigue and EXHAUSTION are the most you feel at the end of it, depending on how much partying, rehearsals, all the Aunties and Grandparents and relatives you never even knew you HAD appear out of the woodwork and expect you to entertain them .. ...

Anyway, you sound like you've already made your mind up, which is perfectly fine, no laws broken!! Best advice Debbie stated ... load up on protein FIRST, and vegetables ... then indulge in the carby foods. The meat will slow the blast of carbs into yer bloodstream AND will fill you up a bit so you're not so tempted to go hog-wild with Aunt Mabel's potato salad, and cake. Same idea for the drinks. Eat first, and try if you can to drink lots of water too, maybe alternate drinks, so every other glass is water, or club soda with a wedge of lemon (very trendy and kewl .. )

For the record, 8 fl. oz of Coke Classic has 27.0 gm carbs.

All the best, and by the way, we want to see the wedding pictures ...

Doreen