Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 04:39

Plan: My Own
Stats: 333/215/160 Female 64cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Carol CA -- Don't worry - you are part of the team - I know we will all lose and different rates and there is no pressure to perform in any way - 50lb weight loss should be easy - we are getting to be a big group. Don't you dare get off this wagon -- or I'll have to drag you back and get out some hand-cuffs!!!

Now Vivi - I feel like the Little Engine that could .... I think I can... I think I can ....I think I can!! puf puff puff come on Carol ...

And carol - we are all here at the moment 'cos we ain't losers at the moment!!! As I have said before - i am a great loser - I have probably lost about 50 pounds this last year - the only problem is it's the same 5lbs over and over and over.....

There will be no-one pulling this wagon - iff'n it needs a bit of help we can all do a Fred Flintstone and push our legs through the floor boards and run along - it'd be exercise anyway!!

i konw you can't see his feet here but you know what I mean

I think I can ....I think I can!! puf puff puff

WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE - 0 lb

Last edited by Wendye : Thu, Jan-02-03 at 04:44.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 06:03

BF:

My spelling prowess has been called into question recently - so do you all know how to spell potato (I know it's a no no :nono

SUBJECT: How to spell potato

If GH can stand for P as in Hiccough

If OUGH can stand for O as in Dough

If PHTH can stand for T as in Phthisis

If EIGH can stand for A as in Neighbor

If TTE can stand for T as in Gazette

If EAU can stand for O as in Plateau

Then the right way to spell POTATO should be:

"GHOUGHPHTHEIGHTTEEAU"

#123   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 07:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 245/241/160
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hey, Wen and everyone else!

Did the New Year's Day check-in and boy, was it depressing...I knew I had been bad, but didn't realize it was that bad... I'll adjust my stats after I finish posting this.

Was good on the food front yesterday and so far this morning. I even did some exercising...yep...went to the mall and walked in and out of every store on both levels! Lifted weights (those heavy after holiday sales packages! ) and did other exercises - REACHING for the pocketbook, SCOOPING out the wallet... Three hours of that, then came home and un-decorated the house of Christmas.

Well, time to earn my pay.

Welcome, everyone! We CAN do this!

Lori Jo
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 07:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up Wowser Ladies and Gentlemen!

Hope ya all don't mind if I pop in to say heh! ...as my Mom would say, "Holy Old Ragged Arse"... you guys impress the hell out of moi...Wendye never knew you were so damn witty and just plain hilarious but then again the only exposure to any of your compostions was the "Blond Thread" and of course Ela...what can I say she is the picta postin monsta with that crack up sense of humor to boot Carol, Jude, asugar et all ... you guys are so entertaining a read... great stuff ...well just got through hubbies birthday (New Year's Baby) and indulged in the perverbial cake and ice cream just too many damn celebrations in the months of December and January in the household...the next obstacle to overcome is my birthday hubby was smart...he married me on that day so he could never be held responsible for forgetting either occasion will have to take stock of where I am at the end of the month and pop in again to see if there is any room left in that big Red Flyer of yours You Go Girls! Tremendous Thread and truly an inspiration for us all! now a pic of the hunk of all time and forever more in my books....the man who has managed to remain sexy, sophisticated, witty, charming...the darlin of women of all ages...I give you Sean Connery ladies! ...B

Last edited by Bonnie : Thu, Jan-02-03 at 07:58.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Because all you brave souls have fessed up, let me do the same. I seem to be up 10 lbs from my low in the late spring. I will change my stats to a new beginning of 239 lbs. I hate to say this out loud. I would never admit it to any of my friends or family in "real life", but since you are friends in the same "wagon" I feel safe to say it here.

Wendye, we will definitely be in the next newsletter and that 50 lb goal should be met in 1/2 the time you alotted with this many people on board!

We must ditch the fudge, the ice cream, and whatever else triggers us. Reading back over my charts from last year, I think that nuts may be a culprit for me. The doctor also told me that I'm dairy intolerant, but yet I continued to eat cheese, etc. Maybe that will be another thing to look at.

It's great to see so many new people here. Jude, I love that hunk picture you posted. I never saw that one before. I hope he will join us in the wagon.

Lori Jo, I'm glad you joined in. You and I are starting at close to the same weight--I'll be watching you!

My first official weigh in is next Tuesday. I go to TOPS and I must lose this coming week and I've already gained because of being off for 3 weeks. I'm the leader there and can't set a bad example.

Lets go Team

Carol
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:43

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Getting back on track~

Hi all~ *s*
4th day of being back on track.......whewwwwwww!!
Hope you don't mind another buddy on board...........still reading and have a question or two.......will post back when I am done reading the thread~
Hope the day is going well for everyone~
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

Very excited Sean Connery is now with us...

Jude... That pic of Donald is the best isnt it??? I think he should send it into atkins website. It is sooo cool!!!

Mark me in for 180. I have been hovering around there for over a month now I just upped my calories to 12x my weight. I think my calories were too low?I just started using fitday, and it was showing me too low
I am being good
My favorite part about upping my calories is my low-carb cheesecake
My personal goal is to contribute 5 lbs to the group this month. I am going to be very good for myself and the rest of us. I havent lost 5 lbs in a month since induction, so I'm adding some extra gym time in for strategy
See you all soon!
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 11:45

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Got it!! *L*

Ok........Just finished reading the entire thread!!! And.........all my questions were answered!!
I gained a lot of weight in the last month or so.......26 lbs actually......arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! But I am back on the wagon......thanks for letting me in!! Day 4 on induction and feeling a LOT better~

My goals are~

1. Stay under 20 Carbs /day
2. Drink at least 90 ozs. water
3. work out 3 x week ~ Curves
4. Walk once a week to the beach (about a 50 min. walk all around)
5. Keep the lc treats to a minimum, once or twice a week
6. More veggies besides salads
7. Do a cartwheel by end of May

So.........here we go~ Todays weight 214
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 12:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 198/183/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

LOL I don't know how you all do it. I work from home and find it hard to post alot here. I love reading the posts but wont be able to post that often. I want the support and all so if you see me post here and there its not that I don't want to post more it just I have to have my main time spent on my business. I am laughing still about Wendye's Potato post. That was cleaver. May be that is why I really am glad I am on LC because I would hate trying to right that on my grocery list every time I needed to by a bag. LOL
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 14:13
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Ohgawd, Wendye! I'm NOT giving up! No way, José! My insecure hesitation is working toward a group effort since I'm such a turtle! But WAIT... I lost 2.5 of my 5.5 gain! And that was before my morning you-know-what. I am jazzed over this!

Love "The Little Engine That Could" book. Precious. You NUT, Wendye! I'm cracking up visualizing all of us in a bottomless wagon... bare feet going like mad! Pulling into a drive-in and ordering several sides of brontisaurus ribs. You're too funny!

Sean Connery is another fabulous hunk! He is, in my opinion, the ONLY 007. What a neat guy he is. I love it when he appears on Letterman or Leno. He makes my face hurt from smiling. Any man who makes my face hurt has my heart. Now... Harrison Ford doesn't make my face hurt... BUT I've lusted after him since his Hans Solo days... and really lost my everything to Indiana Jones! His personality doesn't exactly shine on the late-night talk shows... but hey... I can forgive him for that. What I CAN'T forgive him for is his current affair with anorexic Calista Flockhart. Now how on earth can I expect to compete if that's his taste in women???

I have a question. Jedigddss mentioned a calorie formula... 12x body weight. Can somebody expound on this? I've been (am) pretty lazy about fine tuning the chemistry of this WOE... but I just might have to to speed up my weight loss. I need to get more serious. (Amazing what a 2.5 loss does for my commitment, huh.) Anybody?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 14:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default I've Begun!

First of all, I can't believe how big this thread is since yesterday morning when I last looked, lol!

Great to see loads more new faces up for the challenge and it's really great to see the definitive 007 Sean Connery and the Delicious Donald amongst the hunks {wolf whistles }

Just checking in to let you know that I've started - I began induction yesterday, and, so far, so good

The scales showed me down a pound already this morning - will not count it yet obviously, I'll wait until I've finished my first induction week to see if it's stayed off (hopefully, along with some more ) or not.

Yesterday's food:
B: Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs
L: Tuna Salsa Salad (yes, it contains avocado, which I know isn't supposed to be allowed during induction - but ... )
D: Roast chicken, with courgettes sauteed in olive oil and butter, SF jelly with clotted cream

Today's food:
B: Scrambled eggs with sausages (these particular sausages are trace carbs)
L: Chicken salad, SF jelly with clotted cream
D: Roast Lamb with asparagus and butter

Plenty of water drunk as well

Carol: I will post this in your journal as well, but this is the skinny on the calorific formula:

You need to make sure you don't go below your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR - your BMR is the rate at which you use up energy when at rest - e.g. when you are sleeping or just lying in bed), otherwise your body will go into starvation mode - in response to fewer calories, the body lowers its BMR because it thinks there is a famine. It therefore 'slows down' in order to conserve energy. You then run the risk of putting your body under stress which will eventually lead to it shutting down to conserve fat stores - you will lose weight at first, but you will be losing more lean body weight than fat and eventually you'll be losing only lean body mass. Effectively, your body will start canabalizing its lean muscle which will in turn lower your metabolism making further losses more and more difficult.

The simple calculation for BMR is your body weight in lbs x 10 cals. However, you also need to take day-to-day activity into account, so you should aim for between lbsx10cals and lbsx12cals, maybe more if you are exercising a lot.

Hope that helps!
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 15:05

BF:

Firstly welcome AlluraD sure - we can breath in a bit and let you climb aboard.

Demi - welcome to you too - you snuck in while I was posting - very slow internet this morning! Thanks for your 'skinny' on the cals and BMR.

I'll add my 2c worth - being the heavyweight round here - I am sure these figures work if you are in the moderately overweight range (maybe 50lb to lose) but I gotta tell you - there is no way I am going to be eating 4000 cals per day. I read in some other post (maybe the triple digits thread but then it may have been on another website too) that for those with much more to lose you do 10 x your recommended weight and 10 x your current weight and then find an average of the 2 - and that is more reasonable as a BMR figure. For me that would still be abouat 2400 cals whcih sounds about right to me. But that is just my humble opinion - you try whatever your body needs.

G'day Blondey Bonnie - we'll reserve a spot for you next month -- enjoy your celebrations!! and thanks for the timeless hunk you brought with you. (swoon swoon)

Gretchen - don't worry how often or not you post - you are here on the wagon with us - it's hard when you are working -- I work part-time but am on holidays for the next month so I can come each morning and evening or whenever i hear the 'puter calling me.

CCA - I am a Harrison fan from way back - he's a real hunk too.

already down a coupla pounds - our first loser here! Congratulations - success sure breeds success and youare sounding more positive already.

Hi Lori Jo Welcome 'lil sis - glad to hear you are so committed to exercising Keep up that 3 hours a day and you will be bankrupt in no time at all!!
Put the diasterous depressing weigh in behind you (you too Atrsy Carol ) (I have) and now it's time to forge ahead -- Onward and downward!! Isn't it so easy to let those lbs go back on if you don't weigh yourself. I know I have been avoiding weighing but I never expected I'd be about 8-9lbs heavier than my previous heaviest

Atrsy Carol - Hey you could never be a bad example!!! It is amazing what we can share in anonimity on the forum that we'd never tell our face to face friends or family. - It is somehow comforting to be able to tell someone though isn't it?

jedigddss (Lisa) I am glad of your 5lb committment - thanks. Now the gym sounds like a great idea! You go girl!!

Still I vow never to be that weight again. I'm goonna weigh again on Monday or Tuesday......

Today's Food: Scrambled eggs for brekkie

Going to a beach holiday location today and will just have steak and salad for lunch. Hmm Better take my own morning tea!!! As Jude says - eat before you eat (ie. eat before you go so youare not tempted to eat too eat any carbage there!) Goodonya Jude!
Boy I do rave on don't I........... I gotta have a shower and get ready to go out Byeeeeeeeeeeee

Total Weight loss 2.5lb (thanks CCA)

I think I can .... I think I can ..... I thnk I can!

Last edited by Wendye : Thu, Jan-02-03 at 15:08.
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 15:20
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

THANKS to Demi and Wendye for the BMR explanation! I need to cut and paste that into my Low Carb folder... and refer back to it. I'm sure I've read that in one of the many low carb books that I've read... but geez... I'm lucky to remember anything these days. Thank you!

And thanks, Wendye, for making my 2.5 pounds official. All the more motivation to be good and not slip up! I thought, as Demi did, to not own it until the end of this week... but being greedy and overly anxious to change that middle number, I'm takin' it!
I just love this thread!!!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:24

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default WENDYE!!!!!!!!

orignally posted by Wendye

Now Vivi - I feel like the Little Engine that could .... I think I can... I think I can ....I think I can!! puf puff puff come on Carol ...

Hey but it is working right!!! See the little train could he did it didn't he.. How cute is that now our mascott??

I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN...

Now I can do this for my diet lets see if I can get over the emotional end....... its getting worse.. I am going to just lose it... BREATH in with the good out with the bad..

Welcome Allura ..nice to see you here.. thanks for the reciepe yummy yummy... Hey it is getting sunny here in the forum.. two from Flori"DUH" sorry I meant Florida..

Welcome Demi, Bonnie, Gretchen, jedigddss too.. did I miss anyone??

Sorry if I did WELCOME ALL..........
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:09

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default hope you enjoy... I had to post this

Twas the month after Christmas,
and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.