Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 19:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 276/162/195
BF:
Progress: 141%
Default HELP--I'm so tired!

I've been on general low carb, high protein and moderate amounts of fat diet for 3 weeks. I've been eating lots of salads with blue cheese or italian dressing, steak, chicken, eggs, tuna, bacon, eggs, cheese, peas, carrots, strawberries, broccoli, asparagus, and limited amounts of dry roasted peanuts. I have 2 cups of regular coffee each morning and 1 low carb beer or 1 glass of wine at night. I have eaten no sweets whatsoever in 3 weeks. I'm losing weight (14 lbs. so far) but I feel so tired! I was really tired the first week but kept on as I knew that was normal and I would feel better. I felt a little better the 2nd week (not much) but this week I have been as fatigued as ever. I'm taking the vitamins Dr. Atkins suggests and drinking water. I get a pretty good workout on the treadmill each morning for about 20 minutes (and its a real push as I'm so tired). I want to continue but don't know how long I can endure this extreme fatigue. Suggestions anyone??? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 19:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Are you taking potassium? You may be low on that since low carbing also causes you to lose a lot of fluids through urination and those minerals go right with it, especially if you are losing weight quickly. Check with your doctor or pharmacist before adding potassium if you are taking any kind of blood pressure medication or diuretics, but otherwise you can safely add up to 200-400 mg. per day as a supplement. You would also want to take it with a meal as it can irritate if taken on an empty stomach.
Hope you get that energy back soon!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

This is just my experience- might not be the case for you. The lowcarbing brought out hypoglycemic symptoms, one of which was bad fatigue. I started eating every 2-3 hours and feel much, much better.