Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 09:57
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default I'm tired!! Help!

The last two or three days I have just been wiped out! Tue. and Wed. it was mostly in the afternoons starting about 3:00. Yesterday I went home and took a 1 hr nap and then had a solid 8 hrs last night. I'm so tired today I feel like I could easily go crawl into bed and stay there for several hours.

I generally get 8 hrs a night, averaging about 40 g of carbs/day, 120-130g protein. (124 lb LBM). I'm taking 400 mg of potassium a day, among my other supplements.

Anyone have an idea for me??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Teri, I'd advise that you make sure carbs aree 40 effective grams minimum every day (I looked through your journal there were a few days that were much lower) and make sure protein stays around 130-150g a day. Protein requirements can be higher, closer to 1g per lb of current body weight.

Take a few days and try to get MORE rest.

Are you spacing carbs out evenly? Do you eat every few hours?

What are your other supplements?

Could you be coming down with something?

N
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:55
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Thanks, Nat

Ok, I'll watch the carbs more closely. And no, I don't really pay attention to spacing them out but rather I've been eating a piece of fruit (the bulk of my carb intake) before lunch. I'll also try to add more protein.... think I'll cook a turkey this weekend!!

Yes, I'm diligent about eating every 2-3 hours...except after dinner I don't do so well.

My other supplements are: l-carnitine, cal-mag-zinc, multi-vit, flax oil, glutamine, chromium, potassium. I usually wait 'til lunch to take my potassium... maybe I should take that right after I work out...with bkfst...and take all of it at once.

Nah, I don't think I'm getting sick. I never get sick!

Thanks for your help.....always much appreciated.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269.7/224.8/176 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default What is more important ... ?

Hi Nat

What is more important ... to eat "40 effective grams minimum " of carbs when you do BFL ... or to stay in ketosis? I am at 25 carbs per day and would hate to fight hunger again when I start BFL ... if 40g is going to be above my critical carbohydrate count. (Not sure if that is the correct term, but I think you know what I mean.)

Just wondering.
Rey
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 11:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rey, have a look at this post about BFL and Ketosis in my journal - it should answer some of those questions.

As for hunger, it's not a 'battle' - it's part of having a metabolism again. Muscles need fuel and you have to feed them. The emphasis on Ketosis is something very "Atkins" that doesnt exist in other plans, with the exception of a CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) used by weight lifters/body builders. The level of carbs you consume is very individual, but going below a certain number makes intense workouts next to impossible. I feel 'bad' at less than 40 EGC, I feel great at about 60g. Even Dr. A advises you raise carbs when you workout and become more active. You a) need them and you b) burn them.

Teri, having fruit for carbs is fine, but make sure you have it with protein ALWAYS. Spacing the carbs out can take a little more planning, at first, but it becomes second nature. I try to make sure that if I am not spacing them out for whatever reason that day, I have them in the morning after I lift. It will make a difference.

N