Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 13:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Results after 6 months

I have been doing Atkins now for 6 months. I started after being diagnosed with Diabetes in December 2001. I have lost 50lbs to date 40 of which I lost in the first 2 months. The last 10lbs have been the hardest.

My blood sugars average between 95mg/dl and 110mg/dl. My Cholesterol has improved but still is considered on the borderline. My Doctor has been willing to work with me with this WOE but she was not a big fan of LC. My doctor was astounded that I was able to get my A1C from a 12 to a 6.1 in less than 6 months but she is still concerned about my cholesterol and wants me to seriously consider taking cholesterol medicine if my ldl is not below 100 by my next visit in 4 months.

So far I have been very pleased with this WOE. I have found it is the easiest way to control my blood sugar and lose weight at the same time. I am never hungry and have never felt better in my life.

Here are my blood work results since December to show everyone how far I have come.

December 2001
Glucose - 303
A1C - 12
Cholesterol - 268
Triglycerides - 238
HDL - 46
LDL - 174

March 2002
Glucose - 89
A1C - 6.9
Cholesterol - 207
Triglycerides - 85
HDL - 55
LDL - 135

June 2002
Glucose - 121
A1C - 6.1
Cholesterol - 218
Triglycerides - 139
HDL - 47
LDL - 143

The receptionist at the doctors office stressed me out the morning of my test with a billing error saying I owed over $450 when I owed only $45. I think that is why my glucose reading was a little high.

I just wanted everyone to know that this WOE really does work. I will never change back to any other way.

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 15:07

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Bill I just want to say congrats!

The numbers are fantastic for 6 short months. I am sure that in another 4 months of eating healthy those numbers will get more in line to make your doctor happy

#3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 00:27

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Big DITTO!

Feeling better, losing weight, not being hungry, blookwork improving. There's GOT to be some law of physics that's being violated!

Cheers
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 08:55

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Great news...

Wonderful news and numbers, Bill!

Congratulations on dumping those 50lbs! I know you're feeling better!

Thanks too for sharing your numbers with the forum. We always try to remember that information is helping not only those who post, but the thousands who lurk.

Continued LC success and good health to you!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Good for you, and thanks for posting the personal part! I was one of the "lurkers" this morning and was very encouraged. Keep up the good work!!

Donna
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 11:50
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Congrats!

Thanks for posting your success! And yeah, they all say those last few pounds are the hardest. What phase of Atkins are you in now?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:47

BF:
Default Re: Congrats!

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally posted by henbane
What phase of Atkins are you in now?

I am in OWL right now but fixing to go back to Induction. I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for the past 6 weeks.

I guess I'll have to give up some of that heavy cream in my coffee.

Bill

Last edited by billw : Wed, Jun-12-02 at 14:06.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 15:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/216.5/135
BF:
Progress: 11%

wow bill what fantastic results what an inspirtion you are for those of us just starting out keep up the good work
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 16:39
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%
Smile Here's somethign

Try keeping the cream and giving up the coffee!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 02:34

Stats: 243/217/187
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Well Done!

Congratulations on your success so far. Not long to go to that magical 185 now. We have similar stats (although I've still a way to go until I hit 200...) so I'd like to find out your LC / WOE 'techniques'. Feel free to contact me via ICQ or e-mail.

I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Fergus.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 08:03

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up

Bill,
The numbers speak for themselves. Your doctor should be impressed with your progress. I bet you feel like a different person. Thank you for sharing your experience. Victoria
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 09:34

BF:

henbane your right, Maybe I should put a tsp of coffee in my cup of heavy cream(LOL)

Hi Fergus, I'm not doing anything special. Just trying to stay between 30g & 35g of carbs a day on OWL. I do walk 3 miles a day on the treadmill and do weight training 3 times a week. I am perplexed by my 6 week stall since I have increased my weight training. My clothes are not getting any looser so I know its not the building muscle offsetting the weightloss. I've tried most of the stall breaking tips and non of them seemed to help. I am going back to Induction levels next week to see if it will get things moving again.

Victoria, Yes I do feel like a totally different person from 6 months ago. 6 months ago I was a mess. I think overall my doctor is pleased with my progress and is starting to see the benefits of this WOE, but her concern for my cholesterol is that since I am diabetic I may be more susceptible to the risk factors of heart disease. She did say she would do a little reasearch since I had my BG controlled so well to see if It would be ok for me to bee in the borderline ranges with my cholesterol.

Bill