Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 171/164/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default First timer here!!

Hey everybody...does anyone have any good tips for a first timer? I'm looking to lose around 30 pounds and I could use some help!!...also, how long did it take everyone to get to their goal weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/207/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Everyone loses at different rates. I generally can lose 10 lbs a month after I am done with the first water weight loss. Some may lose 5 some 15. Kind of depends on how your body reacts. Sadly I am an expert on mine. Just keep moving forward and don't worry about time too much. No one wants to wait for anything. Try and enjoy the diet and make good food for yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 20:56

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

As someone who started out with about 30 pounds to lose, here's what I can offer:
1) Think of low-carb as a dietary change FOR LIFE. If you go off when (or before) you get to goal, you'll gain the weight back. This is true of all diets, by the way. Success means a permanent lifestyle change.
2) Be patient. People who lose 10 pounds a week have way more to lose than you do. Be happy if you lose 3-4 pounds a month. If you lose more, and you may, be happier! But don't quit if weight loss is slow.
3) Remember you're doing this for health, not just weight loss. If you never lose a pound on South Beach, you're still increasing your chances of a longer, healthier life.
4) Focus on what you CAN eat, not on what you can't.
5) Come here often and learn as much as you can about low-carb. Education is a great motivator.

I'm sure others will chip in with lots more tips, but these ought to get you started.

BTW, I haven't gotten to my original goal weight yet, and maybe, given my age and family history of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity, I never will ... but it's just a number on the scale. I am very healthy and looking forward to staying this way for many, many years.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 21:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 163/154/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hey there- I am new to this site and have recently re-joined the Protein Power lifeplan. I lost 9 lbs since Christmas, mostly water probably but I had it to lose! I weighed my highest at 163, am 5'8'' and need to be about 140. I was at virtually the same weight in 1999 and lost 24 pounds! to 136 from March to June BUT I also starting walk/running daily and working out with weights, stretching alot, and got up to about 4 miles a day in the end. The key for me is in the beginning drinking a ton of water and making things that taste great- like grilling steak and vegetables or baking/broiling salmon, eating crustless quiche with lots of cheeses and bacon, etc. Taste is important to me- eating pork rinds as a snack feels like a diet to me- gross! I would never have eaten those before- so I try almonds, sugar free hot cocoa, coffee with sugar free creamers, etc. and I have been drinking shakes by Juice Plus that have lots of vegetables and protein in the mix- lo carb (11?). I eat salads alot and put chicken or tuna in. It definitely takes more cook time but you know what? It's rewarding and fun! I bought a great cookbook years ago so that when I feel stuck in a rut, I can get reinspired to make something tasty. I try self talk, too, like "That doesn't even tempt me!" when I see sweets/junkfood and "ew, sugar- poison! get it away from me". I overcome tempting foods when I remember "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels!"
Good luck! Keep me posted if you want... You know you can do this! Why not?- there's a beautiful body being unlayered everytime you deny yourself the "junk".
Just remember how great you will look when you reach your goal!! TTYL, Sara
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 171/164/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

how many carbs do you eat daily? I think I'm going to try to stay around 20 for a little while and gradually work my way up as I begin to get near my goal weight.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 23:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 163/154/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default carb count

I try to stay under about 30 carbs per day- At first, I just tried to eat none which essentially ends up to about 20 I would guess with the few in green vegetables and dairy products. I am going to go for "none" again this week- I don't count the ones in the protein shakes typically because I know if I am drinking those, I am getting lots of protein and healthy carbs. I'm not really a big "counter"- I just eat meat, cheese, and what I have memorized as the low carb fruits and veggies- broccoli, spinach, lettuces, asparagus, green beans, brussel sprouts... I cook with fresh garlic and onions which are good for flavor and as long as I don't eat bread stuff or sweets, I tend to lose. If I am counting carbs too much, I tend to get greedy and dangerous! Example- The other day I ate way too many All Bran crackers (good crunchy item with less than 1 carb per cracker) with some sourcream dip I made because I could! That starts me craving carbs again... The less I eat em, the less I want em and vice versa! Yikes! Don't forget- Drink till you float as they say and you'll feel full, have more energy, and be more regular!