Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 11:49

Plan: Ex. Induction
Stats: 307.6/270/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Some things I've noticed.. (I ramble)

I've noticed that people have a really hard time not being condescending when they find out you're on a diet, especially a low-carb one.. It's funny how much interest people can take in what I digest..

Ive been wondering a couple things..

1.) When an energy drink says "Sugar Free" does that mean carb free as well?.. Alot of them don't have the full stats on them.

2.) I've read that whiskey is carb-free.. How carb free is it really, doesn't alcohol break down into sugar?

3.) Since I started my induction, I've felt some strange things happening in my stomach.. There's this sort of cool feeling in my chest where I imagine the top of my stomach is (pulmonary sphincter) and it won't go away.

I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong yet as I have no support in the physical world to help me along but I've just been looking for hidden carbs and doing my best..
It's been 3 days and I totally cheated once but it was necessary. The inlaws had us over for dinner and as much as I tried, I just couldn't refuse a slice of the "you quit smoking a month ago" cheesecake.. I don't even like sweets for crying out loud but she made it for me specifically and.. whatever, excuses right?

Anyways, three days and five pounds lost.. Feeling good.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 12:39
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Pug! Like your avatar. How's the weather on the west coast?

Energy drinks: hmmm. In Atkins '72, I think he says as far as sugar-free drinks go, for every 4 calories count 1 carb. I'd say if they don't have info on 'em, don't drink 'em. I don't do energy drinks but I did have a diet root beer the other day (I don't usually drink them) and the next day the scale jumped up 2 pounds. So if it has artificial sweeteners in it, it *can* cause an insulin response in some people - you may or may not be one of them. Just something to keep in mind.

Booze does break down into glucose and is the first thing metabolized, so if you drink you will burn the alcohol before fat or anything else. If you're in ketosis, you'll go right back to fat-burning once the booze is burned up. Guess you'd have to see how it affects you personally, ie: if it stalls you or causes cravings etc. There are people here who drink and LC and lose successfully

Tummy feelings...? Dunno. Could be just your system getting used to different foods (less carbs/sugar, more fat). What was your diet like before you started?

Cheesecake...awwww. No worries. Such guilt when someone makes something just for you! It can take a while to be able to refuse stuff, but you'll get there. I have food intolerances, so it's easy for me! But you can always plead allergy - "Thanks so much, but dairy has been giving me problems lately and my doc has me on an elimination diet". Some people like to claim that sugar makes them break out in fat It's not lying!

Congrats about the smoking - I just had my one-year quit anniversary! You're on the road to feeling really, really good!

Suggestion: start a journal here and post your menus. Then we can all butt in and offer unsolicited advice. Seriously, it's a great tool to have here esp. when you have no "real world" support. Go here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172775