Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 17:37

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Cover story consumer reports the truth about gluten

Omg: if we skip gluten we eat more fat (and this is a bad thing?). Only 7% need to ellinate wheat? Tell that to dr. Davis! Gluten is good for you as it provides trig and bp improvements? Omg!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 18:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Davis has already heard and wrote a pretty scathing response yesterday.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2014/...ment-grain-free

Quote:
Gluten-free foods are NOT an argument against grain-free: a rebuttal to Consumer Reports By Dr. Davis | December 8, 2014

A recent Consumer Reports article has apparently raised skepticism that being gluten-free is really healthier. So let’s clear the air on this awful, awful report and expose it for the cheap shot it is. First of all, those of you familiar with the Wheat Belly message understand: Wheat Belly is NOT about being gluten-free! Despite the popularity of the Wheat Belly message, I still have to remind critics and people in media of this fact. Nonetheless, let’s go through the arguments that Consumers Reports makes and show why they drip thickly with misinformation, one by one:

1. Gluten-free isn’t more nutritious (and may be less so) It depends on what you replace gluten-containing foods, doesn’t it? If you replace gluten-containing foods with gluten-free foods made with cornstarch, rice flour, tapioca starch, and potato flour, then, yes, they are absolutely right! Everyone following the Wheat Belly conversation knows that gluten-free foods have about as much value as old bubble gum picked up off the sidewalk. In the Wheat Belly lifestyle, we do NOT replace gluten-containing foods with processed gluten-free foods. We opt for real foods, such as eggs, avocados, olives, meats, coconut oil, and vegetables–surely Consumer Reports wouldn’t be so stupid as to argue that our foods are less nutritious than gluten-containing foods!

2. You’ll probably increase your exposure to arsenic They’re right again . . . if we resort to gluten-free processed foods made with rice flour, which we do not. Rice has indeed been found to contain inorganic arsenates of the sort that can exert substantial toxic effects if enough is consumed, as can happen with plentiful rice consumption. (Rice is a natural concentrator of arsenic; we can blame agribusiness for lots of bad things, but not this.) The Wheat Belly lifestyle is grain-free–rice is a grain, i.e., the seed of a grass. Last I checked, there are no cows or other ruminants reading the Wheat Belly Blog. So nobody here should be consuming the seeds of grasses due to the multiple indigestible components in grasses, including their seeds (a concept discussed at length in Wheat Belly Total Health.)

3. You might gain weight Yes: if we resort to those awful gluten-free foods. But if we eliminate gluten-containing grains–wheat, rye, barley, and I would argue corn (because the zein protein of corn overlaps substantially in structure with the gliadin of wheat)–we lose weight, often substantial. This is because we stop ingesting the gliadin protein that digests to peptides that act as opiate appetite stimulants, increasing consumption of carbohydrates. We rid ourselves of wheat germ agglutinin (in wheat, rye, barley, and rice) that blocks leptin, the hormone of satiety. We also rid ourselves of amylopectin A of grains responsible for extravagant blood sugar highs that are accompanied by high blood insulin that causes weight gain. Getting rid of all grains means substantial weight loss for the majority, provided you don’t fall into the gluten-free processed food trap. (The exceptions to weight loss on the Wheat Belly grain-free lifestyle are nearly always due to idiosyncratic effects of dairy whey, iodine deficiency or thyroid dysfunction, presence of prescription drugs such as beta blockers, endocrine disruption from overexposure to industrial compounds, and a few other factors–but not due to failure of grain elimination.)

4. You’ll pay more Once again, only if you buy the processed gluten-free foods. Those of us on the wheat/grain-free Wheat Belly lifestyle who follow a budget know that, due to the loss of appetite-stimulation, we either experience no increase in food costs or a modest cost savings.

5. You might miss a serious health condition This is the paternalistic doctor talking . . . you know, the one who thinks that, despite the emerging tools that empower people in health–information, categorical search, smartphone health apps, social media, the astounding wisdom of crowds phenomenon–people are helpless and stupid and must rely on the healthcare system for all health decisions. Is this the same healthcare system who told us to “cut your fats and eat more healthy whole grains,” while also endorsing replacement of saturated fats with hydrogenated margarines and polyunsaturates and horse estrogens for menopausal symptoms that increase cancer risk, along with countless other blunders and ineffective therapies? And think of all the lost opportunities to do unnecessary colonoscopies and endoscopies! In my view, grain elimination, because it relieves SO many health conditions, should always be a default solution before resorting to drugs and procedures.

6. You might still be eating gluten, anyway Yet another indictment of gluten-free processed foods. But since when is the sloppiness of the food industry a reason to backpedal on a health argument? This one is plain silly. Don’t feel bad if you initially fell for this tripe from Consumers Reports, as even Dr. Alessio Fasano, who did the brilliant work showing how the gliadin protein of wheat initiates autoimmunity, put his foot in his mouth by saying “When you cut out gluten completely, you can cut out foods that have valuable nutrients and you may end up adding more calories and fat into your diet.” Wow. Being smart about one aspect of diet does not necessarily mean you know much about other aspects of diet. Lose the grains, lose the phytates that bind nutrients and allow gastrointestinal healing to proceed. Grain-free people experience increased iron levels, increased zinc levels, increased magnesium levels, increased vitamin B12 levels, among others. Every doctor should also know by now that cutting fat and saturated fat does not result in reduced cardiovascular risk. Could Consumer Reports, a self-proclaimed protector of the consumer, have bowed to industry and allowed what smells like another grain industry paid placement? I don’t know, but I know a skunk when I smell one.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 18:31

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Is there a link to the article? A place to post comments?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 18:52

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

The link precedes the article, Debbie. And yes, comments can be posted at the WB blog.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 18:56

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Here you go Mer -

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...thier/index.htm

I don't see a place for comments. Infuriating, no?

EDIT: beat by cute kitteh woman
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 19:48

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Here you go Mer -

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...thier/index.htm

I don't see a place for comments. Infuriating, no?

EDIT: beat by cute kitteh woman

Oh, but you linked to consumer reports, I only linked to Wheat Belly (sorry if I misunderstood what you wanted, Debbie).

I read the article, and it's funny, I think Dr Davis and CR agree on more than they disagree on. I think CR simply predicates its article on the idea that most people trying to go gluten free are going to substitute gluten free processed food, something that I think is probably true as well. Dr Davis obviously disagrees with that approach as does CR. Granted, at the end of the article, CR suggests eating a few different grains, but they also suggest substituting wheat with vegetables, fruits etc and they advocate eating less processed food.

My alter ego kittie likes mice too, but perhaps for different reasons than you do, Ilikemice.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-14, 08:03

BF:
Progress:

I see little agreement between Dr. Davis and the CR article. The article makes the argument that 'most' people think substituting gluten free products good for their health (but do a poor job of switching) but this does not disprove the theory that most people should steer clear of all wheat and gluten products (Wheat Belly does a fantastic job of listing the reasons why). In this way the article sets up the false premise that most people should eat wheat.

That grains are an important food group is one issue here that needs to be dispelled. Look at any nutrient found in grains, except for vitamin C, and it will be more abundant in meat products.

If I had a dollar for every time my nutrition book stated how important grains are because of the FORTIFIED vitamins, and in this article too, I'd be rich. Eating a vitamin put into cereal is no reason to eat cereal.

The CR article states that only 7% of people need to eliminate wheat but the false negative rate of celiacs, the rate of negative to positive testing, and the percentage of gluten sensitivity is much higher than 7%. That virtually all people will have a blood glucose rise higher to the same number of whole wheat calories as to table sugar calories is a strong warning that wheat is not good for you.

I was negative on all tests for gluten allergy or celiacs yet cured asthma, arthritis, gastro problems when I cut out wheat. My husband's doctor said he couldn't have celiacs yet when I removed wheat from his diet his Meniere's and thyroiditis went away.

Why can't doctors support a free and easy gluten free trial in all people with autoimmune disease? Why can't the CR article and others reference the fine work of Dr. Davis (and others) in listing why grains and wheat in particular is as bad for us as sugar. Why do they continue to hedge their bets by endorsing whole wheat and whole grain products?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-14, 20:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
If I had a dollar for every time my nutrition book stated how important grains are because of the FORTIFIED vitamins, and in this article too, I'd be rich. Eating a vitamin put into cereal is no reason to eat cereal.
Absolutely, if that's the issue then just tell people to take a VITAMIN PILL - get your vitamins without the nasty wheat surrounding it. I cleared up severe GERD, constant nausea and severe arthritic pain by going wheat-free, but not one single doctor ever suggested it - just kept offering more and more pills which they said I would be on for life (NOT!)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-14, 06:35

BF:
Progress:

Hi Debbie,
We are similar in reactions to wheat. I too had GERD so bad my doctor was scoping my throat every three months, had me on the maximum dose of Nexium, and thought I had cancer. Arthritis too went magically away when I stopped eating wheat.

Funny though that while seeing the 10 doctors for the diseases caused by wheat I was offered antidepressants, told maybe I was just getting older, that there was no cure, and to not bring in medical abstracts!

I finally found the cure from a wonderful nurse who ran a website called vocal chord dysfunction. She is an angel and changed by life by simply recommending a two week trial of no wheat. Knew I was on my way to health in two days. Then glutenfreeandbeyond listed the autoimmune diseases including thyroiditis and Meniere's and I realized my husband too was suffering from wheat. But I did this all on my own with the help of internet friends as no doctor would even listen.

Leslie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 09:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
I finally found the cure from a wonderful nurse who ran a website called vocal chord dysfunction. She is an angel and changed by life by simply recommending a two week trial of no wheat. Knew I was on my way to health in two days. Then glutenfreeandbeyond listed the autoimmune diseases including thyroiditis and Meniere's and I realized my husband too was suffering from wheat. But I did this all on my own with the help of internet friends as no doctor would even listen.
All I can say is God Bless the Internet, which has opened so many doors that were previously slammed tight shuts by the Gatekeepers (Doctors, etc). I first discovered going gluten-free in the fairly early days of the internet (1997) so had not found much information out there but had the gluten-free route suggested to me by a neighbor whose daughter was celiac, and found a lot of her own health problems had gone away when she began preparing foods gluten-free to help her daugther!

She could never persuade her husband to go gluten-free though. When he was diagnosed with stomach cancer a few years ago she tried to persuade him to try a gluten-free ketogenic diet, but he totally refused even then and went with just the conventional chemotherapy. He died this past spring.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 09:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Low-carb cured acid reflux 100% for me.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 15:36

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I just started back on the low carb about Dec 1 or 2. I forget. Before I started it I was taking two acid blockers a day and still choking up burning acid from my stomic. has been an ongoing problem since I was a child of 4 that I remember and had stomach issues prior to that I was told.

This short of time and I am only on one acid blocker,OTC for Zantac and suspect I might get off of it too as the burning is really letting up. Maybe healing?

I read part of the wheat belly book. I think I am better off spending my time in the Atkins book.

I was surprised my doctor was not at all against my going on the Atkins diet. He just said try to eat the better for you fats as much as possible verses the other fats in my overall fat intake.

I know many people going gluten free but my brain can only handle so much so I am not going to really try to understand it. I know if rice is part of it then rice has too many carbs for me right now and maybe forever.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 23:14

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Low-carb cured acid reflux 100% for me.

Me too! I had a horrible time with it, also a chronic cough that was undoubtedly connected to the acid reflux, according to my dr. In any case, elimination of gluten and very low carb cured it! There is no doubt in my mind about the connection!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 11:06

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

It is kind of sad that the most optimistic interpretation of the CR article is "people are too stupid to do gluten-free the right way, so they just shouldn't bother"

I also really don't get the part about missing a serious health problem. I can't think of many situations where eliminating gluten would improve a health problem unless the gluten (or some other component of grains) were the cause. So if eliminating wheat and other grains is an effective treatment then what's the problem?
And if it's a serious health problem with no symptoms like pre-MI coronary artery blockage, early stage cancer, or a brain aneurysm, then how you are any worse off not eating gluten than eating it? The way I see if you're at worst in the exact same situation you were before: you have a serious health problem but don't know it. You might even be taking a step to improve your odds by lowering the inflammation in your body to slow down tumor growth and/or make you less likely to develop an arterial blood clot, improving your LDL size so the blockage does not get any worse, etc.

Last edited by s-piper : Mon, Jan-05-15 at 11:19.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-15, 11:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Why can't doctors support a free and easy gluten free trial in all people with autoimmune disease? Why can't the CR article and others reference the fine work of Dr. Davis (and others) in listing why grains and wheat in particular is as bad for us as sugar. Why do they continue to hedge their bets by endorsing whole wheat and whole grain products?

I think because it would mean that they should probably give up those things themselves. They're addicted and making dietary changes is difficult. So much easier to find justification for why they shouldn't have to change and label it as science reporting. I call it "science-y". Kind of like truthiness.