Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/140/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Smoke & Mirrors? .. review of Wheat Belly and Grain Brain

Hello, fellow Warriors:

I came across this blog this morning. I did REALLY try to find any reference to it before I posted this inquiry. Does anyone know anything about this Doctor?

He has a lot of explanations and references to studies but I really do not understand a lot of what they are referring to. ( I am anything but "sciency")

What say you members who actually understand this language. To me it seems he is putting up his share of smoke and mirrors to try to prove his point.............and sell his books.

voguesd

Oops, link:http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-...nd-grain-brain/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 11:46

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

McDougall's a quack. Google him for more information.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you. Good to know.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 13:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Low carbohydrate diets, recommended for weight control, often
contain less than 15% of energy intake from carbohydrates and
about 30% of energy intake from proteins.30 Among the women
studied, carbohydrate intake at the low extreme of the
distribution was higher and protein intake at the high extreme
of the distribution was lower than the respective intakes
prescribed by many weight control diets. However, the
underlying trend between low carbohydrate-high protein score
and incidence of cardiovascular disease was essentially
monotonic, indicating that our findings are applicable across
the spectrum of carbohydrate and protein intakes of the
participating women

http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestr...pdf/0/bmj.e4026

That's one of the references used by the forks over knives dude.

The three studies he posts to show that

Quote:
Low-Carbohydrate Diets Contribute to a Higher Risk of Death and Disease

all have the same flaw. The red lettering is complete and utter rubbish, you can't show the correlation of death and disease this way. The difference between a hundred and fifty grams of carbs and fifty grams of carbs is far greater than the difference between three hundred grams of carbs and a hundred and fifty grams of carbs. Why? The fifty gram diet is far more likely to be ketogenic. That's a game changer. Even if it wasn't, there's the bias that will show up due to health consciousness. A lot of people are still eating high carbohydrate, low meat diets, because they think it's healthy--and also doing a lot of other things they think are healthy, some of which they're probably right about, such as not smoking.

This one;

Quote:
Animal Foods Increase Inflammation

The 2013 European Journal of Nutrition published the article “Consumption of Red Meat and Whole-Grain Bread in Relation to Biomarkers of Obesity, Inflammation, Glucose Metabolism, and Oxidative Stress.” Their conclusion: The results of this study suggest that high consumption of whole-grain bread is related to lower levels of GGT, ALT, and hs-CRP, whereas high consumption of red meat is associated with higher circulating levels of GGT and hs-CRP. (Lower inflammatory markers, like CRP, are associated with better health.)

As far as more whole grain bread being protective--I believe Davis has compared whole grain bread to filtered cigarettes. Slightly less bad. If you compared whole grain bread consumers to people who didn't eat wheat at all, what would the biomarkers look like?

At least McDougall is kind enough to link his references.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...Article_340.pdf

Yes, the association was there. No, once again, none of the groups were eating as Dr. Davis or Perlmutter would like them to. Were they ketogenic enough? Was the meat the problem--or was it the association of meat with an otherwise unhealthy lifestyle, the flipside of the healthy consumer problem.

Another thing to look for is the difference between statistically significant and clinically or real-world significance. ALT, for instance. 21.1 in the low red meat consumers. 22.4 in the high red meat consumers.

This site;

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-diso...rase-alt?page=2

gives the reference range for men as 10-40 units per liter, for women as 7-35 units per liter. I don't even know if the units of measurement are the same here as in the study. Doesn't matter... this reference range is enough to show that the difference between 21.1 and 22.4 while statistically significant, is hardly clinically so. With a higher average over the group, it's possible more people's ALT reach dangerous levels that suggest liver damage in the higher meat eating group.

Interesting thing with the hs-CRP here... with increased whole grain consumption of 80, increased consumption of red meat seems to decrease hs-CRP rather than increase it. (see figure 1). Not everybody who eats red meat is un-health-conscious. Maybe health-conscious people who are unbiased against red meat do just fine--it's just that at the time of the study, perhaps, there were still more health-conscious types who were suspicious of red meat, than not--comparing high whole grain consuming red meat eaters with low whole grain consuming red meat eaters might just be a way of sorting health conscious red meat eaters from non health-conscious red meat eaters. Maybe I should find another seven ways of saying that same thing, just in case I haven't pounded this idea into the ground yet.

Quote:
Grains (Including Wheat) Do Not Increase Inflammation

The 2010 Journal of Nutrition published the article “Whole Grains Are Associated with Serum Concentrations of High Sensitivity C-reactive Protein among Premenopausal Women.” Their conclusion: Women who consumed >or= 1 serving/d of whole grains had a lower probability of having moderate (P = 0.008) or elevated (P = 0.001) hs-CRP, according to the AHA criteria, compared with non-consumers

Again... the association is with "healthywholegrains," not with grains vs non-grains. Non-grain eaters are a rarity on this planet. The differences shown in studies like this aren't between eating grain and not, they're between eating whole grain and not--and an appalling amount of the "not" comes in the form of refined white flour, corn starch, sugar, etc. We're back at Dr. Davis's filtered cigarette analogy.

Epidemiological studies that fail to even find low carbohydrate eaters in any great numbers among their subjects are kind of useless. It's like taking the horses with the pointiest foreheads and then coming to conclusions about unicorns. It will not work. Intervention studies, where people actually eat low carb diets--those are a bit better. ALT?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1884438/

Quote:
There are few studies that directly compare different diets for NASH treatment. In the largest randomized trial, with 170 overweight adults, 6 months of a low-fat or low-carbohydrate diet produced equivalent reductions in intrahepatic fat, ALT, visceral adiposity, total weight and insulin sensitivity.[38] A 3-month study similarly found that low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets reduced ALT to a similar degree.[39]

Other studies suggest that carbohydrate-restricted diets might be more beneficial for reducing surrogate markers of NAFLD than fat-restricted diets. In a small study, Kirk et al. compared a low-carbohydrate with a low-fat diet. Both decreased body weight by approximately 7%. The low-carbohydrate diet decreased intrahepatic fat significantly more after 48 h (-30 vs. -10%), but the diets led to equal decreases in liver fat after 11 weeks (-38 vs. -42%). Neither diet changed aspartate aminotransferase nor ALT[40] In a carbohydrate overfeeding paradigm that induced NAFLD, weight loss did reverse the hepatic steatosis.[41]

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/779777_4

http://www.metabolismjournal.com/ar...00223-0/abstrac
Quote:
Abstract

Objective

High fat, low carbohydrate (HFLC) diets have become popular tools for weight management. We sought to determine the effects of a HFLC diet compared to a low fat high carbohydrate (LFHC) diet on the change in weight loss, cardiovascular risk factors and inflammation in subjects with obesity.

Methods

Obese subjects (29.0–44.6 kg/m2) recruited from Boston Medical Center were randomized to a hypocaloric LFHC (n = 26) or HFLC (n = 29) diet for 12 weeks.

Results

The age range of subjects was 21–62 years. As a percentage of daily calories, the HFLC group consumed 33.5% protein, 56.0% fat and 9.6% carbohydrate and the LFHC group consumed 22.0% protein, 25.0% fat and 55.7% carbohydrate. The change in percent body weight, lean and fat mass, blood pressure, flow mediated dilation, hip:waist ratio, hemoglobin A1C, fasting insulin and glucose, and glucose and insulin response to a 2 h oral glucose tolerance test did not differ (P > 0.05) between diets after 12 weeks. The HFLC group had greater mean decreases in serum triglyceride (P = 0.07), and hs-CRP (P = 0.03), and greater mean increases in HDL cholesterol (P = 0.004), and total adiponectin (P = 0.045) relative to the LFHC. Secreted adipose tissue adiponectin or TNF-α did not differ after weight loss for either diet.

Conclusions

Relative to the LFHC group, the HFLC group had greater improvements in blood lipids and systemic inflammation with similar changes in body weight and composition. This small-scale study suggests that HFLC diets may be more beneficial to cardiovascular health and inflammation in free-living obese adults compared to LFHC diets.

I guess it's possible that burning fat is good for you when you're obese and losing weight, but bad when you're weight-stable. I think that the onus of proof is on the person who believes that's true, though. There's a far bigger difference between the metabolism of an obese person eating a high carbohydrate diet and losing weight, and the metabolism of a weight stable person eating a high carbohydrate diet than there is between the metabolisms on a low carb diet, losing weight vs. maintenance. Pretty much by definition.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-14, 06:17
Registered Member

BF:

Teaser, thank you so much for taking the considerable amount of time that it took to give this in depth reply to my post. I appreciate it so much.
I haven't been able to get through all of it yet but am reading it as I get time. Have been busy with doctors appointments for hubby and working.
Once again, thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 15:57

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Oh, but don't you get caught up in all of the raw juicing???
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 16:39

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

An amusing write up of a visit to McDougall's residential dietary resort weekend by Primal author, Mark Sisson. McDougall started in the low-fat, healthywholegrain 80s and has not changed one iota in response to new information.

My Escape from Vegan Island

Mark is NOT a vegan! but the food there was.

Quote:
I am an omnivore and always have been. Carrie, my wife, was a vegetarian for fifteen years until I convinced her about five years ago to starting adding fish to her diet to get more protein. She still considers herself, in the words of the Outback Steakhouse guy, a “semi-veg.” My wife’s parents have been strict vegans for nearly thirty years and are ardent followers of Dr. McDougall. McDougall’s own story involves having had a severe stroke at age 19 from which, at 59, he still limps. He became an MD and eventually realized that diet was an important part of the health equation. He’s a very likable and charming guy. I had a few superficial discussions with him, even attended a few of his nightly lectures. His heart is certainly in the right place, but I fear he is leading people down a wholly inappropriate dietary path. At the risk of oversimplifying, the basis of his program is that almost all starch is good, all fat is bad and meat of any kind is deadly. It is, in his words, a “starch-based” diet, high in grains and legumes.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vega.../#ixzz37CbcuPNp
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 20:55

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Epidemiological studies that fail to even find low carbohydrate eaters in any great numbers among their subjects are kind of useless. It's like taking the horses with the pointiest foreheads and then coming to conclusions about unicorns. It will not work.

Love it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 13:39

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Wheat Belly review is crazy!

So crazy. I have dealt with a diabetic father for years and anyone who has knowledge of diabetes would know this makes no sense!! How can eating the very thing that is the problem solve the problem. Table sugar causes weight loss and cures diabetes? Who in there right mind would believe that for two seconds???
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 13:50

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I think the keyword is 'Understand'

I never got why people would say fat causes diabetes.. that goes against all knowledge.
Even the poor uneducated diabetics call the disease "the sugars" sheesh
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Primal starting 2014
Stats: 269.7/233.1/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 39%

Of course it is true. Fat is bad.

The cure for alchoholism is giving the person more beer. Isn't it?

People at work use those liquid coffee flavorings like they are water and then wonder why they are getting fatter. You can always find sheep to follow any idea, no matter how silly or wrong it is.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 14:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just another vegan diet book/film author trashing the animal-food eating competition.

Yawn
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 15:32

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:

I am a ghost writer, and I did some ghost writing for a popular celebrity nutritionist (not McDougall) who endorses a vegan diet. This person would have me dig everywhere to find some obscure data points to prove his/her point. (S)he was perfectly okay with weak science or twisting number in order to support his/her point. Ultimately, I just couldn't take the misinformation, so I stopped writing for that person.

My point is this…if you're willing to accept all types of data and wiggle it around the way you want to, you can make a point for all kinds of things as a healthy lifestyle. And for some people, a vegan lifestyle is a vast improvement over eating all fast food and processed foods. So you find what works for you and you go forward. Look up the science yourself and read what the studies really say, and then draw your own conclusion.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-14, 20:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
And for some people, a vegan lifestyle is a vast improvement over eating all fast food and processed foods.

Only for a while. Then the lack of bio-available forms of nutrients sets in: O-6 and O-3 deficiencies, Vit. A deficiency, and anemia. So does the lack of nutrients found only in animals: vit. K (can't remember the form), boron, and silica for calcium metabolism, glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin, and glycoaminoglycans for joint maintenance, and vit. D. Then the problems from the low-fat, high-O6 fat diet set in: transport of vit. A, D, E, and K.

Then there's the hunger from having to graze constantly to get adequate nutrition.

Then there's the long-term effects:
  • Hair falling out in clumps
  • Feeling cold all the time
  • Granuloma annulare
  • Systemic inflammation from the gliadin causing the tight junctions to open and all sorts of stuff leaving the lumen, not to mention the problems of wheat germ agglutinin.
  • increased risk of heart disease from high triglycerides
  • increased risk of NAFLD from too much fruit
  • dental-health nightmares (the lack of Vit. K again)

The list goes on and on.

The only way forward with a vegan diet is to eat animal products.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-14, 08:27

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Only for a while. Then the lack of bio-available forms of nutrients sets in: O-6 and O-3 deficiencies, Vit. A deficiency, and anemia. So does the lack of nutrients found only in animals: vit. K (can't remember the form), boron, and silica for calcium metabolism, glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin, and glycoaminoglycans for joint maintenance, and vit. D. Then the problems from the low-fat, high-O6 fat diet set in: transport of vit. A, D, E, and K.

Then there's the hunger from having to graze constantly to get adequate nutrition.

Then there's the long-term effects:
  • Hair falling out in clumps
  • Feeling cold all the time
  • Granuloma annulare
  • Systemic inflammation from the gliadin causing the tight junctions to open and all sorts of stuff leaving the lumen, not to mention the problems of wheat germ agglutinin.
  • increased risk of heart disease from high triglycerides
  • increased risk of NAFLD from too much fruit
  • dental-health nightmares (the lack of Vit. K again)

The list goes on and on.

The only way forward with a vegan diet is to eat animal products.

I actually agree with all you have said. It's why I stopped writing for the vegan celeb nutritionist. I knew that in the long term I wasn't helping - I was hurting.

Many years ago, I was a vegan. I am certain it was either caused or exacerbated my Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the thought of all that soy makes me shudder) and set the stage for many of my current autoimmune and health issues.

People get so entrenched in certain dietary lifestyles (including low-carb I believe) that to some, they begin to approach the dogma of religion. While I believe that a primal diet is the best way for me personally to eat - and for many other people - I also recognize and acknowledge that with how different we each are as biological identities, what works for me might not work for some. For example, I seem to have no difficulty with nightshades, but I know people who can't touch them. Meanwhile, I can't touch dairy (severe allergy) or gluten (celiac disease), but some people have no problem. I don't do well with any grains ever. Others can maybe have a grain now and then without issue. So while I know we can make broad assumptions about certain dietary guidelines based on the outcomes of research, I do believe there is a ton of room for working within one's body's restrictions and allowances. I think that's what makes nutrition so difficult and why so many people - even "experts" - just flat out get it wrong. People want a one-size fits all approach. They want a definitive way of eating that will confer health (or weight loss), and I don't believe it exists. For true health, people need to find that perfect combination of elements that fits them.