Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-15, 17:53

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

From the link:

Quote:
Many cancer centers have bowls of candy for their patients in the waiting room — something that continually irks me to no end. It is even worse for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, when pink sugar cookies are commonly found, well, everywhere. I often tell my patients to avoid these candy trays, especially my patients receiving steroids, as their blood sugar is already experiencing a roller coaster of ups and downs.

If high blood sugar is bad for cancer patients, and steroids raise blood sugar, shouldn’t we limit carbohydrates, and especially sugar, in the diet during these treatments?
http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2015/0...ing-cancer-b-c/

Steroids were part of my chemo and because I was low carbing, I didn't even know that it was common to have carb cravings until I was talking to another patient. She was on chemo for recurrent cancer and therefore long term, and said it was hard for her not to gain weight. I told her I didn't have a problem and she was really interested. When I told a coworker who was a breast cancer survivor that I had lost 15 lbs while doing chemo, she was shocked because she had gained 20 lbs.

It really is a shame that more docs don't give their patient better info. When I met the first time with the oncology nurse, she told me to eat a balanced diet with healthy whole grains, blah, blah. I said I was eating low carb and would continue to do so. She was a bit frosty with me but what could she say really. I wish had known then more of what I know now, or I would have made my point more forcefully.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-15, 19:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It's amazing what passes for healthy food. The last time I was in a hospital, I was served a "healthy" breakfast of overly sweet cinnamon oatmeal, skim milk, decaf coffee, a blueberry muffin, orange juice, and margarine. I refused and lobbied for some eggs. They had to check with the doctor because eggs were considered "high in fat!" Fortunately, I was discharged later that day without eating a bite. Hospitals are one area where a complete nutritional overhaul is required STAT!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 05:27

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Hospitals are one area where a complete nutritional overhaul is required STAT!

I certainly agree with that. I was in the hospital for 3 days and the post surgical diet was almost ALL sugar. Only the broth wasn't. Otherwise it was some sugary protein shake, pudding, juice, etc. And since I was diabetic, and not on insulin, now I had to be on insulin. And what crappy blood sugars I had too all despite round the clock nursing and monitoring. It was an eye opening experience as to just how inadequate that approach is. When I complained to the RN and said I usually eat low carb, he said there was no other option and "why not just enjoy the sugar while you can". The last meal I was stepped up to a diabetic diet - low fat lasagna!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 08:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If I ever have to stay in a hospital, I'm going to try to arrange for meals to be delivered.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 08:21

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
If I ever have to stay in a hospital, I'm going to try to arrange for meals to be delivered.

My friend in England did that. She arranged for her husband to bring food in every day and refused the hospital offerings. She was there for a long stay and the nurses were amazed that she kept all her weight off and left as slim as she arrived. Apparently that's unusual.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 05:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Had this discussion at the local support group about the hospital with staff. Same crappy menus there unless you demand to customize...ask to see all the foods offered on all menus, you may get by with picking vegetables and salad from a vegetarian menu, a chicken dish from regular. If it is something available in the kitchen that day, the nurses are usually willing to order it for you. The dietitians don't know you didn't get their fixed special diet menus.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 05:37
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

A terrible thought just occurred. What if you are rendered unconscious in an auto accident? They hook you up to a glucose IV. Then they pump you full of insulin because your blood sugar skyrockets. Hmm...It may may be a good idea to get one of those medic alert bracelets stating that you have a brain disorder and cannot have a glucose drip.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 05:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
A terrible thought just occurred. What if you are rendered unconscious in an auto accident? They hook you up to a glucose IV. Then they pump you full of insulin because your blood sugar skyrockets. Hmm...It may may be a good idea to get one of those medic alert bracelets stating that you have a brain disorder and cannot have a glucose drip.

All diabetics should have a medic alert bracelet stating so. However, I believe a "fat alert" would be confusing at a critical time.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 06:11
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
All diabetics should have a medic alert bracelet stating so. However, I believe a "fat alert" would be confusing at a critical time.

The only problem with that is that they believe diabetics should have carbs and insulin. I just visited a diabetic friend of mine in the hospital for pneumonia. They gave her carby food and cortisone. Her BG shot to 425 and they couldn't get it down.

Last year, when she was in there for the same thing (she has COPD gets pneumonia easily) they ended up giving her too much insulin driving her BG down to 25. She thought she was going to die. I think the only reason she didn't die is because she probably had ketones in circulation from diabetic ketoacidosis. Craziness!

Sadly, she will only do the DASH diet that she was prescribed but doesn't really even adhere to that.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 06:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
The only problem with that is that they believe diabetics should have carbs and insulin. I just visited a diabetic friend of mine in the hospital for pneumonia. They gave her carby food and cortisone. Her BG shot to 425 and they couldn't get it down.

Last year, when she was in there for the same thing (she has COPD gets pneumonia easily) they ended up giving her too much insulin driving her BG down to 25. She thought she was going to die. Craziness!

Sadly, she will only do the DASH diet that she was prescribed but doesn't really even adhere to that.

Sorry, I misunderstood! And yes, the stupidity which is standard treatment of diabetics makes my blood boil.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 20:43

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I certainly agree with that. I was in the hospital for 3 days and the post surgical diet was almost ALL sugar. Only the broth wasn't. Otherwise it was some sugary protein shake, pudding, juice, etc. And since I was diabetic, and not on insulin, now I had to be on insulin. And what crappy blood sugars I had too all despite round the clock nursing and monitoring. It was an eye opening experience as to just how inadequate that approach is. When I complained to the RN and said I usually eat low carb, he said there was no other option and "why not just enjoy the sugar while you can". The last meal I was stepped up to a diabetic diet - low fat lasagna!

I've posted before about a good friend that passed from cancer last year after a four year battle. The food the hospital gave her was almost criminal, no, forget the almost. Attempted murder is criminal no matter what. The tray of sugar they served up was so bad, and I swear it got WORSE when she was diagnosed as diabetic after the first year of her fight. I would bring her salads, roasted meats, creamy/fatty soups and tell them to not bother. Wish I could have done the same to her church "family" that kept a seemingly neverending stream of cake, cornbread, beans and rice and other "southern comfort food" coming when she was at home. She KNEW BETTER. She saw the blood sugar drops and the tumors that stopped growing or even shrank when she stuck with it. But in the end it wasn't enough. She was scared, and wanted the comfort more than she wanted to fight. Her tumors spread from her breast to her brain, finally the radiation fried her throat so badly they put a permanent feeding tube/port on her abdomen and she could only receive liquid meals. I won't even bother telling anybody what the ingredients in those were, just that it broke my heart, while making me very, VERY angry. At the medical profession, the system as a whole and even at her to be honest. A total waste of a life, leaving a husband and three children behind. And the hospital tried to feed the cancer and diabetes every step of the way.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-15, 05:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
She KNEW BETTER. She saw the blood sugar drops and the tumors that stopped growing or even shrank when she stuck with it. But in the end it wasn't enough. She was scared, and wanted the comfort more than she wanted to fight.

My darling MIL had jaw cancer and so, over two years, she was on a liquid diet. We urged her to go for broths and heavy cream soups, but her doctor put her on Ensure. 33 grams of carbs in each little can. She didn't make it.

That's ONE reason getting the word out is important. Another reason is that if blood sugar can make such a difference in many different kinds of this disease, we have a whole new approach to prevention, too.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-15, 09:48

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 170/150/135 Female 65"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Sad, as it appears she was introducing large amounts of the very food source on which cancer thrives. Not saying this was the cause, and a pure ketogenic approach may not have been effective depending on the circumstances, but we do know that cancer thrives on glucose, and that would be the first thing to eliminate by using dietary controls.

This sounds like the American Diabetes Assoc. diet. "Eat carbs to manage diabetes". Whaaaaa????