Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-13, 13:25

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Transitioning to Primal

Hey,

So, today kinda marks 3 weeks on a Primal lifestyle and overall I'm enjoying it alot. Following Primal Blueprint / MDA.

Some things I'd already benefited from by dropping the carbs and upping the fat when I was on Atkins - such as no more arthritis, better moods, better sleep, more alert, more energy, less medication and less hunger.

One main factor in transitioning is the exercise and the increase in fruits to suit me - carbs of about 60-100g / day and less 'artificial' foods.

Sadly I incurred a nerve injury / trauma at the same time which has left me unable to do much, even walking was not approved by the Chiro for a time. I didn't want to listen to him, but I did. I also then saw a Massage Therapist who did some pretty awesome stuff, and 2 weeks later with only in the last week, a small amount of walking, things are much better. Appt with each tomorrow I hope that gives me an 'all clear' or near enough to start more physical things - slowly etc., as I'm pretty out of shape.

I've also stopped having as much artificial foods - and sweeteners, instead having more carbs in the form of veggies and fruit, not just berry fruits, but I've had an apple and a banana! Noticeably, I've cut my splenda by half, stopped adding 'Mio' to my water, don't drink s-f soda's, no longer eating peanuts, alot less dairy, and don't eat much meat that isn't identifiable (still have good quality salami as an occasional snack).

I'm very happy I've made this change, I was finding Atkins a bit too much all or nothing, although I'm sure everyone has personal reasons / preferences, I just hope I've found a place where I'm happier, mentally and physically. I'm craving alot less as fruit is OK and I find that enough, and sweet things are now tooooo sweet in the main.

Happy Friday, and to any other Canadians, Happy Canada Day!!

PG!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 12:03

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on transitioning to Primal. I transitioned to it from South Beach and love it. The simplicity of it is so appealing to me. In the beginning, if I wasn't sure whether I should eat something or not I'd ask myself if my ancestors would have eaten it - or even recognised it as food. Surprising how often the answer was "no". I tend to go easy on fruit because it can cause insulin spikes followed by cravings for sugar. I particularly stay away from bananas with their double whammy of sugar and starch. But if your body can handle it, that's great! You've made many changes and it sounds like you are doing just fine. I hope you settle comfortably into this w.o.e. and enjoy it as much as I do.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 12:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been much healthier since I swore off grains and (most) dairy products 8 or so years ago. I'm still low carb, even though I consider myself mostly paleo.

It is a journey of discovery, seeing how your body responds to various foods. Then you have to discover what to eat when something you used to eat all the time becomes off-limits.

It is an opportunity to choose to either sulk about the limitations or rejoice over the ability to explore new food.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 14:38

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Is wild rice considered paleo?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-13, 16:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

PG! Glad you are doing so well on Paleo and getting better with Chiro help. If you can handle the carbs, go for it. I read the term that Paleo is "carb agnostic"...eat what is best for your body, as long as it is natural, non-processed carbs.

Chica: Pseudograins are a gray area...again work out if your body can handle them. Maybe test your blood sugars? or just see how you feel.
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/pseud...-gluten-grains/
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-13, 09:22

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 160/149/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
PG! Glad you are doing so well on Paleo and getting better with Chiro help. If you can handle the carbs, go for it. I read the term that Paleo is "carb agnostic"...eat what is best for your body, as long as it is natural, non-processed carbs.

Chica: Pseudograins are a gray area...again work out if your body can handle them. Maybe test your blood sugars? or just see how you feel.
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/pseud...-gluten-grains/

Morning Jey100 - thank you!!

I had a nasty reaction to a salad (the dressing I think) yesterday when out at a restuarant. I don't believe I'm that sensitive to grains on the whole as I've had some, this I think was soy based dressing - tummy bloated, had to undo my zipper, and bent double for a few hours! All to avoid the battered fish and chips!!! Grrr!

Anyway, generally speaking, I'm enjoying this Paleo / Primal thing quite a bit. I've had a banana, but usually when I've been hiking, also had an apple once in a while.

What I can't figure out is last summer I dropped weight quite quickly, but I think it was mostly that I wasn't eating alot - period. Now I'm eating well, feeling well and ironically, weight is not shifting. I was smoking / popping T3's and doing a fair bit more walking are the other things I can think of.

Finally getting some relief from my pain, so I'm going to try some of the MDA's exercises today in my office at lunchtime to try and strengthen, hopefully that will in turn help my pain by my body becoming self supporting!

Happy Wednesday !!!

PG!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: vegetables
Stats: 60/50/50 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good for you. Just keep the balance. Most people quit the diet because of nutritional deficiencies.