Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 06:14

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default Neanderthin-48 Hours-Ray Audette on YouTube

Interesting piece on Ray from 2000. Quite a few years before the current paleo craze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttnFry_WYk
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 09:29

BF:

And here is a fairly recent interview with Ray.

http://conditioningresearch.blogspo...-author-of.html

I really like his answer, in this interview, about healthy eating being "too expensive" for most folks.

Q - Unfortunately the palaeo way can be an expensive one…..those who promote it are often seem to be affluent professionals with big incomes, able to afford lots of meat and organic vegetables. Do you have anything to share in terms of eating a healthy, paleo diet on a budget? How would the unemployed or student cope? Can we avoid being forced onto cheap carbs to survive?

A - "I am very poor. I shop at Walmart and other supermarkets. I often eat at McDonalds. I don't buy into the whole "organic" thing. I don't find my diet to be a financial burden."
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 14:28
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Thanks for posting that blog, Jeff. Ray is my true paleo hero more than any other paleo author: he really gets it!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 20:04

BF:

I've never actually read his book. But he seems to have the best overall view of paleo based on what I've seen of him. I agree with him that "grass fed" and "organic" is not that relevant. Got the book on order.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-12, 02:05
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

Well, personally I have no idea how relevent "grass fed" is (omega 6 ratios and such) but I do think that when you're poor and must choose your battles wisely, the metabolic effect of lc is much more important and protective of one's health than anything else diet-wise. Just my opinion, though
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-12, 07:34

BF:

Yes! I HATE when gurus make healthy eating sound like it's only for affluent folks who can afford $14 free range chickens!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-12, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 215/210.2/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Wow Ray Audette! I was wondering what had happened to him. I remember reading in the early 00s a mailing list devoted to the Neanderthin lifestyle.
Above paleo stuff he also advocated avoidance of nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, etc). This made it harder to follow.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 14:24

Plan: Paleo Diet
Stats: 273/256/165 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

This is awesome!!! I watched the interview and read the second post. Very informative and I like his approach. Makes me feel less bad about non-organic/non-free range meat. I do have a problem eating bacon though, there are a ton of additives. But I guess it must work.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 00:30

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

I have never read Neanderthin but from the info in the posts I've read over the years and the videos I've seen, I think I'm pretty much on a Neanderthin style diet.
My diet is very high in fat. Lots of meat, low carb in Summer and down to almost zero carbs in winter, a few salad veg, a little fruit (in Summer) and no nightshades. I very rarely eat processed bacon. I doubt that bacon is actually a requirement on Neanderthin but is probably more of suggestion.
I've been eating this way 6 or so years and have found it great. It gives me long lasting energy to do my job, which is very physical and it saves me from the horrible allergies, intollerances and low blood sugar mood swings I used to suffer on a daily basis.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 07:05

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

Interesting, especially the bit about heritage. My german sil does just fine on her vegan, tofu, grain lifestyle except for her osteoporosis. She has never battled her weight. However my family with their native American heritage on both sides can't eat it. We tend to have diabetes and high blood pressure. Our bodies just can't handle grains.

I feel and look much better on a whole 30/primal way of eating. Maybe finally at 43, I have learned how to eat. Lol
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 07:10

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

I have never wasted much time worrying about organic and grain fed. Yes, probably the ideal but I try not to get too hung up on perfection.

I just can't afford it with a family of 5, two of them teen boys trying to eat me out of house and home. We just try to eat healthy and stay active. Plus I don't want to go overboard with them and drive them to rebel. A moderate approach works best with my kids and they would rather eat berries and fruit, and cherry tomatoes for a snack then chips anyway.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 09:58

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 213/171.6/150 Male 70 (inches)
BF:31%/24%/22%
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Mama
I have never wasted much time worrying about organic and grain fed. Yes, probably the ideal but I try not to get too hung up on perfection.

Well said. Too often we tend to let the pursuit of perfection get in the way of achieving 'good enough'.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 04:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Good to see Ray Audette back on the scene again. His book Neanderthin is the one that I always recommend that everyone should read.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:08

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some

He was posting on some forum....can't remember where. Probably a google away.

I love him and still have the little paperback on the shelf.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 17:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Have not read his book yet; plan to do it.