Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 04:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another new to Medicare youngster here. Healthy, pain-free and on no medications due to the LC lifestyle going on six years.
Noticed on Mark Sisson's weekend update there is yet another of those FREE on-line seminars...this one on Anti-aging, Longevity. The usual list of Paleo and more veggie Real food folks. It seems a larger number of speakers than usual probably because the topic is broader. Can listen to one or all on each day. Just ignore the sales job and access is free. The breast cancer speaker was also on the Truth about Cancer documentary (as well as others). I keep my mind open to both diets, but don't regularly read veggie blogs, so I find these seminars useful for reminding me what else is out there.

http://antiagingproject.com/
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 13:39

Plan: ZC Carnivore 100%
Stats: 170/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
My 71st is also next month. Happy Birthday to US!

My weight doesn't go down any more, but I still haven't given up. From so many years of eating too few calories, my metabolic rate is shot so I'm working on getting something burning in there! Not an easy task I'm afraid.

I've got a small health issue I'm dealing with at the present, but all my lab work is positive, and I'm still walking my 2 miles pre dawn every day. I think once DH's heart gets back in rhythm and my stress level goes down, everything will be okay.

I'm 71 on 5 July -- you? I missed being born on the 4th by minutes, although my mother always disagreed with the doctor who delivered me as to the time. A major Midwestern summer electrical storm ongoing at the time, knocking out all the electricity so I was born by feel, flashlight, & candlelight in the doctor's office, the only hospital in that small town having burnt down a year or so earlier.

I used to walk a lot too before two surgeries on my face for basal cell skin cancer. I'm finally getting used to the idea I'll always be a prey to this problem, so now do a suitable coverup with sunscreen & hats. However, our desert summer started abruptly the day I returned to Atkins, going from the low 90s to 100-104 overnight, cooling off to about 80 by 3 a.m. So I'm not yet back to my walking daily. I too used to do 2-3 miles daily. As soon as I'm adjusted weatherwise & begin again to arise predawn, I hope to get back to walking in the cool early morning hours before the sun wakes up.

I started walking years ago as a way to reduce stress. I have normal BP, for example, until I walk into my local medical center or doctor's office. I'm not even aware of feeling stress most of the time. But I always feel better after I walk, even if it's just a short walk of a few blocks.

I checked out your blog & website of your family's musical career. I too am a writer. Years ago I used to listen to gospel music but stopped when so much of gospel music turned to shouting & dancing. The old-time family gospel singers were my favorites singing of course the old-time gospel classics. I only wish your family's gospel music was available on CDs for purchase -- I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. Meanwhile, I'll plug in & listen at the website. If anyone's interested in any of this, see bluesinger's User CP.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

You might ask your eye doctor about rebounding. I have heard that it can damage older people's eyes.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 16:33
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmoore

Blues Singer, I saw a post on Facebook recently that painful tingling feet can be one of the many symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. The article said that as we age, our bodies can't seem to absorb it as well, and in severe cases they give B12 injections. Severe B12 deficiency can be very serious.
I was almost certain I had a B12 deficiency, but just had labs specifically to check that out. The doctor said that my levels are good. Whew!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-16, 18:04

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Mo, you turned 38 on my second to the youngest's birthdate--he'll be 33 this year, on July 5.

He was a scheduled C section, at 7:30 in the morning. So ex and I rented a hotel room in downtown St Paul, as his mom was meeting us at the hospital to watch the two older (3 and 5) kids while the baby was born, and I didn't want to have to get sleepy kids up at 4 am and then drive the half hour into town.

A 7:30 C meant I was to be there by 6....
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 12:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Mo, you turned 38 on my second to the youngest's birthdate--he'll be 33 this year, on July 5.

I missed being born on the 4th by a few minutes, officially. But since I was born in the dark, it's really a toss-up as to actual birth time. I was born in a doctor's office, the electricity was out due to a storm, so doc & his nurse delivered me by flashlight & candlelight. My only question about your youngest, MickiSue, is this: is he also a firecracker? I've got what in kindness can be termed a quirky personality.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 14:11

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Actually, all the firecrackers must have gotten shot off before he was born, because he is, according the entire family, the sweetest one of them all.

Not that he's unfamiliar with the use of snark in conversation and as putdown on the interwebs. But he's always been kind and thoughtful, above all.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-16, 23:40

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'll turn 73 this year.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 11:29

BF:

Saw my eye physician for a regular exam & he told me some good news. The cataracts haven't grown any since they were first sighted 4 years ago, they are still in cataract babyhood, & I may never need cataract surgery at this rate. I did need new glasses given a slight change in my eyesight, but the good news is that with the new lenses I'll be back to 20/20. So overall, good news! I also purchased some beautiful new frames -- titanium once again -- to go with the new glasses. Sexy, I think. But more expensive, too. Sexy always is, right?

An older friend locally also talked me into making another appointment I've put off for over a year (they are legion ...), this one for a mammogram next week. That's when they try to put something round & warm into something square & cold. Yuck! But once it's done it's done for another two years. If I read things right, I only have one more after that to endure before I age out of the medical fascination with my breasts.

Meanwhile, since losing the first week the pounds I put on during the weeks I was away from Atkins, I haven't lost an ounce. This is my second week true to '72 Atkins (the original Atkins designed by Atkins as a solo) but losing weight is very s-l-o-w for most at my age. It's a good way to eat, I feel better on Atkins, have more energy, have a nearly flat tummy/abdomen again already, so no complaints from me. I do better anyway when I try to see the positive in everything.

Last edited by Desert Mo : Wed, Jun-15-16 at 11:36.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-16, 04:51

BF:

What works for me in terms of staying LC is eating fairly much the same things in the same amounts daily. Some say that wouldn't work for them. They need variety. I don't. It's a personal thing. I fairly much stick with eggs, salad greens, & chicken. Mammogram next week. Best wishes to all ... mo

Last edited by Desert Mo : Sat, Jun-18-16 at 08:00.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-16, 11:51

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi, I live in God's waiting room, Lake Chapala area, Mexico. Personally, I take no medications and enjoy excellent health except for arthritis in my feet that I can pretty much ignore. A burst appendix tried to kill me twice three years ago, but I survived and now I am back riding my scooter and a hoverboard. I'll be 68 this week and back to work. I am caregiver/companion to a sweet lady with dementia who is 76 and her very healthy and active husband who is 78.

We travel frequently and eat out a lot so I knew I had to really get my stuff together and work out a WOE or I would be gaining lots of weight. So far, so good and I'm glad for this forum to help me sustain the control and enthusiasm I'm needing for this new adventure.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 18:03

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

You name it and it's a challenge. I turned 76 this year and I still exercise by using the swim pool, recumbent bike, rowing machine, light weights, the big blue exercise ball and walk my dog rain or shine. I have a few health issues, of couse, but there's a big pay off for those who keep right on truckin'. It has to be that way unless my/your health is really bad. Even then couldn't we do "finger pushups"? Oh, we could do isometrics, right?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 19:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Posting mostly just to keep abreast of this thread. Will be Medi-care eligible at my next birthday, in December, which means 70 isn't all that far away.
I'm close too but a little closer. 65 in March so I start Medicare on March 1. I've already gotten my Medicare card (Part A and B) in the mail.

Still agonizing over which Medigap plan to choose and which Part D drug plan. Currently my only drug is Armour thyroid which is not covered by *any* Part D plan anywhere in the US - but you never know what will be down the road.

I don't walk much as I have a bad knee and it's doesn't take too much distance to develop a strong ache. Not to mention I live in Florida where it's warmer than I would like to walk for about 7 months of the year I do love to swim, but I have had about zero energy since breaking my wrist in July and for months wanted to do nothing but sleep - but I'm slowly regaining some energy so want to get more active again. Still not really "there" yet. And I'd be terrified of a rebounder, exactly the sort of thing I'd bounce off and break my wrist again!

Some of you know the name Dana Carpender, author of many LC cookbooks. I know Dana, we were on three of Jimmy Moore's LC cruises together, and we are both old "Jersey Girls", and are Facebook friends. She posted recently that she broke her left wrist TWICE last year - in January and again in May. Eeek. Not something I'd ever want to risk. She said she couldn't face the pain of doing it again. I don't want to face the pain a *second* time!

I do add collagen to my morning coffee and have for months but can't say it's helped with my joints at all. But it feels like I'm doing something
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-17, 19:36

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

hmm, got here twice somehow............ok have to add 10 characters.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 08:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Since I gave up cow's mild dairy and eggs, I've lost back to where I started maintenance. I think I was getting too much dietary fat and wasn't burning my "stores." Now that I've learned that I have bad reactions to both those things, I have hope that weight loss will continue, even if in small amounts.

I think that at my age, the wrinkle factor will keep me a little plump by choice (if you know what I mean).