Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 23:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Joining the Kick Nicotine Club

Ok this is it. I just got my results from cholesterol lab work and the numbers are awful!!! Even though I've been doing LC for a few months! I don't have much weight to lose, only about 10-15lbs or so, and my body fat is about 27%. So I figure one of the main reasons must be smoking, so it's time to quit.

Total Cholesterol: 305
Triglycerides: 77
HDL: 89
LDL: 201 (here's the problem I think!)

I'm starting Welbutrin tomorrow morning and setting my quit date for March 28 (right after TOM because I read that for women it's better to quit then). Also, for me I think easing off slowly is the best way, I've never been one to jump into the water.

Now it's time to start psyching myself into being a non-smoker. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it...Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 04:46

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Smile Hi there

Just wanted to say congrats on making the decision to quit - it's really worth it. It's not always easy, but we all help each through it

You might want to check out Quitnet - a site that I found very helpful when I gave up earlier this year.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 06:23

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 206/200/119
BF:
Progress: 7%

Welcome JudyAnn. I just quit smoking on March 17. I am already feeling better. I think it is the best thing you can do for your health. I am finding that exercising helps and also to drink lots and lots of water. I also feel as if LC helps fight off the urge to smoke, it eases the cravings. What also helps me is that I told all of my family and friends that I quit and they really are a great support system, and also coming to this board. Good Luck on your quit date. I know you can do it!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 09:30

Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I have noticed that since I've being doing LC I have cut down on smoking quite a bit, by about half. Maybe it's the water. I've heard that drinking lots of water helps flush the nicotine out of your system. As my quit date approaches I'm getting more and more excited about doing this.

Thanks for the tips JulieBoo3. I can use all I get.

Demi, I signed up at Quitnet. Thanks for pointing me there. Looks like a place with a lot of support.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:35

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default hope it's not to late

Hey there... just read this thread... but noticed last post was in march/april...

I am in the process of trying to ween myself off the Nicotine.. I have my own plan in motion but would love to hear from ... anyone else that has just quit... or is in the process of doing...

I could use a buddy....

Thanx... Shelley
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:02

Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Help

some one pm'd me about being a buddy... (nurse???) and I lost your screen name and e mail... *wrote it down but kids must have pitched it...*

Please.. if you are out there and reading this... I didn't ignore you... contact me again... ok???

Thanx ... Shell
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:14

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default hi

I started Atkins & Zyban on 4/29/03, and stopped smoking on Memorial day. I've cheated and had two cigarettes since I quit, but I still feel my quit date is Memorial day.

This is my 4th attempt to quit since last year with Zyban.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 21:16

Stats: 262/210/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Shell...I quit January 1st and i dont think I could have done it without Commit lozenges. Theyre made by the Nicorette people and (IMHO) are wonderful. Let me know if youd like more info on them and good luck to you, its so worth the effort to leave them behind.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 12:37

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Carrigen,
Hi. I am using the Commit lozenges and have found them to be great. I wondered if you can tell me how long it took for one to dissolve. It says have one every one to two hours, but it takes me 30 minutes or more to dissolve ONE. Do you wait another hour after it dissolves? I use the 2 mg ones.
Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:32

BF:

Congratulations on your quit!!!

I was the same, seemed to take forever for them to go away. But thats a good thing. The slower it dissolves the less trouble youll have with throat and stomach upset. When I first started using them I didnt read the directions, I was sucking 'em down like Tums. I ended up with a bad bad case of esophagitis. Best bet is to tuck it against your cheek and just leave it there. The slow release will work better and its safer. And truely, as long as your not smoking, their doing their job, whether you use 5 or 50. I smoked for 21 years and was a 4 pack a day smoker, so if they can do it for me, they can do it for anyone.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 18:58

Thanks Carrigen!!!
Are you a nurse by any chance? I am an RN. I will do anything to be a better role model for my son and my patients. I see first hand the ramifications of smoking. I smoked a 1/2 to a pack/day for 17 years (I'm 33 now, geez).
Take care. Glad for this forum.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 21:46

BF:

Yep, Im an RN too (they say nurses have the worst vices ) Ive known for years what a bad habit it was, just didnt care. Glad I finally wised up. How long have you been quit?

So have you been LC since December? Im really new to it, but love the results so far, both the weight loss and how I feel. In my area the physicians are actually supportive of this wol, more and more are considering it a good choice and even the most healthy lifestyle. Maybe one day I can be the poster child for LC Living!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 13:05

I've quit 20 times at least, but this is my 1st try with the lozenges as opposed to the patch which works until you remove it. I quit on July 2nd at night, my Wedding Anniversary date (14 years!). This would be a great milestone to remember quitting on.
I firmly belive that LC'ing kept my wt down last time I quit, and will continue to help this time. Good luck!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 246/221/190 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 45%

hey fellow poster's, i have been smoke free for 3 weeks now, by the great help of the patch..its wonderful....saving all the extra money for my cruise in January 2004...gives me something to look forward too...really dont think about smoking but i am a hairdresser and it gets stressful and that feeling i want one is sometimes there but i just drink my water and go to work on the next client....but i have been on atkin since March and loss 34 pnds but gained alot back but doing strick aktians and going good again....just wanted to say hello and join in on the views...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 19:17

Nice job Sephen!