Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-19, 07:23

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I've been reading a lot of carnivore success stories. One thing I've noticed in a few of them is that they allow themselves avocado occasionally. I haven't eaten any avocado since I've been mindfully doing carnivore this past week, BUT avocado is one of the two ways I can eat chicken breast (the other way is with mayo). While I'm a huge red meat eater, my husband is not. He usually prefers chicken, so I typically have a lot of chicken in my house. And because it's his go to dinner, there's always a tub of chicken salad in the fridge. I have been eating that this past week, mostly when I want salt, which I've been craving like mad all week. The problem for me with straight chicken (with salt) is that not only do I find it less palatable than beef, but it also doesn't have enough fat for me to feel satiated.

My big revelation this week is that I think I am also pork sensitive, which explains the inflamed gums I get when I eat bacon. Because I was eating my keto meatballs which are 50% pork, I noticed the bloat that I get with them. Also, my gums right now are pretty inflamed. And I was eating my meatballs plain with just salt.

This weekend I also had a fair amount of cheese; dairy also inflames me and can cause a little reflux. Had a little wine too. Hoping to start a full week of pure beef, but depending upon what our family does next weekend will expand again with wine and maybe some cheese and bacon.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-19, 07:54

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:

oh you got some things happening to you Tess.

if avocado makes you smile eating chicken then have it I have to say we have to make a plan that works for you and not against ya so being a Dirty Carnivore is never a bad thing.

I doubt almost no one is a perfect Carn. as they state for 'the rules' of it all. Life happens. Food preferences. Social/emotional and more......we have to live in this world ya know.....we have to find the perfect food choices that make us hold plan and not leave it.

Another thing is cook for him and for you. I do it all the time. I cook for me personally, then I gotta cook for the hubby and kid. omg....annoying as you know what but I do it for them but I must not even consider what they eat....I MUST then cook exactly how I like to eat to make this all happen. I put me on a separate food list in my family and I make sure I cook for me only as I need. This was a must

craving salt then have at it....salt up the foods good and be satisfied. very important on this lifestyle.

wow pork and dairy.......this is a killer cause when we eliminate so much, get so clean in eating and then discover something we do like hurts us.....wow....I can't even imagine how much tighter control you got to have.

I do fine on all meats. Dairy is fine for me......so my extra use of this means I don't have to 'be watchful' or 'hurt' what my intake.

This is just a big personal step you have to make.
Ditch it all, allow some? and get maybe bad effects?

Key here is YOU. Do what works for you at any and all times. If a bit of avocado makes your meal fab then ya have it.....make yourself satisfied as best you can with what you are working with and keep in mind that staying as CLOSE as you can at all times to Carnivore is key. Having some extra options are cool.....I think most do it all the time......but put you first

hard to do a lot of times but your meal situations need to be met and you must do this for yourself.

From reading your stats you are doing very well CONGRATS

Now be sure to keep YOU in this mix no matter what goes down out there in your family meal times or the big bad world. We deserve just that!!
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-19, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

This morning I ended a 16 hour fast with a great big breakfast....
3 slices of lunch ham, 2 slices of cheese, 2 large eggs, piled one on top of the other, in a frying pan... i used to make these back in 2006.. easy breakfast.
I don’t have problems with dairy.
I don’t feel satiated with chicken or seafood, unless I pile on the butter or mayonnaise.
I’ve dropped coffee/caffeine. Been drinking water, lemonade, and I got me some CF Diet Pepsi for the indulgence, in the afternoon.
I’m back to being pretty strict with myself.

Although, i have a good friend coming in tomorrow for 5 days..
She’s gluten free, not Carnivore. We’ll eat well, and will be on track.
I may not be totally Carnivore (98% here, as well).
But I’ll be clean, just the same.

Breakfast: I start out with ghee, in a hot skillet.
Add the ham and let that sizzle, then add the eggs on top and let them cook til the whites have solidified. then I add the slices of cheese, on top of the eggs, cover and let the cheese melt.
Put in a bowl and eat it with a spoon.. the yolks are still wet.. and it’s a very filling breakfast.
Just pulled out a couple of links of Italian sausage and i have a little bit of sauerkraut left.. about 2 T.. i also have the rest of the roast beef from last week, that I heat up and eat with chimichurri sauce.

That’s my diet.... simple, clean, healthy.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-19, 09:27

BF:

Dairy rarely affects me in any way except bloat/water weight, which I live with pretty easily. But I think because I've been eating so cleanly that either I'm noticing the effects of dairy more or my body is going, "Whoa! Haven't seen that in a week and I don't like it!" Normally, the only time I have reflux with dairy is when I make a crustless quiche with HWC. But last night I was feeling the dairy, and relatively speaking, didn't have that much. It could have been something else (I hope).

I guess we'll see going forward.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-19, 10:20

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

TESS- I just had to respond to your post. I AM SOOOOOOO dairy intolerant. Which is funny because the cravings are so real. I LOVE LOVE cream and melted cheese. But The cleaner I eat- the Worse it affects my body.

I mean really affects me- IBS, wonky tummy, BLOAT, headache. I just have had the worst time getting off of it those. TRIG- posted a article that explained it to me perfectly the cheese addiction. It really helped me understand why if I FEEL so rotten do I keep going back to it.

Trig- can you find that again?

Anyway- for all you with no issues- you lucky people you! I so agree, that each of of us process food differently that dairy might be ok for one and not the other. I have also read it is a huge weight loss blocker!

I have made it 2 weeks not completely dairy free lost 4 pounds. For the heck of it I wanted absolute certain it is dairy. Has 2 VERY small slices from the deli yesterday. I rolled with tummy ache all night. Headache this morning and BLOAT. Yup- done!

So I know that for ME, I use a a LITTLE of Rao marina sauce. I mean a sprinkle. Makes me feel like I am getting something special. it has the lowest sugar and carbs. I use it on just about everything but fish.
I can keep on track with it. Very good on red meats, chicken, even shrimp.
Inflammation is also a weight loss killer. Dairy for me is inflammatory.
Like Trig said- as long as you are 99.9% on key- adding a spice or a tablespoon of liquid changes the taste to delish- do it!!!!

No we don't NEED veggies. Those should be looked at as....well on this thread- a non issue. I have not yet converted 100% without a veg here and there. I am getting closer. The more I eat high quality meat, seafood, chicken the less I want. I have also found myself literally tossing money (veggies) in the trash because they go bad. I have really cut down to a couple times a week.

Yesterday was shrimp jumbo for my meal. I too practice one meal a day. Sometimes a snack, most times not.
But yesterday I did have deli meat with that Colby tucked in side and wished I would have passed on that.

This does work! I do use full fat delish Grass fed Kerrygold butter. I too love pink sea salt. We need it! I do indulge in a glass of dark dry red wine. I have found I am even cutting back on that too.

I love the idea of lean! I have a huge ways to go! 50 pounds would be great- 60 pounds would be goal!
I do know it can be done!!!!!-

Have a great day-

Today is chicken thighs in the oven with lemon pepper and salt in white wine and butter. I will sear the thighs in butter until "crispy"- remove. Add a dash of white dry wine and butter to deglaze and add the chicken back to put. I will top with garlic and squeeze a 1/2 lemon, sprig of tyme and pop in oven for 40 min 350.
DIG IN!!!!!! I bake uncovered for crispy.

Enjoy!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-19, 04:43

BF:

PilotGal are you doing forced fasts on purpose? or is this just natural fasting cause you are not hungry at all and just don't want to eat?

just curious.

I so tried IF type fasting....I called it forced I can do a little and have willpowered thru up to 3 days but I realized I am a beast kinda when doing it. I hate it. Won't ever do it again.

Now I just do natural fasting from not being hungry eating only meats and seafood. It suits me best.....I so get everyone does their own thing and works plans as they want.....me, I found thru trying that forced fasting does not suit me one bit. I like to go by hunger to direct me thru daily eating times.

CF Diet Pepsi. Only diet soda I allow in my life and rare occasions. I use that as a mix when I do my rum....heehee. Wow I bloat like a mother drinking that stuff and now the Diet Pepsi and rum drink, I sure can't suck them down like olden days. omg 1 drink I feel it LOL

Tess all you can do is keep going forward and see how things effect you.
Smart move....just go with the flow and see what goes down for you.

Jaz dairy is a nightmare for you. I know you even tried dairy 'pills' or whatever to try to eat dairy and survive, they didn't work. Your body sure hates dairy.

I googled dairy free cheese. Yes it is out there. Some weird things like cashew cheese and a few others......hey it might work for you??? I have no clue on it LOL Not sure if this stuff would hurt ya or be a good move forward for you......just saying

woke up not hungry today
I FEEL my hunger very clearly when I do Carnivore. And it isn't just not hungry....it is I do not want to eat. You know.....have no desire for food at all. Don't want to be around it, think of it, near it when other's are eating. I love this feeling actually

Yesterday I threw a big old chuck roast I got on sale in the crockpot.
I got a ton meat in the fridge waiting on me. Will eat whenever and got a few days worth. Pressure off on cooking for me
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-19, 04:52
Registered Member

i can't force myself to fast.. no, that puts too much stress in my life.
it's been a natural occurrence and when I go for 72 hours.. it's never difficult. it's natural. i can't force anything in my life. so when i wake up and not wanting to eat, i just keep going.
it's been nice. it feels good. it's easy for me.

i just pulled out pork belly to cook this morning and when i woke up, i had a desire to walk! put on my shoes and clothes.. just waiting for some morning light. i have two artificial hips and do not want to trip over a tree root.. so, just waiting for some morning light before i hit the street.

everything in my life is natural.
nothing is forced.
the only force i think i have is forcing myself to drive to the beach and work.
and lately, that hasn't happened either.

i have a friend arriving this afternoon to spend 5 days with me.
all she wants to do is hang on the beach all day long... so, i will be at the beach all week. she will force me to drive to the beach, everyday!
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-19, 05:24

BF:

PG I loved your answer......I could do that. Push a tiny bit past my twinge of hunger times and just give it more time and see how far I go. Knowing at any point I can stop and dive into a steak means there is no pressure or forced anything for me. I love that!

Thanks for clarifying.

I stopped eating yesterday around 7pm and since I am not hungry at all I will just go and see how long it takes me before I truly truly want my chuck roast in the fridge. See where it brings me

Oh I am jealous. I am a beach gal to the max. I love anything water. Lakes, creeks, rivers, ocean, bays, you name it I am around it. Water is my all time relaxing and feeling my best times in my life. Water baby....hey I could take your place for ya HAHA

I loved your post. Natural. Nothing forced. Nothing out of nature and balance. I so so enjoyed reading all that.

Your post hit me very well. You gave me some thoughts come to the forefront for me on how I want balance and natural thru it all.

thanks
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-19, 06:21

BF:

I have a couple of thoughts about dairy. I'm wondering if I would be ok with A2 dairy. Also, I would like to try Italian mozzarella, which is not made from cows but some other animal. I heard it tastes close to American mozzarella, which I love.

I like Rao's tomato sauce too! For me Rao's is easy to find in stores, but I have a slight preference for Victoria's. I also try to use very little, but have basically been going sauce free this last week or so. Sometimes I find tomato sauce makes me crave chocolate (which sends me to the fake food protein bars) so I know it's better for me to avoid it if I can.

Yesterday I had some avocado with chicken. It was fine.
I feel so much less bloated than I did a couple of weeks ago. Today, I'm going to stop by BJ's and buy some steak. I really wanted a steak last night but only had roast beef.

For the last 5 years, I think it's fair to say that beef has been my primary go to food. I've noticed when I'm really in the groove of carnivore-ing, I have zero cravings. It's a good place to be.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-19, 08:08

BF:

from the net: Yes, there is casein in goat and sheep milk, but not in the same form as cow milk. Sheep and goat dairy contain much less or no A1 beta-casein; instead, they mostly contain the more easily digestible A2 beta-casein, which is a big part of the reason they’re thought to be healthier.

I remember mentioning to Jazz in our other thread to try buffalo cheese, yak cheese, camel cheese. There are like easily 9 or more cheese not made from cow milk so.....

thing is...being not a science geek ever.....is the 'better of it' still gonna kill your guts from the usual stuff in the anials milk that might get ya if more allergic then some?

true trial and error from eating and seeing

I also am finding that beef is the go to and always will be. I find my best physical support from it. Agree on this big time! Red meat is key.

Eggs are useless to me now. They have no holding power for me. I mostly drop them but they are a great 'bacon cheese omelet' to order out in a restaurant if desperate.

Not a fan of tomatoe sauce....I was never an Italian eater type....but if I do put a spoonful of sauce over some meatballs...which I eat as a snack every now and then.....I find it doesn't bother me at all. I only do it if a taste change is absolutely needed for my mental health HAHA
only thing is amt of sugar and 'taste' that might give ya wants of another taste and drive you in a direction you don't want??? just chatting out thoughts LOL I know for me a trigger food 'maybe bite' or taste can easily drag me in a direction. so the big ? on what it takes for each of us?

meatballs I do parm cheese and I am good to go......when I need that sauce as a taste increase I find it never hurts me or makes me crave so I am lucky there.....maybe cause I never eat it a lot? rare add to my food and I am not a big fan anway so? I don't know LOL

I think that dairy allergy etc is something everyone has to experiment with and get some research off the internet to handle is my best guess on it all
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-19, 04:06

BF:

off to run errands.

later when home I am eating a nice sized sirloin steak. I might do a tad of fresh garlic in the fry time with the butter to give it a different taste, but then again I love it natural too.....omg, which one to do HAHA

after that steak......hmmm, will do some type of seafood for later eating if wanted. starting to get a shrimp hankering again!

so simple to cook and eat. I just love the ease of it all
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-19, 06:46
Registered Member

This morning, I took the iron skillet that I cooked pork belly in, yesterday..
and i threw some sandwich ham in the fat, put a couple of slices of salami on top of the ham and let that cook for awhile.. rendering fat.
then i cracked a couple of eggs on top of the salami and covered the pan and let that all cook in the seasoned pork fat..
when the eggs whites solidified, i placed a sliced of cheese on each stack.
covered. took off the fire and let the cheese melt.
i put one stack on each plate.
when my friend was ready to eat, all I had to do was heat it up in the microwave..
simple, delicious, high protein, high fat meal..
it will keep me satiated for about 7-8 hrs.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-19, 07:59

BF:

Girl, that made my mouth water literally reading that stack!

THAT is the way to eat!

I hope you have a great time with your friend, enjoy your visit!

Are you on that beach yet HA

I do that with bacon grease and much to my dismay my hubby 'cleaned' my last bacon grease out of the pan. I was so disappointed oh well.....told him when he sees a pan with grease in it sitting there, just leave it ALONE and look away.

You have your cooking down pat for this way of life. I so understand that. It is imperative we eat this well and be SO satisfied on this eating and what you type is just the above!

I love salami. I have it in the house all the time. I use that as my 'snack' with a bit of cheddar when the family is munching popcorn and chips and ice cream and who knows what else garbage.....if I am not hungry and I am off a bit cause I feel 'cheated' then I go for my delish salami and cheese and I feel 'normal' again...….lol.....thing is it is a mind game......normal eating is not the crap HAHA.....but my mind wants to say it is and my 'snack' works wonders.

Loved your post!
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-19, 08:02

BF:

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...neogenesis.html

for all of us to read.....I think all of us know Amy Berger.

older a bit read but it tells SO MUCH about why you need to eat the protein. It is not all about the added fats....ever.

just a read for everyone, like how it is so much in laymen terms and just registers with me.

take what you want from it and throw the rest as with any info. we post
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-19, 03:44

BF:

here is some interesting info copied from a site I visit.

-------
Forget juice cleanses and detox diets. While there’s probably nothing wrong with drinking your weight in liquid kale, it won’t flush out toxins any faster than if you were eating, you know, actual food.

The good news: There’s a little-known way your body does cleanse itself, and it’s a process you can optimize.

All you need to do is practice a little self-cannibalism.

What?

Autophagy.

you can actually train your body to eat itself — and, believe it or not, you want it to.

It’s a natural process called autophagy (the word literally means “self-eating”). It’s one way your body cleans house. In this process, your cells create membranes that hunt down scraps of dead, diseased, or worn-out cells; gobble them up; strip ’em for parts; and use the resulting molecules for energy or to make new cell parts.

In one 2012 study on mice, researchers found that autophagy protected against:

cancer
neurodegenerative disorders
infections
inflammatory diseases
aging
insulin resistance

Another study from that year showed how a lack of autophagy can be harmful.

It’s our ancestral and evolutionary response to dealing with feast and famine in times of stress,” Champ says. “Since a lot of these things would kill us, like starvation and exercise, it only makes sense that after millions of years we adapted those mechanisms to make them positive.'

3 ways to achieve this are:

be in ketosis....“Ketosis is like an autophagy hack,” Champ says. “You get a lot of the same metabolic changes and benefits of fasting without actually fasting.”

add in some fasting time. Skipping some meals is another stressful act that the body may not immediately love but ultimately benefits from. Research has shown there are loads of positives to an occasional fast.

Exercise. Exercise puts stress on your body.
Working out actually damages your muscles, causing microscopic tears that your body then rushes to heal. This makes your muscles stronger and more resistant to any further “damage” you might cause them. Regular exercise is the most popular way people unintentionally help their bodies cleanse themselves.

Our body’s innate recycling program.

as with anything posted, go off and read more on it if interested. But the ketosis, non-eating times we do fast without foods, the exercise we all should be getting (and I ain't saying the gym only here, lol, get out and move, bike, hike, kayak I what I do cause I ain't hitting no gym ever again in my life...heehee) ALL CONTRIBUTE to Autophagy which the body requires.

I like to check around and find some new to me info that always goes with being in a deep keto state. It is nice to know how I eat, what it gives me naturally, like easy no hunger, non-eating times are helping me and not going against me.....so this is good positive things.