Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 14:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328/266.8/230 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Not counting but I can tell it's working

I have been on and off this diet since 2005, that being my most successful year. As I have aged I've realized that I cannot keep adding ailments to the list so I really feel I am on track now to make this a way of life for me. It helps that I have motivation as I need to lose some weight so I can have my knee replaced.

I have been back on low carb for the past 2 weeks and I already feel so much better. My staples are: low carb shakes and or eggs and sometimes meat for breakfast. Lunch the past 3 days has been a Jimmy Johns Club Tuna Unwich and dinner has been fish or steak, broccoli and a Caeser salad or House salad with Ranch dressing. I'm snacking occasionally on Atkins or other types of low carb bars, Spanish peanuts, blue diamond habanero bbq almonds and celery with ranch dressing. I've also had a couple of wing meals. Last night was a low carb pizza I made on a low carb wrap. That's pretty much it for the past 2 weeks.

I haven't weighed myself but have an idea where I am at. I can tell my arthritis is a little better, my sleeping is a little better and my bladder is a little better now that I am past the first few days of excessive water loss . I am trying to stay under 25 carbs. Tomorrow I'll be watching the big game at a local BBQ joint. I'll have some dry wings and some bbq with either a little vinegar type sauce or sweet sauce, and a few Michelob Ultra's.

All this being said, how many of you have gotten to the point where you eat without overly scrutinizing everything? Yeah, I am sure I could get better results being more watchful of what I eat, but this way I don't feel like I am dieting and I can feel the success.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 15:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Welcome, and you ask a very good question. When I first started serious low carb, I was more analytical and scrutinized what I ate much more closely than I do today. Make sure as you eat "prepared" low carb foods that you read the labels closely. Some of the usual suspects like Atkins Nutritionals can contain some ingredients that undermine certain individuals. Don't believe that it's low carb just because the package claims it.

The difference today is that I have been eating this way for so long, I know the whole foods I eat no longer require my scrutiny because they are healthy (nutrient dense), contribute very few carbs, and I have a solid history of achieving good health by eating this way consistently. I do not put a limit on how much I eat, as I now have a very strong "full" signal and do not desire to eat any more once I get that signal. If you're consistent with your approach, you will adapt in the same way. It really becomes low maintenance, but to do it correctly, and that varies a bit by individual, you need to apply more scrutiny to what goes in your mouth in the beginning. If done right, you'll reach your weight and health goals. It's a journey, and a commitment to enjoying it while learning what works for you is very rewarding.

ETA: clarified that I don't put a limit on "how much" I eat, I certainly follow specifics on "what" I eat.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sun, Feb-02-20 at 10:39.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 07:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec35

All this being said, how many of you have gotten to the point where you eat without overly scrutinizing everything? Yeah, I am sure I could get better results being more watchful of what I eat, but this way I don't feel like I am dieting and I can feel the success.

I don't over scrutinize everything I eat, but then I do limit my foods to a short one page list of allowed foods. Not on the list, don't eat it. There are no nuts at all, nor any Atkins products. You could bring a bottle of SF wing or BarBQ sauce to skip their sweet sauce and still enjoy those wings and a light beer. There is no weighing and measuring on the plan I use except a few small extras. All the real foods on the list are eat until full. Pretty simple. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 10:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I don't count but I do keep track of how a food makes me feel after I eat it.

Like I was jazzing up an omelette with cream cheese and dried cherries. And it triggered cravings. Turns out, those dried cherries had sugar added! And when I use frozen ones, I'm fine.

Likewise, that sweet sauce could be messing you up, because cravings which can't be satisfied are probably the number one reason people fall off their plan, and can't get back up.

I like Janet's suggestion of bringing your own sauce. Why hope to dodge a bullet? Wait until you are at goal to try such athletic feats
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 11:39

BF:

I appreciate the suggestion about the sauce. I haven't found a sugar free sauce I like yet. I do like buffalo wing sauce so maybe I'll try it on the bbq. If I do the sweet sauce it'll be a teaspoon or less, I do it just for flavor, I'll still stay under my limit today.

I do nuts and Atkins bars occasionally as I drive about 40,000 miles a year. They travel well, combined with a case of water in my back floor board I can keep my hunger under control.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 13:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Hi Mike. What you're describing was basically my experience for the first decade or so of eating LC. What's that 80/20 principle, where 80% of the benefit comes from the first 20% of the effort? That was my experience.

Time marches on, though, and along came a few more ailments. I had to become more strict, but it really didn't feel like a huge burden, and it still doesn't. Take it one meal at a time. Get used to this new "normal", and if you need to become more strict down the road, well... that's down the road.

Best of luck, enjoy the SB party.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

At my favorite BBQ place I love to have pork ribs and sliced fatty beef brisket.(I specifically ask for fatty beef or loose as some BBQ joints like to call it) This place also has veggie sides so I usually have green beans and/ or cabbage. I also love lots of dill pickle slices. The BBQ is so good and well made that it doesn't need any sauce and isn't cooked with any sugar at all.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 04:57

BF:

Be aware, Mike, that we are fussing about sugar because it really is like Kryptonite to some bodies. I can have fruit with heavy cream for dessert happily. That SAME CARB number in sugar would have me ripping the cupboard doors off the hinges.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 08:56

BF:

Thanks for the advice. I had some buffalo wings and a couple of low carb beers. I'm hoping they used buffalo sauce with no added sugars, most buffalo sauces I see have 0 carbs. I was good. Back on the wagon trail today, although I don't feel like I fell off the wagon yesterday. I've got a few doctors visits coming up in the next few weeks, more motivation to keep losing weight. Don't want the Doc's to subliminally shame me about my weight haha..
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 12:17

BF:

Quote:
Back on the wagon trail today, although I don't feel like I fell off the wagon yesterday. I've got a few doctors visits coming up in the next few weeks, more motivation to keep losing weight. Don't want the Doc's to subliminally shame me about my weight haha..

Great news! Occasional indulgences can work: if they stay occasional.