Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#676   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-21, 06:17

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

off to moms and moving slow this morning

HI

will be back to chat up later

be good all!
Sponsored Links
  #677   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-21, 06:31

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well I woke up to a vomiting dog again. I took her to the vet this week and she said her liver enzymes were elevated. I looked up symptoms for acute pancreatis in dogs and she hits them all!!!!!

I am treating her as if she has it. Because if she does there is nothing the vet would do I can't do here. Gut rest....... more gut rest and I love her more.
I paid hundreds of dollars this week for the vet to do nothing. She never even mentioned pancreatis .......DUH- Abdomen severely distended, vomiting, panting, and lethargy! And her enzymes are up!
I'm not a vet but I can read.

Plus it makes sense as she stated feeling bad when I took her off kibble. Not only that- one of the causes is fatty meats. I should have been boiling her meat- not frying it up.
I feel like this is my fault.

You know you try to do the very best for your babies............
Well I got her into this mess I will get her out.

That being said- I read that dogs that have "grown up" on meat are ok- it is when you switch it up if they are obese and elderly.
I know you TRIG - have switched Bolt to meat. Do you boil yours?!?!?!?

So I have her on boiled chicken broth only today until her abdomen goes down. She feels miserable too!

I just hate it this fur babies have us in a wad!!!!!!!!

Other news- I am still planning to leave here on the 8th. My furniture will not arrived until the next weekend. I will go and get a room rug and blow up bed. Taking my coffee pot and griddle pan- I can survive a week. I have my beach chair too. I will also pick up a card table to put my computer on. I will be fine!

Work is coming along!!!! - I am finding the team very supportive!!!!

I can't wait to get in- settled- and settled. At least I know where I will be landing!

Gotta run- so sorry all about me! Back tonight with personals after you all check in!

Safe travels Lori- but truly- hang out another day!!!!!! Your dinner sounded really really good! Love me a crab cake!!!!!
  #678   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-21, 07:52

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Lori, So glad you had a nice meal out with your Sister. Sounds wonderful. I know you are so glad to get to see her in person again. Your golf lessons sound like they are going really well also. Life is good for you right now!

Jaz, I'm sorry Bella is struggling so. Believe me, I know how it is. Hopefully a day of broth, then boiled meat and rice will do the trick. Or maybe just giving her the kibble back, unless she was having an issue with it directly? I don't remember if she was or not.

Wow, you are leaving really soon! A little over a week. Is it a year lease? I don't think you've said or if you did, I didn't see it. Very excited for your new adventure! Maybe your DD can bring the kids up for a weekend. It would be a fun adventure for them!

Trig, I hope you allergies have settled a bit. DH has been feeling under the weather and DS22 has said he is really stuffed up so I know it is hitting some people for sure. I know you are out and about today. How is DD doing? How is school going for her lately?

•••••••••••

Life this week has been all about Sophie care. She isn't doing well. DH and I talked last night and we will keep reevaluating, but her quality of life right now is very poor. She fell over trying to eat yesterday, even with her bowl elevated up to head height, and fell over outside. She did pee and poop this morning, which is great, but tripped several times when her paw buckled under her when she tried to walk. To me this seems like some sort of neurological or nerve issue. Her back legs aren't working properly, her front leg isn't working properly. So, I don't know.

We Facetimed DS19 just to catch up last night and told him about Sophie and what happened and how she is doing. Gave him a chance to see her (couldn't wake her though, she was out cold) and let him know that we may or may not be able to have her hang on til mid-May. We don't want to extend her pain unnecessarily if it doesn't seem like it will turn around. Grades wise he is doing well going into Finals (2 As, 2 Bs) The other big news from him is that he and his HS GF seem to be reconciling, so that will be interesting.

So that has been my week in a nutshell. Giving pain meds, helping her move around when she needs to. I have gotten a workout in every day but may take a rest day or just do light weights today.

DD's birthday is this weekend- she will be turning 26! I bought her a new pickleball racket that she'd been eyeing, and special ordered her a cake that I knew she had asked for. Other than that we will just give her a bit of money.

That's about it from here. Hugs.
  #679   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-21, 08:52

BF:

So mom cancelled cause bro Rich scheduled a new water heater installed today so she told me don't come, she got it :0 but I am on call and so is hubby if required but all good.

Nicco SO SORRY! yea that sound more nerve/neuro and that is one of the roughest darn issues to deal. Wishing you guys the best on that one but always remember, what a damn great life that doggie lead in your care Sucks our furry friends span is so much less than ours truly but know life goes down as it must go down and all will be ok!!!

Happy DD birthday and over that 25 mark, wow and a pickleball racket is a great prez with money of course! Who doesn't love money? I know I do HAHA

Lori, sounds fab your enjoying eating out and more with Sis.
You had a nice time and golf lessons and fun loosing up with visits and more.....got it made in the shade right now

Jaz, pancreatitis in dogs is vicious. My cost. Thru my DUMB was like $600. Bolt jumped up and ate a chili cheese dog off the plate of the kids Nicole had over doing a swim party in the pool. No clue he would do that. He was SO sick it was insane. Damn near death truly and vomit and wouldn't move and tail down and OMG but I KNEW he ate that damn chili dog and cheetos! So vet said dogs can not handle spices and more that they don't have any assimilation with and can go off easily to this mode and it can get very bad.

for us. $600 and time. Time was about 5 days of 'damn near dead dog' truly and it was sad as he suffered but time also 'got it all out of him'

Second STUPID I WAS when I had leftover venison deer that hubby marinated. Fed him a good bit and down for days with big D and sick and just awful. He never got that again! Vet cost was lower cause I took him in but KNEW how dumb I was and only a $200 or so bill on that one when I said I fed him deer and my vet was like, well DUH? learn anything from the chili dog fiasco? Yes I did truly now HA

I only NUKE chicken for him. Microwave cut chicken breast. He also gets ''''a little steak'''' when I fry in butter. Very little. He mostly lives on chicken breast cause he IS SMALL and requires like nothing in kcals and fat intake. Plus he gets 1 slim jim per day cause he always loved it and while spice loaded he has lived on those since birth. A slim jim a day is he 'big fat boost' that he is very accostomated to now.

He gets nothing else but I do give him a baby handful of 'Fresh Pet small dog beef and salmon' each day as his 'real meal' along with his chicken breast.

Dogs require very very little food per lb. Mine is 30 kcals per lb and he should weight 10 lbs so 300 or so kcals per day is max for him for healthy and that is no food really LOL and of course YA WANNA feed them alot of crap as we all do HAHA

Put Bella on what she loves. Salmon, eggs and some chicken you fed her as her best menu? Whatever she loved before ya do it but drop all veg/grains and FEED SMALL amts ONLY.

We can't apply our crazy icky food stuff and eating all the time to our pets.....yea we want to, I know LOL

Wishing you the best cause I know.....I got no issues with Bolt other than the seizure things but those are under control now and I think me feeding him 'a few bites of bacon' the other day which he never gets made his guts go wonky again.....omg will I ever learn? Yes I am getting better on it HA

so that is my advice and info and troubles thru it all. Hold on, you can correct her I am sure!
  #680   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-21, 14:52

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I'm home......my golf lesson was cancelled, so I just packed up and hit the road about 12:30. Of course, I drove thru rain again. Miserable. I swore I would never make that trip in the rain again, but yep....did it again. Sigh.....

I'll make another trip down next month or sometime over the summer to get the final lesson I paid for. I paid for a series of 3 and only had 2, so she owes me one. I'll schedule something and then spend another couple days with Connie.

DH has been talking my ear off since I got home. Lord help me. Gabby is very needy and following me around and wanting me to pet her. She's still limping, but doesn't cry out in pain when she jumps or anything. A trip to the Vet may be coming for her next week if she's not much improved.

We're supposed to get T-storms tonight....oh joy. Tomorrow is going to be hella windy too. Yuck. We'll have a cold start to golf on Saturday. 30's overnight and we have a 9:30 tee time. Brrrr....

Ok....have to find something for DH for dinner. He didn't eat all the leftovers I left for him, so I'll throw something together.

Bye!
  #681   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-21, 17:42

BF:

Lord have mercy regarding these pets/ babies!

NIC- I am right there with you on nursing along a near death dog. I am hopeful she will recover. I hear ya on Sophie- I have no words. I am thinking about how I feel about my sick as hell dog and just can't "go there".......... (((((((( HUGS)))))))))))) I know what you are going through. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we love them so much don't we?

Trust me your DD will love some $$$ for birthday! They all do! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trig- OMG on Bolt eating a chili dog! Did he get pancreatitis?
I hear ya on during back a sick dog. I have not left her side.
I am googling how to get her back. Ya I had the option to drop her off and have her caged and alone and scared there. No thank you. She is here by my side. We will sleep on the floor together in case she vomits again.

Glad your baby doing well!!!!!!!!

Lori- Sorry to hear your last lesson didn't work out. But it sounds like you had a fab time with sis!!!!!!

I can't believe how cold it is there!

Blue- hiya!

-----------------------
Just chillin tonight. Feeling blah......... made it through work and my mentor told me I was doing so well. Everyone is pleased.........

Moving on plan.

later- tomorrow
  #682   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-21, 03:04

BF:

Good Morning!

I feel so bad reading about all our aging pets. They are such a big part of our lives. I hope Sophie & Bella are both doing better today. Gabby did not venture upstairs with us last night. She was waiting for me down here when I got up at 4. I woke up and was worried about her, so I got up. She ate some breakfast and now is outside. I bought her some elevated food dishes to make it easier for her to eat and she's not sure about them. She did eat out of it this morning, so hopefully she'll adjust. Oh these babies!

I'm going to stay in today. It's supposed to be super windy and get colder as the day goes on. It's pretty warm this morning. I'm going to do a Pahla workout this morning, then a shower & some laundry. That's my day. Oh.....and I have to make Betty her cream cheese dip....the empty container was waiting for me when I got home.

When DH went to see her last evening and get her something to eat, she was sound asleep. He didn't have the heart to wake her, so she'll be extra hungry this morning. She's sleeping a lot more lately. He'll be checking on her this morning.

Scale is only up a little over a pound from my visit with DSis. Not bad at all. It was enough of a gain to boost me back into the next "decade". Want to lose that and get back down a few.

Ok gang.....hope it's a good Friday and all are well. ((Hugs))
  #683   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-21, 05:27

BF:

Lori, DH in your ear when ya got home LOL HE missed you but hubbys are better more silent than chatty, I so hear ya on that HA

I agree with older pets. Time is so short ya know and they are family and emotional furballs to cling to...hard when this stuff goes down for sure for all of us!

Jazz, hey Bolt was sick for like 5-7 days and damn near deathly sick....but he came around. Time cures it mostly. Hope Bella is slowly improving and you feed her meat and salmon and let her come around slow, she will then ya put her on carnivore bootcamp with yourself LOL

Nicco, I hope your furball is doing better any way she can!
Give us updates when ya post.

-----------cancel from mom yesterday cause bro Rich scheduled a new water heater to be installed. HUH NO ONE tells me nothing LOL So thought about heading up today but I want home time, hubby off driving for work and I want me time at home and will go to mom's tomorrow.

omg I hate up in the air things in ANY of my days. Too old now to like anything getting in my 'time' as I want to schedule it ya know. I don't do changes well, never did in my whole life but I can fit mom in tomorrow, tomorrow is fine enough to go shop for a few items and visit LOL ugh but this stuff is what it is. I wish she wasn't damn near an hr away. Drive is just enough to be a PIA ya know but again, whatever I guess. Damn I am getting too old to get out of my comfort wants in my day and good thing is my mom is SO old that she doesn't give a crap what goes down or when anymore so it works well HA

eating is great. nothing much doing on that front. holding my own but not losing darn it but what little I gained up ain't much so now trying to get rid of that little and keep going down the scale. I am gonna have to put real work into this again ugh but again, whatever

be good all
  #684   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-21, 06:12

BF:

TGIF!!!!!!! OH YEA!

Trig- I am reading your posts and clinging to them like a life support line. I am hopeful Bella will 'pull though" this spell.
She is not not interested in drinking and I give her a time limit if she doesn't drink by the end of my work day I am getting a needless syringe and pour in down her throat.

I feel so bad for her- breathing still labored- liver swollen, and uncomfortable. She is not in pain though- I won't be able to handle that.
I am hopeful a few days and she bounces back like Bolt!
I have noticed dogs go down fast- but they can recover fast. Fingers crossed.

I get ya on your mom being an hour away. However, if you look at it as she is only an hour away if something goes down! Plus you got your Bro to help is awesome!!!!!!

Hold your line! The pounds will shift again! Think about where you were this time last year!

LORI- HAHA On chatty hubby!!!!!! Love me some pj days on a cold blustery day! You could make a warm beef stew and kick back with a good book! Perfect day in my book!

I am sorry to hear about Betty- it is sounding like she is slowing down a bit. You know we are all going to be there someday! Hopefully time will be kind.

I am glad you had some good time with your sis. MEH the lbs will fall off you.

NIC- Sophie updates- make them good!

Hiya Blue
-------------------------------------------------------
The projected move is still the 8th- week from tomorrow. I will be in the apt and have WIFI hooked up. Then a week later I need to head to Atlanta and get my furniture.

It is amazing the amount of STUFF I am dropping off at the Good Will. Good Stuff too- but I am over clutter! I want SPACE. I really packed up my 2 bedroom house with STUFF.

Got to line up some movers today- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Where is the OMG emoji

Off to shower/coffee/and plug into work! 8.5 hours to go.

Back later
  #685   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-21, 08:35

BF:

Hi all-

Oh Jaz, big hugs on your Bella. I am sorry she is having such a hard time. Poor girl. And I really feel for you too. Not that we don't love our dogs, because we absolutely do, but Bella is your Ride or Die. You know? You two have a very strong relationship bc it is the two of you. I really hope everything gets right with her.

It is so easy to accumulate stuff, even when we try to guard against it. Same over here!

Trig, I was LOLing over the fact that Bolt gets a daily Slim Jim. You old softie!! LOL

I hope ya have a good home day today. Fill us in on how the kid is doing at some point.

Lori, I do hope your Gabby makes a recovery as well and gets back on track. I agree with you- these Babies!

It's probably good that Betty is sleeping more but also likely a sign of things starting to slow or shut down a bit. Bless her and you guys for all you do for her.

Sorry your golf lesson was canceled (why was it?) but glad you got home safely.

••••••••••••

Well I am a total cranky pants this morning. Ugh! Just over life in general today.

DH is having stomach upset off and on over the past week or two that comes and goes. I honestly think it might be stress or an ulcer or something. Work stress.

This morning he let the dogs out instead of going out with them like we have been doing. I don't think he realized. So Bella comes back to the door and Sophie does not, so he goes around the house to find her. She sees him and comes running(ish)- well, she is not supposed to be doing that AT ALL. Now she is limping horribly. UGH UGH UGH.

She is also having poop accidents regularly- I think it hurts her to get in the poop position and I also think she is constipated from the pain medicine. I also am not sure she is even aware/feels it happening. This just absolutely sucks rocks and it is also really just depressing as hell. Blue, I know you relate from watching your sweet Doggo go through the changes as well.

In other ways she seems to be doing better though, in that she isn't falling over. I think that was adjusting to the pain meds as it has gotten better.

So yeah, I am just feeling blah and blue and overwhelmed. I haven't done squat for cleaning this week either. Ugh. Next week will be better.
  #686   ^
Old Sat, May-01-21, 03:40

BF:

Good Morning!

May 1st!! Bundling up to head to the golf course around 8:30. Wearing layers and will peel off as I can. I'm so anxious for warm mornings....enough of this cold crap!

Thinking of you, Jaz & Nic and your pups. Hoping things are going ok. As for Gabby, she is still limping around, but eating pretty well and doesn't seem to be in pain. She doesn't walk far before she flops down for a bit.

Nic.....I was a cranky pants yesterday too. I really didn't have a good reason to be, but there it was. I made an early trip to the grocery store(6AM), came home and had all my other chores done by 8. Once I had all my "stuff" under control, my humor improved. DH is lucky he was working yesterday morning. I hope your DH is feeling better. Stress can do wonky things to your stomach.

Jaz...I hope your week ended on a good note. Did you have any luck finding some movers? It's too bad all your stuff is so far away in Atlanta. You'll get it handled, I know.

Trig.....I didn't realize your Mom lived that far from you. Under an hour is not too bad, but if/when you need to be there in a hurry, it probably feels like a LONG trip. Does your brother live quite close?

Blue.....thinking of you every day. Hope the writing is going well.

---------

I'm going to run to the laundromat early this morning with some of Betty's stuff and come home and hang it on the clothes line. It's supposed to get into the 60's today, so things should dry. Then it's home to have another cup of coffee before going to chase that little ball around the course. Swing, swear and go find the ball.

Have a day!
  #687   ^
Old Sat, May-01-21, 07:42

BF:

Morning Lori!

It's just you and me so far today.

I'm sorry I don't remember this but did you all ever take Gabby in to the vet or just sort of wait it out? I'm sorry she is still limping but glad she doesn't seem to be in pain. How old is she now (and what is the expected lifespan of her breed of cat, do you know)

Glad your crankies got better yesterday. Mine improved somewhat after I did some house cleaning. I think waiting around/worrying about Sophie all week took a toll. Ya know? I hope you have a fun golf day!

DS22 said he was going to sleep in but I hear him moving around up there so I think he might be going to see his fiancee after all. She leaves tomorrow to go back to NC.

Well, nope, he just came down and said he couldn't sleep and he's just up. A work schedule will do that, I guess!

Sophie seems to be doing better! I probably shouldn't use a ! bc she is still limping horribly. But she is peeing, pooping, eating and seems to be finding some pleasure in going outside and eating her food again. In other words, she has some quality of life returning, even if she can't motor around like she did (and I have no idea why that is.) But for now she is on a different road than she was on earlier this week and I'm glad for that.

Tomorrow is DD's birthday- she will be DD26! We will be going out to dinner to celebrate her.

That's about it from here. DH has something in Georgetown today (in DC) and I just have a quiet day planned for myself. DS22 will be out with Fiancee tonight.
  #688   ^
Old Sat, May-01-21, 12:26

BF:

Nic.....I haven't taken Gabby to the Vet this time, though I did have her to the Vet probably a year or more ago for much the same thing. That time she was actually carrying her bad back leg. This time she is walking on all fours, just limping a bit. They couldn't find anything wrong the last time, so I think she must just have arthritis or something that flares up. She is going to be 11 years old this summer. My last domestic short hair lived to be 18. The Vet told me that sometimes they jump down from somewhere and twist their knee or hip......just like we do. As long as she's eating and doesn't seem to be in pain...even when she jumps up on my lap, I will just hold off on the Vet visit. It's when they stop eating that things go bad in a hurry for cats. After only a couple days of not eating, their liver starts to struggle. If they're not taking in any protein thru food and their body is surviving on stored body fat, the liver becomes overwhelmed with fat and it's not good.

I'm glad to hear that Sophie is doing a bit better. Happy birthday to your DD tomorrow!
  #689   ^
Old Sat, May-01-21, 17:50

BF:

Wow, 18!! I hope Gabby has many years to go then and whatever is going on with her passes quickly.

Jaz, you know I'm thinking about you. Xoxox

So, in a strange turn of events, my sense of taste is off. I noticed it a little bit yesterday, but more in terms of not really tasting saltiness. Today it is more so, no taste of saltiness or strong flavor. I can still smell but some things more than others. I feel perfectly fine. But Dh gave me a taste of something and I said, I don't know, maybe you should add cinnamon to it (it was a piece of bread pudding I had bought him at a bakery when I picked up DD's cake) and he had just added cinnamon. I literally couldn't taste it at all.

So, I dunno. Covid? Tongue scraper? I don't have any idea. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. I guess if it continues I should get a test done.
  #690   ^
Old Sat, May-01-21, 18:53

BF:

Dot.........
I brought her home.......put up a blow upped we can both sleep on. She keeps vomiting on the bed and I don't want to replace a new mattress

So I put up the bed and she walked right over and settled on my legs and is resting comfortable.

I want to spend everyday........... Will post tomorrow- I ma spent