Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 19:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Blood sugar question

I've used Atkins all my adult life. It's the only diet I can stay on and lose weight on! Can anyone tell me if the Atkins sweets & shakes raise blood sugar? They are what keep me on the wagon!

Last edited by ssmarilyn : Sat, Nov-30-19 at 19:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 16:52

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I didn’t experience that but ... they may for some.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 16:59
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

This is what the atkins.com site says:

"The Atkins shakes weigh in with 20 grams of high-quality protein, 2 to 4 grams of fiber, only 1 to 2 grams of net carbs and nary a drop of high-fructose corn syrup or other added sugars or any trans fatty acids—and all with 170 calories."

If that is accurate, the carbs should have no negative impact at the beginning. As you progress and lose fat be suspicious of all processed food if you stop losing.

That's my 2cents worth.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 13:52

BF:

Thanks for the info Glenda and I don't do processed foods.. they are pure garbage.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-19, 16:36

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

The Atkins products are processed foods. I used to use them, but I wasn't able to stop at just 1. Like sugar junk foods, they just left me craving more. It took me a while to figure out that eating too much low carb food was just as bad for me as eating too much of any food.

But that's just me. Have you checked your blood sugar before & after eating/drinking them? That's how I found out that foods that other people say are fine for low carb diabetics aren't fine for me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 10:15

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
...It took me a while to figure out that eating too much low carb food was just as bad for me as eating too much of any food.

This concept dawned on me too, this time around. As I got smaller, it became necessary to eat like the size I wanted to be and not like the size I was. I eat much smaller portions now.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 11:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
The Atkins products are processed foods. I used to use them, but I wasn't able to stop at just 1. Like sugar junk foods, they just left me craving more. It took me a while to figure out that eating too much low carb food was just as bad for me as eating too much of any food.
I had the exact same reaction.

I did measure my BG a few times; it didn't spike, but it did rise 2-3 times more than the theoretical net carbs would predict. I routinely doubled their listed "net carb" counts in my daily accounting, but that didn't help. I quit buying them ~15 yrs ago, because of the cravings that take away my control, and if I do not feel in control of my eating, I cannot stay on the diet that works for me for life. I've also cut out milk proteins, legumes and all grains for the same reasons. It is not just BG that you have to worry about as foods contain casomorphins, gluten & gliadin exorphins and affect other hormones besides insulin. But you do need to figure out which foods work for you and which don't. I'm not perfect and do occasionally eat the foods I've cut, but the cravings for junk will start 45-60 minutes later and I have to nip these excursions in the bud or the urge to binge is heightened.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 12:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
As I got smaller, it became necessary to eat like the size I wanted to be and not like the size I was. I eat much smaller portions now.

Absolutely!

Eating less food was a foreign concept to me for years - I thought I would starve. Of course I haven't starved even tho I'm eating a fraction of what I used to eat - without (usually) being hungry. (On the plus side, I'm also a fraction of the size I used to be! Used to wear 3X, now I'm down to a simple large.)

Being hangry used to be a regular thing for me if I didn't eat every few hours (my poor family!). But I rarely get to that point now. For instance, yesterday we planned on eating breakfast out, but because of life intervening, we got a late start & it was more like brunch. I hadn't eaten for about 16 hours and I was hungry, but otherwise felt fine. I was also around candies & pastries for a couple hours after eating (craft fair ) & wasn't at all tempted.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 12:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Only you can know the answer...test your blood sugar, not once, but 2 or 3 times after consuming the sweet. As others said, also note how hungry you are...if you are getting hungry again only 3 hours after eating it, probably not the best for you or weight loss. If you are desperate for a chocolate taste, Dr. Westman has allowed a shake mid-afternoon ("only" 8 total carbs and sucralose), but not the cookies, candies etc. The maltitol in them is like pure sugar and tough on the GI tract plus total carbs over 20g.. https://www.dietdoctor.com/atkins-fairy-tale-candy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 13:55

BF:

Quote:

But that's just me. Have you checked your blood sugar before & after eating/drinking them? That's how I found out that foods that other people say are fine for low carb diabetics aren't fine for me.

I'm sorry.. I should have been more clear. The only time I eat any Atkins items is as a treat and my main meals are all fresh, pure food. Nothing in a box or bag. I also discovered that more often than not, when I felt hungry, I was actually thirsty. I had read an article on it one day so tested myself when I felt hungry. I drank a big glass of water and lo and behold I was no longer hungry. I guess our thirst mechanism doesn't work so great as we get older.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-19, 13:57

BF:

Thank you for all the suggestions! I appreciate it and will test myself!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-19, 20:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmarilyn
I guess our thirst mechanism doesn't work so great as we get older.

I'm noticing that. I've never had a problem drinking enough water, but now I have to think about it. Winter doesn't help, so I'm trying to remember to drink hot herbal teas.