Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 17:33

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Nuts are not allowed on the clinic program...they are "morish", not everyone can stop at one measured ounce, and they are calorie dense. If overeaten, too many carbs and too many calories. Favorite nuts like cashews are over 9 g per ounce, and when counting total carbs, blowing half your daily carb allowance on a few cashews doesn’t leave much room for good meat, eggs and veggies...even 7 g of almonds for a snack is a bit much when trying to stay to 20g total carbs.
Exactly. This should be made clear on all the "lists."
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

A half ounce to an ounce of raw unsalted walnuts or pecans is 100-200 calories and about 1-2 g NC. So you can fit them in even when doing VLC if you want to. I do 35-ish g NC and easily fit in a half ounce to an ounce a day. I do stay away from peanuts and cashews because they trigger an appetite for more, more, more.

Last edited by barb712 : Fri, Mar-15-19 at 20:48.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 07:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
A half ounce to an ounce of raw unsalted walnuts or pecans is 100-200 calories and about 1-2 g NC. So you can fit them in even when doing VLC if you want to. I do 35-ish g NC and easily fit in a half ounce to an ounce a day. I do stay away from peanuts and cashews because they trigger an appetite for more, more, more.

Nuts are included in many LC and paleo diets that count net carbs. Dr. Westman's protocol used in his 20 years of clinical research and for the type of patient that comes to his clinics, only counts Total Carbs and does not allow any nuts for the above reasons. For patients with obesity, T2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. this is what worked in Dr. Atkins clinic and what Dr. Westman then made part of his research.

Quote:
Exactly. This should be made clear on all the "lists."

How many times have you heard Dr. Westman say...If it is not on Page 4, don't eat it? He tells a funny story now that someone reconized him at an airport in Europe...so he asked him what page he follows, and he gave the correct page 4 answer

There is no nuts, no wine, no yogurt, no cottage cheese, no fruit, no corn, peas, and of course nothing made with grains....it's actually quite a long list of what not to eat. Believe me, it's easier this way

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Mar-16-19 at 12:33.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 07:25

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Nuts are included in many LC and paleo diets that count net carbs. Dr. Westman's protocol used in his 20 years of clinical research and for the type pf patient that comes to his clinics, only counts Total Carbs and does not allow any nuts for the above reasons. For patients with obesity, T2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. this is what worked in Dr. Atkins clinic and what Dr. Westman then made part of his research.

I think this is an important point. Dr Westman uses a protocol that best suits the patients whom he treats. Dr Bernstein also says in his 6-12-12 plan of 30 total carbs that it is best to avoid nuts because it is hard to control how many we eat. As individuals we can tweak these plans to suit ourselves but when we do so we have to understand the potential pitfalls of the ways in which we tweak plans that have proven to be successful for the majority of people who have used them. For years I followed Dr Bernstein's protocol precisely as he advised. This way I figured I was assuring myself of being successful without having to spend too much time trying to tweak things. It worked. The same thing goes for following Dr Westman's protocol. I no longer follow Dr Bernstein's protocol but I have become probably more strict in terms of certain things rather than less strict. It all depends on your priorities and your circumstances.
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Nuts are included in many LC and paleo diets that count net carbs. Dr. Westman's protocol used in his 20 years of clinical research and for the type pf patient that comes to his clinics, only counts Total Carbs and does not allow any nuts for the above reasons. For patients with obesity, T2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. this is what worked in Dr. Atkins clinic and what Dr. Westman then made part of his research.

Oh, okay. I just learned something new. Thanks.
  #126   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 12:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have bought both of these products:

http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?ma...&products_id=98

http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?ma...products_id=100

I like to add them to my bone broth.

Nice Jean! Thanks for posting this!!!
  #127   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 07:36

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I avoid snacking on my nuts & seeds and only eat them after I measure out an ounce to add to my morning kefir.
I really should have prefaced my post with the fact that I'm on maintenance - varying my carbs to keep my weight / waist size steady as she goes. So my comments are not meant to steer someone astray - someone who needs to stay at 20g a day.

#128   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-19, 17:55

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

I signed up with the HEALClinic the other day. Waiting for the information. Not diabetic, just obese... 😜
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg
I signed up with the HEALClinic the other day. Waiting for the information. Not diabetic, just obese... 😜
Great! Did you get the new short "page 4" https://healclinics.com/dr-westman-page-4/ The long version from Heal will be very similar to the link in post #113...that is what I used 8 years ago.
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 06:58

Plan: keto
Stats: 211/177.5/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:

I'm a HealCare patient and am off two medications thanks to Dr. Westman's plan. I have lost 33 pounds and would like to lose another 25-30.
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeka
I'm a HealCare patient and am off two medications thanks to Dr. Westman's plan. I have lost 33 pounds and would like to lose another 25-30.

Wonderful!! Especially about being off two medications. I didn't know there were more stealth patients on this forum.
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 08:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:

Good for you to take your health care in hand. My heads up from reading DANDR by Dr Atkins is that obesity is the heads up that insulin and sugars are out of wack---the next step is outright diabetes. Funny how all the doctors didnt know what I was talking about so many years ago. Thanks to Dr Atikins, and now we have so many supporters, I hope I can continue to avoid Diabetes and have my body deal more appropriately with insulin and blood glucose.

Hope that info arrives asap!!!
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-19, 13:35

I have my booklet and cookbook and an appt to talk to my partner tomorrow morning. I'm a daily weigher so that's going to be hard to stop doing that.

I did meal prep for lunches this past week and really like it. I do 50g of avocado, I make my own mayo and turn some of that into a VLC ranch dressing which I thin a bit with almond milk to make my dressing. I then have 3 oz of crockpot chicken thigh and then I make a small salad of spinach/lettuce mix, a bit of broccoli and cauliflower and had a few carrots I chopped up and put a few in there. I did add 2 grape sz tomatos and then yesterday just put a bit of cheese on top. I'll leave out the carrots going forward and maybe put in some cucumber.

Anyway, will do some meal prepping today. Do you all meal prep?
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-19, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeka

Sounds like you have the plan down. When did you start this WOE? Keep it up!
  #135   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 05:28

Quote:
I have my booklet and cookbook and an appt to talk to my partner tomorrow morning. I'm a daily weigher so that's going to be hard to stop doing that.

I did meal prep for lunches this past week and really like it. I do 50g of avocado, I make my own mayo and turn some of that into a VLC ranch dressing which I thin a bit with almond milk to make my dressing. I then have 3 oz of crockpot chicken thigh and then I make a small salad of spinach/lettuce mix, a bit of broccoli and cauliflower and had a few carrots I chopped up and put a few in there. I did add 2 grape sz tomatos and then yesterday just put a bit of cheese on top. I'll leave out the carrots going forward and maybe put in some cucumber.

Anyway, will do some meal prepping today. Do you all meal prep?

I did a lot of meal prep exactly like that when I was the only LC person in the family. Now it is only DH and myself, and he is happy with anything, including repeated meals. I do more 9 x 13" taco casseroles, chicken or meat pizza casseroles, crockpot roasts, etc. Bake once and have multiple meals, lunches, snacks. Put a handful of lettuce drizzled with oil on the plate with a square of leftover whatever...my new version of meal prep