Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Has anyone tried Tae Bo

I seen the Tae Bo commercial the other night and my husband is thinking about getting them i was just wondering if anyone else has tried them...they look kinda hard to me but if my hubby gets them i'm gonna give it my all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Thumbs up Good Workout

I happen to like the T.B. tapes. They are definitely challenging. Usually come with beginners, intermediate and advanced tapes. Make sure you do the instructional video first. Good Luck!
And get moving! mb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:41

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile Tao Bo In A Nutshell

Hi,

I bought "Crunch." It has two workouts on it, Kickology and Tae Boxing Jam. The Kickology tape shows you the basic steps of Tao Bo at a pace you can keep up with. I did it for awhile. I even bought boxing gloves. You feel the effects after the first day. I never got around to the second workout. It's a good exercise tape if you are committed. Every once and awhile I'll use it to release frustration.

DesertRose
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 23:45

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't bought the Tae Bo videos but I've been to Tae Bo classes at my gym. There is a lot of flexibility in the classes so they're suited for all fitness and coordination levels, and I've found them to be a fun and effective workout. The atmosphere in the classes is fantastic and I think the classes would be a lot more motivating than following the same routine on your video by yourself. I'm fortunate to attend a gym with a non-judgemental atmosphere where all body types are accepted; I recommend that you find a gym you are comfortable with and give the classes a try. If you're not happy with that idea and would prefer to use the tapes, buy a beginner's video and go for it!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 06:50

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

We have those tapes. I have not bothered to check them out, but my daughter has and was surprised at how easy it was to do a section. Like the others have said, there are different levels to them.

I have things here at home, bike, nordictrack and all kinds of tapes, right down to the breathing one. I"m one that must go out to do something I have now learned. Gets me motivated.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 12:16
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all i ordered the tapes about 45 minutes ago and i'm gonna give them a try
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 16:50

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default go for it

Tae Bo is a great workout, and Billy Blanks is a great motivator and trainer.

Unlike most exercise tape trainers, he actually tells you when to check your form to be sure that you are not hyperextending your knees and elbows when you kick and punch

(VERY important ... never "lock out" your knees when you kick, or your elbows when you punch ... that is, never extend them all the way out. Remember, when you are actually punching or kicking something/someone they will be there stopping your momentum ... when you are punching and kicking air, you kind of have to do it ALMOST all the way out, but not quite. Does that make sense?)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 21:17

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I am going to have to agree with Mags. I tried a tae-bo tape in college and I didn't really like it. However, I did a cardio-kickboxing class at a gym and liked it!! Not sure why.... I think I like having people kicking about too and not just me in a room! However, I know a lot of people who use the tapes and love them!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:53

Stats: 225/213/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

HI there....

Im going to put a damper on the tapes.... I would suggest attending classes at first, then proceed withthe tapes at home. It is really important that you know exactly how to do each move. Though they look simple enough, You can hurt yourself. And starting public classes, you'll learn if you are doing everything right, where at home, you just assume you are.
Take me for mine, and my neurosurgens words.. please. I started the Tae Bo tapes, and one wrong move, herniated my L4-5 Lumbar disc to the point where I ended up in emergency surgery. I am now past a second surgery because of it, and only just starting to walk through most of the day without a cane. After 6 months, I just only got my drivers license back. And im still not able to go back to work...
Please be careful.
Lori
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 18:46
Registered Member

BF:

Lainbc,...thank you for the warning,...i think i'll go tomorrow and look into taking some classes first...thank you very very much
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 15:22

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts
Stats: 175/165/130-135
BF:
Progress:
Default Tae Bo

I have tried Tae Bo. It is slightly intensive for those who are inactive, but if you are in pretty good shape, it isn't too bad. I like that it keeps you moving. It includes a warm-up and a cool down. I don't get extremely sore from it which I like, but I can still feel it working. I also take a diet supplemental pill called Hydroxycut, which speeds up my metabolism. I bought the pill at GNC and I love it!

Singinkal
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 16:27
Registered Member

Stats: 173/168/145
BF:
Progress: 18%

I've done Tae Bo and I'm not going to lie...I actually scream at Billy Blanks when I do them. It helps me release frustration at the fact that I hate working out, the bitterness I feel towards him for devising the good workout, and my general stress. When he says "one more, you can do it," some people find this motivational, I feel that he is teasing me. So I let him have it. But really, I think that they are good workouts and they help out when it's too cold outside or too snowy to drive to the gym. I second everyone who said to do the instructional tape first: it really is helpful, and it's important to pay attention to form. Have fun, and work hard!!!
Susan
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:02

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default hi

I bought the tapes a few months ago and have not been religious about using them a few times a week. The few times I have used them I enjoyed them. My daughter and her friends do it at least 5 days a week and they love it.
I am working myself up to doing it more !

Good luck

Kassy
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 15:03

Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%

I must say that, while I realize everyone is different and is motivated by different things. As for me, tae-bo is the thing that works. I do not have the self esteem or the income to join a gym, but I have tried pretty much every exercise video out there. I don't mind working out in my home, where no one can see me. Anyway, the tae-bo tapes are what did it for me the last time I lost weight. Billy Blanks is a great motivator for me and I just really enjoyed the workout. Yes, it is intense, but the results made it worth it for me. I actually had firm legs, for crying out loud. Anyway, I promised myself after my last baby, I would start doing the tapes again, as soon as he started sleeping through the night. So I am starting them again now. Good luck to all and keep it up!
Tama