Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-11, 19:04

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Okay, I am such a noob at all of this shake business, so bear with me here.

I made the effort to read through all of the comments, so here is my number one question:

Aside from convenience, what is the rationale between adding a raw egg to a shake and choking/chugging it down opposed to cooking some scrambled eggs and having the shake (minus egg) along with it? For whole eggs, there's a chance of salmonella contamination. For egg whites in the carton, there isn't. But regardless of that, having a slimy raw egg in your drink just sounds downright gross.

I used to drink whey protein shakes that also had dried egg whites and they were pretty disgusting as it is. So unless you get reeeally used to chugging those things 3 times a day, it seems like it would be hard to stay compliant.

It is interesting though, reading the alternative strategies people are using to lose weight when they plateau or see weight loss slowing down. Props to all of you who can handle the taste/texture of those shakes! :-)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-11, 19:08
fabulously me

Plan: just lowest carbs poss
Stats: 242/242/130 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 0%

when egg is beaten it doesnt taste that bad. i quite like a little taste of it and i like my scrambled eggs a bit on the uncooked side. so mixed with shakes they prob taste quite good. im going to be adding raw egg to my shakes when i start them

ETA: i dont think it really matters about whether its raw or cooked its probably just convenience. i was asking about shakes earlier and said id be putting a raw egg in just to up my fat and protein.

i find cooking eggs a bit of a ballache as i only really like scrambled
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-11, 19:03

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
But regardless of that, having a slimy raw egg in your drink just sounds downright gross.

I decided to try one today because I have a difficult time feeling like having meat at lunch... The shake tasted good and it wasn't slimy or weird at all. Ya just gotta try one. It also helped a LOT to mix it in the blender, I have tried protein powder before and thought it was gross and lumpy, too...

Mine was a warm egg cream:
SF chocolate whey powder (I had a packet of it)
cup of Stash double spice chai tea
1 ice cube to cool the tea a little :-)
1 TBSP coconut oil < melted
1 TBSP coconut milk < also melted
1 TBSP ground flax
1 farm fresh egg, straight from my chicken's butt
a bit of erythritol + a drop or two of sucralose

It was really good. I am going to buy some protein powder. One of these with a salad is a really nice lunch for me, high in fat and protein without being overkill on calories. Also very easy to prepare.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 08:48

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I'm glad I saw your post. I have come back for support because I had lost around 25 pounds and then got off track due to starting a job and not managing it well. I think I'll get this book and see if I can work that plan for a jump start back on to the dependable WOE that helps me so much.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 08:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 176/173/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

Great post!
I'm going to give this a try. I'm having a really hard time keeping off a 2 pound loss. Back and forth for the past 5 weeks. Can't seem to get the scale to stick.
I love shakes and I'll use egg whites instead, not a problem for me. Can mix in my flax meal too.
This middle age spread has got to go sometime, I'm never giving up!!
I've increased my walking to almost 3 miles now. Just waiting for warmer days to do it on a regular basis.
I'll keep you posted as to results!!
Something's gotta give one of these days, right?
Carol
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 18:19

Carol, do you not like the yolks? They're the most nourishing, filling and satisfying part of the egg.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 18:29

Quoting Fowlfiend"One of these with a salad is a really nice lunch for me, high in fat and protein without being overkill on calories."
I am waiting on my copy of the book. I am reading the thread in its absence. I am wondering whether the good docs figure this is one way to get those of us who are used to depending on the metabolic advantage to ease back in to calorie counting in deference to our age. The ability to lose without worrying about calories has been one of the big draws for LC in my book. I have read what he's written about calories and age, and it makes me sad. I don't really understand why our age changes the science on calories. I hope the book will address this.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 09:29

BF:
Progress:

Good Morning,
I re-read all the post on the Creams again. Good to refresh my mind.

Forgot that you are only suppose to do the shakes for 2 weeks, then go on the 'mostly meat' for a week. I don't have that much weight to lose, but it's all around my middle.

Been on this for two days with 2 shakes and have lost 2.2 pounds! That's impressive for me. My weight loves me and hates to let go.

I haven't felt I needed 3 shakes, but if I do, now I know I can have a third one if I get a sweet tooth in the afternoon.

Ann- I like the yokes. I have been putting in egg whites, but I read that the one whole egg a day gives back some good fats to the body, so will do that today. Just one per day. I'm not getting as much fat doing this. Guess I could add a tsp of some good oil instead.

Yes, sadly it's true, as we age we get less and less calories to eat. Grrr! I'm trying to up the exercise and get in more walking. Weather hasn't been good to me lately though. I just can't enjoy walking when it's cold or windy.
Going to the YMCA and do some water exercises today for an hour.

So far, I haven't been hungry a bit. I do add 2 TB of Flax Meal to my glass after I mix my shake. (don't enjoy cleaning the blender with the flax) I've been adding in 5 frozen strawberries (nuked for 35 sec) to mine and with adding the flax it's a delicious tall thick shake.

Wondering if any one uses a Magic Bullet to mix their shakes? Thinking of getting one to make it easier, but also be able to take it on our road trips so I could mix a shake in the motel room. Been doing a little research on it.

Will keep you posted as to more results.

Everyone have a warm day!! Not expected to get warm here, gust up to 50mph. Soon, we will have warm days and I can plant my flowers I bought a week ago when we had a 70 degrees day. Sadly, it only lasted the one day.

Carol
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 10:26

BF:
Progress:

Good Morning,
Lost 1/2 pound more. The scale is slowly going in the direction I want it to. Yeah!
I guess having 2 shakes a day and one meal is cutting my calories and also the fat. It's hard to think I have to cut the fat. Being on low carb I never gave it a thought when I was younger. I guess now I have to be aware of fat and calories.
Feel great with the two shakes and not usually hungry. But I do look forward to my regular lc meal at night.
The other day I had lunch out, so I had a milk shake for dinner.
Everyone have a nice Sunday!
Carol
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 09:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/185/165 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellzy
Congrats on losing 3 lbs! But my problem is this. Presumably, you aren't going to eat three shakes and one meal per day forever, right? So, what happens when you start eating real food again? It just sounds faddish to me. It's extremely important to change your lifestyle and learn new habits. it's hard work and the REAL challenge to weight loss. That's why it's usually referred to as a WOL/WOE. Just my 2 cents!

this is just to get your liver to release the stored fat and begin operating efficiently. its really only two weeks as a cleansing so I gathered from the book.

then you basically get back to eating your healthy low carb way previously just more efficiently.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 09:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/185/165 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
Okay, I am such a noob at all of this shake business, so bear with me here.

I made the effort to read through all of the comments, so here is my number one question:

Aside from convenience, what is the rationale between adding a raw egg to a shake and choking/chugging it down opposed to cooking some scrambled eggs and having the shake (minus egg) along with it? For whole eggs, there's a chance of salmonella contamination. For egg whites in the carton, there isn't. But regardless of that, having a slimy raw egg in your drink just sounds downright gross.

I use a blender and dont taste the eggs at all. I remember making these prior to trying this out with a couple of eggs at a time and they just blend right up.

the reason you cant cook them is because the ideal protein is a raw egg WITH the yolk of course.

I believe in the book it says when you cook an egg it oxidizes the healthy cholesterol (within the yolk) which then attaches more readily as plaque within your arteries. You can lightly cook them without breaking the yolk is an alternative method. like a sunny side up i believe but it wasnt really recommended.

edit: does dr eades have a podcast?

Last edited by troy_4 : Wed, Apr-06-11 at 11:25.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 09:02

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 210/173.8/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm going to try it -- just ordered the book

But I'm not going to quit coffee. All the studies I have read show that coffee is beneficial to fatty livers, decreases fibrosis in liver disease when consumed at 2.25 cups a day and actually helps detox the liver (coffee enemas anyone?). Plus I have lost fine with coffee when doing the hhcg. So, I'll be the caffeinated guinea pig. I might even do the hhcg with it too.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-11, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Ok, BUMP! And still no one has explained why eating a liquid diet is preferred over a solid one, if carbs/protein/fat ratios are the same?
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-11, 12:49

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Ok, BUMP! And still no one has explained why eating a liquid diet is preferred over a solid one, if carbs/protein/fat ratios are the same?

For me, the liquid causes me to feel fuller longer and shrinks my stomach more rapidly. Don't know about everyone else, but I just couldn't leave you hangin'!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-11, 18:14

BF:
Progress:

Hello, New to the Cure and love it!! First "diet" that I've lost on. I was doing the High Protein, but scale wouldn't budge.

I was on it Thursday-Tuesday morning, and lost 6 pounds. Then took off for a 3 day trip, we had planned. Couldn't do the milkshakes, but I thought I'd stick to mostly meat and a few veggies. I fugured that was my best choice.... kinda like weeks 3 & 4. Did super!! Had eggs and sausage every morning...no starches at all and decaf coffee. Pretty much meat for dinner, just happened that our choices didn't serve veggies, or very little of what I could have, so I just skipped them and ate more meat. Didn't have lunch for two days. Not the best choice, but I felt fine, so we ate early each evening. Will get back to the plan tomorrow. Hope to lose a few more pounds this next week.
Carol