Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-01, 22:30

Plan:
Stats: 185/157/130
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation

I'm in desparate need of ideas for interesting low-carb lunches for my kids. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-01, 11:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi, welcome aboard

Glad you found us! Lowcarbing has lots of potential for fast, nutritious meals and snacks, once we get past the notion of bread and sandwiches.

Karen Barnaby, our resident master Chef, has posted some delicious and quick menu ideas in our Tips column. At the top of this page, click on Tips in the red menu bar. Look for "Jazz up your Induction" by Karen. Or, to open a new window, click here http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips001.html. Karen's latest recipe for soup is delicious and fast(I just made it the other day). Have a looky in her column http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen.html for this and more ideas ...

Try making a batch of lowcarb Revolution Rolls, from our Recipe column, again at the top of this page or http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.html if you're hankering for sandwich or hamburger type buns. This recipe makes a half dozen rolls, that are a little less soggy and don't fall apart quite as readily as Atkins original rolls. While you're in the recipe section, check out some of the other ideas, there's lots of other recipes for breads and muffins that kids would enjoy. Wa'il's "Shepherd's Loaf" only SOUNDS complicated; it's not really, and makes a very delicious whole grain lowcarb bread that slices easily and makes great toast.

On the subject of lunch and deli meats, here is a case of quality really makes a difference. Most of the less expensive, economy family-style lunch meats, weiners etc are full of dextrose, cornsyrup solids, starch and cereal fillers. The average national-branded weiner only has 10 or fewer grams of protein, the rest being fat, salt and filler. Although more costly, a slice of lean black forest ham or roast turkey breast might be a better choice.

Enjoy, and happy lowcarbing

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-01, 18:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Ideas

I got these off another egroup..(I just copied and pasted them). I'm not sure about some of them, some aren't really for kids, but maybe you can get some ideas from them.

1. HARD BOILED EGGS
2. DEVILED EGGS
3. EGG SALAD HEAPED ON WASA CRACKERS
4. TUNA SALAD HEAPED ON WASA CRACKERS
5. EGG OR TUNA OR CHICKEN SALAD WRAPPED UP IN BUTTER LETTUCE LEAVES
6. BLT ROLLED UP INSIDE A SLICE OF TURKEY BREAST
7. MEATBALLS (COLD)
8. COLD ROAST CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS OR WINGS
9. SLICED ROAST BEEF WRAPPED AROUND STRING CHEESE STICKS
10. BEEF JERKY, SLIM JIMS, OTHER CURED DRIED MEAT PRODUCTS (I MAKE MY OWN JERKY!)
11. SUGAR FREE JELLO (BUY IN 6-PACKS IN THE DAIRY SECTION OR MAKE YOURSELF)
12. CHEESE, CUT IN CUBES
13. CELERY STICKS, BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER FLORETS, WITH DIP
14. SUGAR-FREE GUMMI WORMS
15. WASA CRACKERS SPREAD WITH SOFT CHEESES
16. WASA CRACKER SPREAD WITH CHEESE AND TOPPED WITH PEPPERONI SLICES (MAKE
YOUR OWN PIZZA LUNCHABLES!)
17. PEPPERONI SPREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE AND ROLLED UP
18.DITTO TURKEY OR ROAST BEEF SLICES
19. CHEF'S SALAD
20. LEFTOVERS IN ANY FORM! (COLD RIBS ARE GREAT THE NEXT DAY!)
21. LC SOUP IN A THERMOS
22. SUGAR-FREE LC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
23. CHEESE STRAWS/CHEESE CRACKERS (RECIPE TO FOLLOW)
24. LOW-CARB MUFFINS
25. QUICHE SQUARES (DELICIOUS COLD)
26. SALAD STREWN WITH LEFTOVER MEAT FROM LAST NIGHT'S DINNER, TOP WITH RANCH
OR BLEU CHEESE DRESSING.
27. PORK RINDS, TRY THE BBQ OR HOT FLAVOR!
28. PLAIN PORK RINDS WITH PIMENTO CHEESE
29. SUNFLOWER SEEDS, ALSO TRY THE SALSA FLAVOR.
30. LC DONUTS
Di's Brown Bag Suggestions

1) Always have bottled water. Sipping on it is great for keeping the sleepies away.
2) I portion out nuts in 1/4-cup servings in those snack-size Zip Lock bags and always have a few bags in the car.
3) Ham crisps or pepperoni crisps. I nuke smoked ham (gotta be smoked - boiled doesn't work) or pepperoni slices in paper towels in the microwave until they're crisp and put them in a zip lock bag.
4) I also nuke a whole pound of bacon at a time and package it in aluminum foil, 4 strips to the package. Easy to grab, and since I sort of like it cold, too, easy to eat in the car.
5) Protein bars. Not the best choice, but I always have a couple in the glove compartment for emergencies. You can also bring your own home made ones.
6) Deviled eggs. I put them in those new Glad plastic containers. If you smoosh the two halves back together after you've filled them with the yolk
mixture, they travel pretty well.
7) Jerky, store bought or homemade. I like homemade better because I can control the amount of salt. All the commercial brands are too salty for me.
8) Baked chicken legs (for the car) or thighs (for the car or work) or broiled, boneless chicken breasts.
9) Plain hard-boiled eggs.
10) Premade tuna with mayo and a plastic fork or spoon or some WASA crackers to pile it on.
11) Lettuce wraps. Take some nice big lettuce leaves, spread them lightly with mayo, put some sliced deli meat on top, and roll them up. Voila! Lettucewiches!
12) Slices of leftover steak, meatloaf, pork roast, etc., in zip lock bags.
13) Low carb muffins.
14) Any low carb breakfast casserole baked in muffin cups or cut up into individual serving sizes and popped in a Zip Lock bag.
15) Slices of cheese.
16) Cooked and peeled shrimp sprinkled with a little lemon juice and salt.
17) Low carb cookies packed 3 or 4 to a Zip Lock bag.
18) Home made yogurt in a cup with a lid. Don't forget a plastic spoon!
19) Chipped beef spread, WASA crackers, and a plastic knife to spread it with. (Cream cheese, packed chipped beef like Buddig's, shredded,green onions,and a little Worcestershire sauce all mixed together.)
20) Cut up low carb veggies and your favorite dip. Put the dip in an old margarine tub.
21) Low carb cheesecake put in small plastic containers instead of made as a whole "pie."
22) Rumaki packaged 3-4 to a Zip Lock bag.
23) Some of Rani's low carb cheese straws in a Zip Lock bag.
24) Cheese crisps.
25) Sliced leftover quiche (only if you like it cold).
26) Celery stuffed with cream cheese or sugar free peanut butter.
27) Those pre-packaged sugar free Jell-O cups.
28) Chips Chips another low carb chip, pork rinds, psyllie snacks, Just The Cheese crisps and some dip.
29) Turkey (or other deli meat), chopped tomatoes, and cooked crumbled bacon rolled up on mayonnaise-smeared Romaine lettuce leaves.
30) Sugar free gum.
31) Deli ham, roast beef, or turkey rolled up with slices of cheese.
32) A salad in a plastic container. Put anything you like on it, but be sure to include meat! Bring a bottle of your favorite salad dressing.
33) Any LC soup in a thermos. LC chili and clam chowder always hit the spot for me.
34) Cucumber bull's eyes. Use an apple corer to hollow out a cucumber and fill it with your favorite cheese ball recipe. Wrap and refrigerate and then
slice. (It's easier of you slice the cucumber in half first so you don't have to dig so deeply.
35) Any cold LC appetizer.