Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-20, 13:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Tara Couture on Sustainable Ethical Farming

I was inspired by Brian Sanders' presentation at Low Carb Denver and particularly by the video he showed in his presentation on Tara Couture and what she and her family have built based on their food growing beliefs. This is a passionate description of how humans can maintain health and natural balance, and I can't think of a more compelling spokeswoman. This link does not require you to go through DietDoctor or pay for the Low Carb Denver 2020 presentations, so you should have access:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0a6j3sy8...20Clip.mp4?dl=0

"It's death on a plate, there's just no blood . . . "

Curious how others feel about her views . . .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-20, 18:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I was inspired by Brian Sanders' presentation at Low Carb Denver and particularly by the video he showed in his presentation on Tara Couture and what she and her family have built based on their food growing beliefs. This is a passionate description of how humans can maintain health and natural balance, and I can't think of a more compelling spokeswoman. This link does not require you to go through DietDoctor or pay for the Low Carb Denver 2020 presentations, so you should have access:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0a6j3sy8...20Clip.mp4?dl=0

"It's death on a plate, there's just no blood . . . "

Curious how others feel about her views . . .

Good video and very good explanations!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-20, 22:50

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

#4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 06:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h

Yes, this is the complete version, thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 07:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

For those with out large acreage, Start with chickens. Just a few. A mini version. A small garden provides for both a family and a few chickens.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 15:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
For those with out large acreage, Start with chickens. Just a few. A mini version. A small garden provides for both a family and a few chickens.

If you like recycling, they're perfect for your kitchen scraps.
Plus they become tame and you can name them.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 15:24

BF:

And kid friendly ! My kids would look for worms when gardening , then hold it high for Grass-girl to jump up for a snack. Not sure who had more fun!

Great food recyclers....in return, the girls deliver an egg !!

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Apr-21-20 at 21:35.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 19:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Considering that I come from a farming family, and what's going on these days, I'd love to have the option of backyard chickens. That's a no-go here though - violates local ordinances, unless you happen to actually live on property zoned for farming, absolutely no livestock permitted for any reason, and our property is zoned residential.

I could possibly have a small garden... kinda skittish about even trying that again though, since every time I plant any veggies at all, we end up with a terrible drought. You know how when you leave a 6" zucchini in the garden it'll grow to the size of a baseball bat overnight? The last time I had a garden, the drought was so bad that my zucchinis only grew to about 3" long, and about as big around as a kindergarten crayon. I was watering them every day, hoping I could get them to grow big enough to actually eat. We were under water use restrictions that year, so I was saving gallons and gallons of rinse water from the washing machine every day, and using that to water my garden. Didn't help at all - they actually shriveled, while I was trying to get them to grow.

With what's already going on in the world this year, I'm really kind of afraid to tempt fate again.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 20:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Perhaps I am the only anti-chicken person here, or not really anti-chicken but anti my neighbors who got chickens. I live in a residential neighborhood where the houses are close together. My next door neighbors, a rather casual young couple, decided to get chickens. What they didn't decide to do was fence in their yard and at first they didn't even build a chicken coop for their chickens. Their chicken roamed the whole neighborhood leaving their droppings everywhere. My dog found the chicken droppings impossible to resist. My dog got quite sick, bloody diarrhea, pretty awful. Luckily he recovered. Another neighbor who lived in my building also had a dog who couldn't resist the chicken droppings. His dog almost died, an emergency vet visit at 2AM and 2 overnights I believe. It cost more than $1000 when it was all over an done with. the vet said that the dog might very well have been sick from the chicken droppings but without having any to test it was impossible to know. I reported my neighbors to the zoning authority in the town. He said that he had warned them once before to comply with the ordinance that requires chicken be contained and not allowed to roam freely. The people had not complied so now he would impose a large fine if they did not comply with the ordinance and then the chickens would be removed. That did it. They found a new home for the chicken. I have left out of the story, I realize, that at some point before the dogs got sick the neighbors decided to build the chicken a coop for nighttime only because animals were slowly killing the free ranging chickens. One attack woke me up in the middle of the night. It was horrendous. So chickens may be a great idea but only if you take care of them properly. I suffer from a bit of PTSD whenever I see a chicken now.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 21:47

BF:

That was an unfortunate experience. Seems the folks didnt know much about chicken care. Chickens need a safe place to roost, a coop that has locking doors.

Interesting that the dogs got sick. Among all my chicken friends, Ive never heard of dogs getting sick......wonder what was the underlying cause.....

Many people here are disreguarding ordinances to proove hens are reasonable residental animals. Less noise than a dog and less barking, lol.

A couple years ago one of our ducks flew to a distant neighbor. Poor girl, she was lost and didnt know how to get home. DH saw her and brought her home. She seemed happy to see her feathered friends ! She never left again.

I had problems with a neighbors dog visiting far too much. Fenced in my yard to keep my dogs safe.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 23:33

BF:

Quote:
Interesting that the dogs got sick. Among all my chicken friends, Ive never heard of dogs getting sick......wonder what was the underlying cause.....

I wouldn't see that as a problem either and I've had a lot of animals in my day.
Our cow poop feeds coyote, racoon, skunks, fox, probably bobcat too.... At home the dog might snatch the cat poop etc..
There's a name for this and I can't remember but ran across it once while searching for something else once.

But anyway, back to the chickens, they're great if managed like any other animal. The kids did love them too.