Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 18:36

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Nearly 1 in 4 adults in the US will be severely obese by 2030

My hope is that the various medical experts will somehow get behind low-carbing and admit the grains are not a healthy food for humans.
Realistically, I don't foresee that happening. I expect even more emphasis being placed on lowering fat, reducing mead consumption and eating more whole grains and, of course, getting more vegetables.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...study-suggests/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 06:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

If we get up to 1 out of 4 who are low-carbing, that could really change things.

Sadly, I think so many have the Food Pyramid embedded in their brains so solidly they will die first. And they will
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 07:08

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm still seeing some experts pushing exercise as the way to stop weight gain. They seem to believe that if I eat 300 calories of candy then all I have to do is burn 300 calories with exercise and everything is good.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/...xercise-labels/
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 07:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I'm still seeing some experts pushing exercise as the way to stop weight gain. They seem to believe that if I eat 300 calories of candy then all I have to do is burn 300 calories with exercise and everything is good.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/...xercise-labels/

I haven't heard about the NOOM app from certain co-workers, I think the holidays are killing their enthusiasm. Expect to hear more after the New Year, of course.

With 1.5 hours of exercise a DAY, I stabilized with low fat eating at a size 12.

Keto, no exercise, size 8. Effortlessly. Now, to me, that's one compelling "testimony" which I have shared with everyone who asks.

And yet... crickets.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 10:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
My hope is that the various medical experts will somehow get behind low-carbing and admit the grains are not a healthy food for humans.
Realistically, I don't foresee that happening. I expect even more emphasis being placed on lowering fat, reducing mead consumption and eating more whole grains and, of course, getting more vegetables.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...study-suggests/

The following network interview from last year with an RD expert is exactly why people are confused about low carb or keto. Much misinformation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDuU9XpfW0

Not sure it will stop, and this expert, Samantha Heller, had an RD who works in management for WW (formerly Weight Watchers) on her Sirius XM radio show yesterday who proceeded to trash low carb and keto. Talk about conflict of interest?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 11:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr Atkins encouraged starting local lowcarb clubs to share the method.

Talked to a thin trim aunt last night, and I mean a very lean woman in good health and good mind, she balked at limiting fruits...everyone is well programmed. Takes a dire health scare to change.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 11:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dr Atkins encouraged starting local lowcarb clubs to share the method.

Talked to a thin trim aunt last night, and I mean a very lean woman in good health and good mind, she balked at limiting fruits...everyone is well programmed. Takes a dire health scare to change.

Well here's the thing, a lot of those lean & slim people are still on pills but they won't tell you. Pills like for high BS, BP, statins etc....
Or maybe they just have a different metabolism then we do. For us, sugar goes right to storage..... LOLOL
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 13:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Well here's the thing, a lot of those lean & slim people are still on pills but they won't tell you. Pills like for high BS, BP, statins etc....
Or maybe they just have a different metabolism then we do. For us, sugar goes right to storage..... LOLOL

Right!!!! Lean actually is not a sign of health, need to see the inside. Dr A pointed this out in his book.Helped me to understand eating right trumps obesity.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-19, 13:48

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I was watching a Woodstock (1969) retrospective and everyone was thinner than I had remembered.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 07:34

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

I was just reading about this report/prediction, makes me sick to my stomach! A few days ago when all the hoopla was going on about WW3/people freaking out about the draft being reenacted, the thing that kept going through my mind was that so many of our draft eligible citizens are so darn overweight/unhealthy now, we'd be sunk if we actually needed to start using this system again

We were at a friend's birthday party a few days ago and in a room full of adults mid-age up to late 60s, there were 3 of us who were not overweight. Me, who is low carb/carnivore, and then two of my friends who I know are into hard-core fitness, (their in-home gym is a thing of beauty, lol). Everyone else ranged from the slightly overweight to very overweight categories.

I did strike up a conversation with an older lady who I hadn't seen in years, and diet/weight came up after she complimented me, (she knew me back when I was around 60lbs heavier). That led to a long conversation that I know others were listening in on, where I shared some of my story and how I eat now, along with recent blood work I had done while eating an animal based diet. She was getting ready to start South Beach and was excited to get started, I really hope she can stick with it since she seemed really interested in a lower carb lifestyle!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1

Just coming off a year of doctor shopping, and in mid-life, just try not to be on half-a-dozen prescriptions. I have had doctors shocked I'm not on any, and immediately leap to their prescription pad like it's going to save my life.

Tomorrow getting a physical from the new doctor we settled on at last. It will also be the first appointment, accepted as new patient, etc. I have written up a one page summary of what's been going on Hope he can take it!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 07:51

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am 71 and I take no prescription medications. I consider that a major victory over the forces of evil. I do not know whether or not my doctor agrees with what I do but she doesn't openly disagree with me and I think that the fact that I have been so successful strengthens my position. Of course I don't see her very often, just often enough so that she doesn't forget who I am. When I do see her we have congenial conversations. She's there in case of emergency. Otherwise I handle my health on my own. Seems to be working.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 08:15

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

One of the things I have noticed is that men (and their wives) do not see themselves as obese or needing to lose weight no matter how large (or small) their beer belly is.

They say, "but his arms and legs are not fat!" Therefore, he is not fat.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 09:55

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
One of the things I have noticed is that men (and their wives) do not see themselves as obese or needing to lose weight no matter how large (or small) their beer belly is.

They say, "but his arms and legs are not fat!" Therefore, he is not fat.

OMG, coming from a guy that does not drink and never has lol, I so agree. I see so many people with big beer guts and tiny arms and legs like a crazy human T-Rex

I have inlaws that their life seems to be around getting together and just having beer at gathering. I just laugh.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 09:59

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Just coming off a year of doctor shopping, and in mid-life, just try not to be on half-a-dozen prescriptions. I have had doctors shocked I'm not on any, and immediately leap to their prescription pad like it's going to save my life.

Tomorrow getting a physical from the new doctor we settled on at last. It will also be the first appointment, accepted as new patient, etc. I have written up a one page summary of what's been going on Hope he can take it!

Were, this is great. My main doctors are my heart transplant doctors I see. I lost 66 pounds on LC a few years ago and they saw me and was like what did you do? I told them and the head of the cardiac was there and of the program. All they said was keep doing what you do . this coming from the number one transplant center.

You should have seen their faces. they also do a TON of blood testing on my big check up and all the test were great for doing LCHF and fasting. I have my 1 year coming up again soon and should be down a good amount. they will be surprised again.