Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:21

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 145/137/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 23%

You might want to try a refeed instead...to get your metabolism running again. Now that you are closer to your goal weight it might really help.
I did one last weekend...2 days...I gained 5 lbs of water during it, but lost all the weight after 2 days, and now I've started to lose more weight (yay!) down another 2 lbs

Good luck
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:31

Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

what is a refeed? can i do it right after a fat fast? I read a bit about it and it seems to be a binge of some sort...i'm all for that but I'm worried about getting back to LCing after a huge carb laden feeding....please tell me what you did and how it worked..
Thanks

Last edited by sybs : Thu, Mar-11-04 at 14:32.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:38
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm not passing judgement on anyone or anything, but IMHO messing with the fat fast and a refeed would REALLY whack out your insulin response. I thought low-carbing was about healing your system, not trying to shock it into submission?
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:55

BF:

Well I hear ya. I'm just getting freaked out cause I'm not losing as fast as I think I should. I'm going to do a refeeding...I think I'll start today then start on semi-KISS on Monday. Thanks for all the help.
It was nice to see deep purple, but I don;t want to become a fanatic...and I do believe that I have in some ways. I just need to refuel and start over again with all cravings squelched!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atikins
Stats: 240/226/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

whats a fat fast?
CNM
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:55

BF:

The Fat Fast
Counterintuitive as it may sound, if you can't budge the scale on Induction, a few days on this regimen may well allow you to break through metabolic resistance.

Certain individuals are so metabolically resistant that only more intense dietary restrictions prove successful. Once medications, thyroid problems and candida are brought under control, almost all overweight people who diligently adhere to the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ will lose and keep off weight. But for the small group of people for whom it does not work, more extreme measures are necessary.

To help these metabolically resistant people, Dr. Atkins has modified what he calls "the most effective weight-loss eating pattern ever described." British researchers Alan Kekwick and Gaston Pawan developed it, and Frederick Benoit and his team confirmed its superiority in burning off fat, compared to an absolute total fast. This extreme diet consists of 1,000 calories daily, comprised of 90 percent fat. No other weight-loss regimen has matched its ability to burn off stored fat. Dr. Atkins modified the Kekwick diet to make it as enjoyable as possible and dubbed it the "Fat Fast." He tried it on scores of patients and found it often worked for those who were unable to lose weight in any other safe, drug-free way.

The Kekwick diet forces the body into lipolysis so it burns its stores of fat. Lipolysis cannot take place if there is a significant source of glucose. Since all carbohydrates and some protein convert to energy by way of glucose, eliminating almost everything but fat from the diet forces even the most resistant body into lipolysis. That explains the 90 percent dietary-fat component. Lowering the caloric intake accelerates the need to burn up body fat—thus the 1,000-calorie limit.

The Fat Fast is one controlled carb program where you do have to count calories. You'll eat 1,000 calories a day, with 75 percent to 90 percent comprised of fat. Frequent feedings prevent hunger better than three meals a day, so you consume five feedings, perhaps one every four hours, comprising 200 calories each. Because of the high fat content and frequent feedings, very few people experience much hunger. The stumbling block for some people is the absence of conventional meals. But most are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.

Caution: The Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen.

Step One: Eat Mostly Fat
Begin with five 200-calorie feedings per day and follow for four or five days. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:

one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup
two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content)
two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

Step Two: Modify the Fat Fast
If increasing the fat-to-carbohydrate ratio and cutting calories work, any dietary change in that direction might get the job done. Next, you can try four meals a day of roughly 300 calories for a total of 1,200 calories. That should work, too, and what it allows is definitely more appealing to the taste buds:

two ounces of beef chuck (do not drain fat) cooked in two tablespoons of olive oil
two scrambled eggs with two strips of nitrate-free bacon
two tablespoons of full-fat sour cream with a tablespoon of sugar-free syrup
one-quarter cup chicken or tuna salad made with two tablespoons of mayonnaise
three ounces of pâté (check label for fat content)
one-and-a-half ounces of macadamia nuts

Step Three: Return to Induction
Try the 1,200-calorie regimen for a week, then go back to Induction. Or simply follow the concept of increasing the ratio of fat to protein. No one should have to feel that losing weight is hopeless. Sometimes the key to achieving your goal weight permanently is quite difficult to adhere to, but rarely is it simply impossible.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
if you can't budge the scale on Induction

Having lost 43%, (or even 15% chubnomore) is a far cry from the scale not budging. On anyweight loss plan there will be slow times and times there is no loss. Many of those times your body is doing other things such as repair. There is also a great thread on how we lose weight. When the fat empties out of the cell, water moves in ot take it's place as a marker. When the body is convinced the cells aren't needed, it flushes them out. Many people will get a woosh at this time, losing weight all at once, while before not losing a bit.

Also have you been measuring to see if you are losing fat, not pounds? www.mybodycomp.com can help with that.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 13:03

BF:

Yes, I've been checking everything I can think of...measurements, ketosis strips, weight, body fat percentage and everything seemed to stop all together. SO I'm tryin a few diff things to seeif any of them jump start me. I'm going to 'refeed' this weekend and then just start all over. The best thing is that I feel in control of what I'm doing...I'm not falling off the bandwagon, I'm just going to walk beside it a while
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 07:29

BF:

ok..did the refeed and I truly hope I lose all this weight quickly! I gained 7 pounds!!!!! I'll weigh in next Sunday and report back!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231/170.5/140 Female 64
BF:Scared to know ?
Progress: 66%

Hi there sybs.. I am in Frisco - nice to see a fellow texan. I recently had a week where my weight wasn't moving - but it didn't bother me since I am doing really well. However, by chance, I happened to make a cheesecake that week because I wanted something sweet. I ate a small piece every day and low and behold I lost weight. When I looked back, I realized that my fat content wasn't high enough and that the cheesecake did the trick.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 09:16

BF:

Hey Tweety! Well I'm recovering now and I know that I will be able to get back on track with out any problems. The last 2 days have been great and I plan to start working out again tonite...I have VB. I've also decided to pack away the scale for a bit. That's what is really killin me. I gain weight VERY easyily so to constantly be watching the scale can be very detrimental to my efforts. SO my new goal is a size 12...and I'll join you in your goals. SO by 4/11 I want to be a sz12!
Good luck and see you at the finish line~
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 10:12
Registered Member

Stats: 266/266/200 Male 5"8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default i am starting 2day

Wishing everyone on the forum a great day. I know most persons have strong opinions about the Fat fast one way or the other. I have decided to try the Fast as I have been struggling wid success on Atkins and have not been able to go below 200kg despite doing induction several times. I have tried a bunch of other things and i always seem to stall when i get close to 200kgs. I m 5"9" by the way. I just feel as if i am metabolically resistant and need something in the way of a push to get me moving. I really would like comments and suggestions as to how do the fat fast effectively. I know this might sound like a dumb question but i will ask it anways approximately how many macadamia nuts would total an ounce. I am using the MAUNA LOA Dry Roasted Macadamias if that will assist in answering the question. Should i be taking any supplements currently i take centrum, Chromium picolinate 200mcg , Cod Liver Oil and Atkins Basic #1. I am wondering if i should add L-Carnitine to the mix.

Thanks

#28   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 13:54

Stats: 226/187/160 Male 5'9"
BF:More/ than I /like
Progress: 59%

Caution on the angelfire website - my browser (Opera 7.54) reports that it "Uses cookies in an exploitive manner" - they reccomend that one be cautious about trusting the site because of this.

I have Opera set to report attempts to give me cookies (and refuse most of them, as I don't want the virtual carbs ) and it also tells me about technical errors like a cookie with a different return path than the setting server, however this is the FIRST time that I got this error message, and it would make me feel really paranoid if I was running something as readily exploitable as Microsoft virus ware - of course MSFT would just let you be exploited w/o warning you...

I'm not saying that whoever runs that site is a blackhat, the problem may be a technical glitch, or it may be a problem with his webhost, but I would reccomend extreme caution, and go to the site only with maximum shields up.

Gooserider