Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 09:47
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Grr, argh -- post-goal complications: could it be the winter? Help!

So, all of a sudden, in the last ten days, my weight has gone haywire. I've put on four pounds, a tremendously quick and inexplicable gain (I'm now 149 -- I'd promised myself I'd change my stats tomorrow but I'm taking a deep breath and doing it now *weeps*). Thought it was water weight, but it never came off. DOH!

I'm a faithful Fitday PC user, so I know that my carb levels have remained exactly the same as they were in December and early January (my meal plans are pretty predictable). My calories do seem to have gone up just a little -- about 100 calories more a day, mostly in fats (mayo, sour cream). But how could that add up to four extra pounds?!?

As for why my calories have gone up -- for some reason, I've been feeling increased hunger. Actually, I think it's related to my general winter blues, fatigue and melancholy -- we haven't seen the sun in two and a half weeks here!!

Anyway, I've gone back to Induction-level carbs and am supplementing with cod liver oil. Also, as always, am working out three times a week. I guess I'm just looking for -- sympathy? commiseration? encouragement? your own tales of heroically vanquishing post-goal gain? I've got to say, it's so discouraging to get down to, and hold, your goal weight and then suddenly see it start going up for no apparent reason! Has this happened to anyone? I'm so anxious -- if you went above your goal, did you manage to get back down, and how?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 110/89/100 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 210%

I don't know what is really going on, but it sounds pretty unfair. Sorry. It might just be the point that total calories do matter, which stinks. I think going back to induction is a good idea to see it if the weight comes off. I would keep your extra fat in at first, if the weight still doesn't come off then keep the carbs at induction level and also start dropping calories too.

Personally, I think our bodies are less tolerant of carbs as our total calories go up. Good luck... I am sure you will get to the bottom of this.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 11:27
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't worry about it. It's winter. I go through this every year.

Take L-glutamine and vitamin D along with calcium and magnesium and hold on until spring when things will return to normal.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 15:35

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm going through the same thing - a sudden weight gain around Xmas - which is explainable - which won't come off - a little harder to explain.

I've reduced carbs, reduced calories, and upped exercise, which has resulted in maybe a 1-2 pound loss since Dec 27. Having said that, I usually do gain a few pounds in the winter refuse to budge until spring. I don't know whether it's "winter blahs" or if it's just easier to exercise when the weather is better.

You obviously don't live in my part of the world - 2 1/2 weeks without sunshine? That ain't nothin'. Some years, we go months ... and it is DREARY. Very depressing. I'm sure it slows people's metabolisms.

Hang in there!

Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 06:02

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

I know it seems impossible, but it just seems to happen at times for no good reason. I gained a lot back in the fall...still not sure why. I'd started school and was getting closer to having a surgery, but according to Fitday, my eating hadn't really changed. Who knows? Maybe stress?

The important thing to do it DON'T QUIT! So many people just drop out when something this discouraging an inexplicable occurs and then they never seem to get back on track afterward. Hang in here with us and don't give up!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%

I think it has to do with the time of year and directly related to lack of sun. I tend to get lethargic and as a result I get less exercise. I recently noticed I was doing a lot more couch potatoing so whenever the sun shows it's face, I bundle up and go outside and sit in a chair facing the sun for 15 minutes. I feel like the energizer bunny getting recharged...but it has really helped.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 15:31
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Thanks for all the responses. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this. And I'm definitely not giving up! I may have gained some weight but I still feel more energetic than I used to, and my cravings, while they have suddenly resurfaced, are much more manageable -- and are for LC-friendly foods.

Zuleikaa, I'll definitely try that supplementation regimen!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 10:59
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Just a quick update -- I'm now back at goal, after steadily climbing, then a week and a half of holding steady at 149-150. I have no idea what to make of this! But, dropping the carbs to 30-40g took care of it. Hmm.

Thanks for all your suggestions, ladies -- I was beginning to panic. And I plan on staying at this carb level for a few weeks, just to make sure my body is content to stay at 145.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 17:19

BF:

Good to hear, Aeryn, wish I could say the same! I've allowed carbs to creep up from Induction levels, and am reducing them again as or this morning. Not sure it'll help, though.

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 19:29
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, Rachel! It really sucked to have to omit my daily apple. I'm only now contemplating trying to build up to it again.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 19:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, Rachel! It really sucked to have to omit my daily apple. I'm only now contemplating trying to build up to it again.

Why don't you start with 1/2 an apple with peanut butter on it. Thats what we do on SB. The peanut butter helps slow its digestion....and its really good!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 00:50

BF:

We've been having some unseasonably bright weather, so I've been able to get out for walks lunchtimes on a pretty regular basis. Boy, does that help with the winter blues - it's so wonderful to have a break from the everlasting drizzle and overcast that is fall, winter, and spring in Vancouver!

I've also started intermittent fasting, and I'm pretty excited about it. I've been doing the Fast Five plan, which basically involves consuming only calorie-free beverages except between the hours of 5:00 and 10:00 pm. I've been on the plan for just over a week, and guess what - I'm down over three pounds!

It's really quite astonishing. I'm averaging about 1200 calories a day, spread over five hours (a big meal and a couple of snacks). When I've limited to 1200 calories in the past, even eating low carb, I'm hungry day and night (sometimes I don't sleep well), and lose maybe a pound a week, if that. On IF, I'm full of food from 5:00 pm until the following morning. The first few days I was pretty hungry in the afternoons, but as time goes by I'm feeling more and more comfortable with it. And the payoff is not only faster weightloss, but a general sense of wellbeing, good energy, and .... more time!

Now, I've always been a confirmed foodaholic, but I have to say, I LIKE this plan. It's a bit counterintuitive, but the tradeoff for missing breakfast and lunch, which I always considered pretty boring meals, is that I get to eat pretty well whatever I want to, till I'm happily full, in the evenings.

I'm not sure I'll stick with IF in the long term, but it's sure nice to have yet another tool in my low carb arsenal.

Rachel
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 08:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thanks for sharing that, Rachel....and way to go on getting off that stall!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 19:15
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Yay! Great to hear the good news, Rachel! Keep us posted on how this plan continues to work for you... I'm intrigued!