Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 23:08
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 330/330/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Argh... starting tomorrow and I'm confused

I've been on TSP for a little over a month and found I started cheating a little because I wanted the sweet things (carbs) when I was directed to CAD.

I read it today and I thought. Well... I can do this!

But after reading the posts on here I'm not sure I understand this fully. The Complementary Meals are like they've listed. LC veggies, protein and a scant amount (if any) carbs.

But, on the Reward Meal everything I've read on here is not like they say in the book. Everyone keeps talking about limiting this, or not having that.

I quote from their book:

'You may eat what you desire, in whatever quantity you wish. But only within one hour.'

???????

Did I miss something along the way? I know they said to eat balanced and nutritious along with salad. But from the sounds of everyone on here it seems like what they Heller's are saying is a big, fat lie.

Someone, anyone, if you could direct me to what's the deal I would really appreciate it. Because as far as I'm concerned I plan to take the Heller's literally at their word on this.

Thanks,

Bry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 00:11
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hmmmmm....

Just another add on here.

I've skimmed through the CALP book and I understand the 1/3 of this and 1/3 of that on the Reward Meal. But I still wouldn't cut out what I wanted regardless. It'll just take more planning than on the CAD book.

However, I have another question. Yeah, another one.

They talk about craving-reduction meals and snacks. But they don't go through plans A-D and how often snacks are. Did I miss something there? The CAD book seemed to be more explanitory.

Sigh... I'm getting a headache.

Bry
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins, then BFL, now Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 144/111/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 103%

I'm sorry I don'thave an answer for you. But it's only because I wondered the same things. I hope someone answers.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:52

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

Bry, I'm with you I want to know all about the portion things. I have heard both ways also. So what really works. Good luck joan
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 160/150/145
BF:

brycielan:

I had the same questions. First I read the CAD book and also talked to a friend here in TX who lost 50 pounds (in about 6 months). Also I asked the same question when I entered this forum and got different answers.

One person replied, and I cuote " as long as you eat your CM meals as directed by the book, do not snack in between meal, unless you are on a plan that calls for a snak, you could eat any carb you want for dinner as long as you do it in a period of 1 hour"

Another person replied that I had to include salad in my RM. If you look at the book during the induction period, I think, plan A there is no mention of salad.

The book very specifically instruct us to have a balanced meal. In other words you reward meal should not consist of "candy bars, coke, ice cream, etc. but to use this time to make posible to eat those carbs you enjoy more.

My friend, the one who lost 50 pounds, told me he would eat eggs and ham for breakfast, a steak and a salad or lc vegies, and at dinner he was eating whatever his wife cooked that day, rice, beans, meat, and he specifically told me he had icecream every night. But, also told me sometimes he just ordered pizza and eat pizza, and had his Icecream.

My Own experience: I started Atkins, and although it worked during induction, I knew I was about to quit, because I just can't live without eating carbs, I just want to be able to control them insted of the carbs cravings controling me. So After talking to my friend I broght the CAD book not the other CALP.

I keep very strict to my 2 CM. During the week, I only have coffee in the a.m., just because I can't eat that early in the a.m., and can't cook at work, so I Just have coffee with heavy wipped cream. On weekends I do have breakfast, or brunch.

At dinner time, unless I am planning to have a very high sugar-carb desert in mind (those that you know true to your heart you will go for a second round), I don't eat any salad. I have whatever my family is eating that day, rice, casserole, spaguetties, meat (I love meat) Bread (no more than 2 servings - before I will have up to 4 good sizes pieces of bread) I eat until I feel satisfied, and stop, I don't eat until I feel I am goint to explode !! If you don't lose any weight for a week, then cut back in portions,i.e., less pasta, and 1 slice of bread. It really depend on how your body responds.

If I have in mind to eat two rounds of my favorite dessert that night, common sense tells me that I may have less pasta, rice than normal, include a salad or vegies to my dinner, eat more meat, sometimes I only have my favorite High Carb Veggie, with my favorite steak, so I can enjoy my dessert.

It really depends what is your down fall, it is bread? desserts? you need to make space to acomodate those carbs you most enjoy and if you can't eat them all in one dinner, remember the next day you will have another RM. And watch how your boddy weight changes.

Sometimes I come from work and I don't feel like a heavy dinner, but I feel like eating Pancakes (THE VERY REAL THING, WITH THE VERY REAL SYRUP) well, that is what I eat, at least 3 good size pancakes with real maple syrup, and a big mug of coffee with heavy wipped cream all in on hour and keep drinking water untill I go to bed. The next day I lost weight !!

My best advise is follow the CAD book as the best of your knowledge. Be strict on your CM and don't deprive yourself of your favorite carbs at your RM, just use common sense, and watch how your boddy's reaction. Drink plenty of water, till you feel that the bathroom is never close enought. If you don't see results the first week, then adjust your RM portions.

Another thing to remember, although you may have read stories of some people loosing 5, 7, pounds a week, that may not be your case, you may lose anywhere from 1/2 pound a day, to 1 pound every 2 days, to 2 pounds a week. It all depends. What you don't want is to gain, and even that, sometimes I eat the same things I would do and lose weight, the next day I gained and it could have been for a lot of reasons, may be my period, didn't drink enough water, whatever, so don't get discouraged, keep on with your plan. This diet does work !!!

I can't believe I wrote this much !!!!! Sorry.......

Well, good luck, feel free to write to me if you have any questions or want to share your experiences.

#6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 13:31
Registered Member

BF:
Default WOW!

Thank you Wanda! I'm glad you went on for so long It was very appreciated and very detailed.

You made a lot of good points and I will be sure to watch them myself. Especially the CM meals. I think that's one of the things anyone has to be careful of.

I think people worry to much. I guess because we're all use to splurging (i.e. desserts and carbs) and then gaining ten pounds the next day.

Thank you again!

Bry
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 20:52

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Cool Go Wanda!

Altho Wanda said it all (kind of!), I just want to say I'm in agreement with her. I don't get all bent out of shape about my RM. Instead, I eat what I normally would eat for dinner. Some days, I try to keep the carbs lower, just because I really don't want any! (My cravings have diminished greatly!)

Other days, I want that piece of pie or cookies, and I forgo the rice to have cookies for desert. I love, love, love this WOE! Such variety! Such choices! No deprivation. Yes! My kinda "diet".

I'll admit, you don't lose fast on this WOE, but I don't care. I believe I can eat like this forever, and if it takes me a year to get to where I want to be, then it'll take a year. I didn't get fat overnight and I won't get slim overnight either!

One more thing. I have never felt more in control of my eating than I do on CAD. It's the first time in my life that I can remember feeling so on top of my body and it's incessant desire to be fat. I'm winning, and it's awesome!

Good luck, friends!

Jeannie
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 06:48

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 230/208/150
BF:
Progress: 28%

I agree with Wanda full heartedly, I was very successful the first go round with CAD. When I started having plateaus and stalls, I started using CALP as my guideline as it is quite a bit stricter than CAD.

If you start out with CAD, and it is working for you, then don't change it. when you start stalling, then you can use the CALP as a guideline to make modifications to help you get going again.

I highly recommend owning both books, as they are both helpful in their own right.

Good Luck!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 07:36

BF:

I have a question??? If you have not done CAD at all and I am over 50 would it be best to begin with CAD or with CALP??? joan
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 160/150/145
BF:

Joan:

I read both books and both diets are very similar with the difference that on CAPL you have to divide your portions on 1/3rds. You can always go for seconds but it must be in the same way. You can't go back for more dessert or carbs if you don't have equal amounts of veggies and protein. CAPL diet allows for snaking and also have some recommendations you can make through this WOE as you get ready for them, i.e., quit drinking diet drinks, quit using sugar substitutes., etc...(there are about 10 of these choices you could make) to make you more healthy, etc....

Also, I don't have the CAPL book with me, in the CAPL book it mention something about CAPL being recommended for people over 40 or 50, but also states that will work for any age group. Again you could buy both books and decide which one you are more likely to stick with.

I think that if you really, really enjoy having salad 2 or 3 times a day because you really love them, CAPL will be a good choice. If you are like me, that can only eat a salad once a day (even when I don't mind some veggies more than once a day) then CAD will work fine as long as you know how to control your RM bacause in CAPL you MUST start your RM with a salad, and always have to do the 1/3rds portions on your RM.

Good Luck, and lete me know which WOE you choose.

#11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:24

BF:

Thanks Wanda, for the info. I guess it was the 1/3 that was a bit confusing to me. I will get the book and let you know which I choose. Thanks again Joan
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:

uhm whats the diff between cad and calp(what does calp stands for ??) sorry,i know i sound moronic here but i rly dunno which plan is for me..im a carb addct ...really carb addict -i binge on it most of the time......the atkins is okay but i feel so depprived i started stallin on it after 1 week.....im confused as to what road to take.i havent reaaly read the Cad book but before i do that i need some insights here pls
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 09:54

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default HEY! GOOD THREAD!

CALP= Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program

Wanda, Your post was very well put. I agree with all that you said.

When I was in the process of seriously loosing 50 pounds I followed CALP to the letter. I was VERY careful. I lost 50 pounds.

When you eat according to the CALP program I think you will find that you have no craving for extra deserts or more food. Seems to me....at least in my case, I would eat my portions and then simply be full. I have learned to scrape my plate into the garbage. I am no longer a "clean plate club" member.

YES...... I find that it is very easy to maintain my weight AND I get to eat my desert when I want to.

Best wishes,
Libby