Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-20, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/208.5/160 Male 5'9
BF:???
Progress:
Default Sugars not coming down

I've been following a keto diet for over a month now and though for 3 consecutive days I my sugars were under 120, most days are between 150 and 180. I understand the day it jumped back up, I ate something I should not have, a complete cookie that was supposed to be 2 servings and had over 7 carbs. I thought it was keto and later discovered it was not. But ever since, my sugars have been high. The only sugar I have eaten since was a handful of blueberries. I typically eat an egg or two for breakfast, a salad for lunch and dinner, usually with a half a chicken breast or some other small meats.

I take metformin and insulin and I do not understand why my sugars are so high. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 14:07

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Please be patient and stick to your plan. It took me months to see a reduction in glucose from my finger sticks, but my a1c was lower every 3 months. Remember this is a life time change in the way you eat.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you perhaps eating too much protein? That was a game changer for me - when I reduced my protein to 60g/day (for losing weight) or 70g (for maintaining), my blood sugar went down.

Somewhere online there's a guide to how much protein you should have but I've misplaced my notes on that.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-20, 10:34

Progress:

I am very careful about protein. I generally have around 20-25gr in the morning and for lunch less than 20gr, and dinner less than 10grms. The good news is that in the pas few weeks I have had several days in the normal range and then rebound up to the 130's so I guess I am improving. I just I had expectations that were not realistic.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-20, 11:16

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

And to show how different we all are, LOL, I've been following a keto diet for a while too and not really seeing any drop in my BG. But I recently went pretty much full carnivore over the last week, and upped my protein a fair amount, and BG has been dropping very steadily every day since.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-20, 12:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviwinger
I am very careful about protein. I generally have around 20-25gr in the morning and for lunch less than 20gr, and dinner less than 10grms. The good news is that in the pas few weeks I have had several days in the normal range and then rebound up to the 130's so I guess I am improving. I just I had expectations that were not realistic.

Likely just need more time. From what I have read, the further our body is down the road on the diabetes trail, the more damage has occurred and the longer time it takes to fix. Keep on your plan and you will continue to fix the damage.

Sorry about the not-keto cookie! I HATE when that happens! I was told a quiche was keto and the woman who baked it and served it talked a good keto game. I later found out only the filling was keto, NOT the crust. ahhhh. So I completely empathize with you.

Just to double check-- is the amount of salad keeping with in the required carb range? ANd the chicken for protein, what I looked up gave 43 grams protein per 140 g portion of chicken breast, about 1 cup. Not sure the size of " half a chicken breast" as those can vary in size wildly!!

Stick to your plan. Maybe decrease the salad a bit at lunch....... and take another look at everything you are eating. In my family we dont use seed oils any more. No corn oil, no canola, etc. Only butter, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil---- pressed oils and beef fat, and lard. As these seem to affect the brain, perhaps it affects the function of other cells as well.

Sorry the cookie took you off course. I know you will get this fixed given time to recoup.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-20, 13:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Likely just need more time. From what I have read, the further our body is down the road on the diabetes trail, the more damage has occurred and the longer time it takes to fix. Keep on your plan and you will continue to fix the damage.

I agree about the damage screwing things up. I was able to eat lc with lower protein for quite a while without meds - then my bg started creeping up. So I have to eat the same way but take metformin too. I had out-of-control diabetes for way too long to expect my body to heal quickly - and it may not happen at all. But I'm not getting worse!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-20, 17:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I agree about the damage screwing things up. I was able to eat lc with lower protein for quite a while without meds - then my bg started creeping up. So I have to eat the same way but take metformin too. I had out-of-control diabetes for way too long to expect my body to heal quickly - and it may not happen at all. But I'm not getting worse!

I read a bit the other day that it could take a year to get things in the right direction.... for a rare few. More encouraging is the number of people that can reduce their meds and for some eliminate meds. While I struggle to stay on plan, I can see the value of fasting for a day, for those not on meds. For those on meds, medically supervised fasting is the recommendation, and that is such a PITA that I can fully understand why that is rarely accomplished.

I dream of being fully healed......so knocked on my endo's door and got a script for T4. Will see if this revs up the BMR and helps get the BG in line. I was rather surprised to find out how T4/T3 affects all cellular function. We talk about insulin but not the other hormones that play a role. Including estrogen ( balanced by progesterone} and testosterone, etc.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 12:23

Progress:

I think time is the big thing for me. I am seeing steady improvements again. My BG readings look like a roller coaster, Up and down with an overall downward trend.
I guess I expected a more of drop rather than a trend.
Live and learn!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 14:19

BF:

Nice to see numbers heading in the right direction!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 14:35

Progress:

Funny, I just re-read my post and it said I ate a cookie with over 7 carbs per serving, I meant over 70 carbs per serving and it was suppose to the 2 servings which means it was over 140 carbs in one cookie. So it was complete, a complete disaster for me.

In any case, I am happy to know I am not really that odd, sugars come down fairly slowly and will give you a roller coaster ride down as it does and that is ok. The right direction is the important part!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 17:09

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

140g carbs and who knows how many grams of sugar is in that count.
That's the thing about sugar coming down, we can't be eating sugar.... it's that simple for me.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 08:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

140 carbs in one cookie? Is that even possible?

Whatever, if you read back through a few pages of this forum you will see many posts with similar concerns about how fast or how low blood sugar numbers should come down. Many examples to show that ups and downs are "normal" You can also check some of the doctor examples of clinic experience. Here's Dr. Westman's, available to all as a 30 minute talk: https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...dr-eric-westman

Hang in there with a very low carb plan, minus the cookie, and you will see results.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 10:37

Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I read a bit the other day that it could take a year to get things in the right direction.... for a rare few. More encouraging is the number of people that can reduce their meds and for some eliminate meds. While I struggle to stay on plan, I can see the value of fasting for a day, for those not on meds. For those on meds, medically supervised fasting is the recommendation, and that is such a PITA that I can fully understand why that is rarely accomplished.

I dream of being fully healed......so knocked on my endo's door and got a script for T4. Will see if this revs up the BMR and helps get the BG in line. I was rather surprised to find out how T4/T3 affects all cellular function. We talk about insulin but not the other hormones that play a role. Including estrogen ( balanced by progesterone} and testosterone, etc.

I am interested in what your results will be, sounds very interesting