Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 05:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Talking These boots were made for walking

I hope it's okay to join you folks in the gym logs. I'm not doing weights, and I'd rather die before walking into a gym. My exercise room is the great outdoors, and my equipment is a quality pair of walking sneakers, a pedometer, a pair of binoculars and a bird book.

I started walking seriously about 3 weeks ago. It started with a 45 minute evening walk down to the creek to watch the deer at dusk. It grew into 45min to an hour at lunch, and an hour to 90 minutes in the evening. This weekend I'm adding an early morning walk, since I'm up at 5 am anyway. This has blossomed into a new found passion.

It was measurement day today. I've lost another inch on my waist - no surprise since my pants are loose. Gained the same inch back on my thighs, but that's likely due to all the walking.

So far this week I've walked 27 km, or just a few feet under 17 miles. It's amazing how the distance adds up!!

My treats for the week were:
- a proper pair of walking sneakers from the sports store. Wow what a difference they make. Much more comfy than my old running shoes. The soles are actually curved to help with impact and to rock your foot properly on the steps.

- a walking pedometer, that clips on your waist and measures how far you walk. Freedom finally...I don't feel compelled to walk the same old routes that I have already done by car to measure the distance.

- the next twinkle in my eye is (I can't believe I'm saying this) real exercise clothes. I finally feel comfortable enough about my body to get a couple of pairs of bicycling style spandex shorts or leggings. So far I've been doing my lunch walk in my work clothes ( a little dressed down) and would prefer to do it in other clothes. This week I discovered we actually have a locker room with showers in our building. Egads..I'm becoming one of the exercise junkies that flood out of the building at lunch time!!

On the serious side, the lunch time walks have done more than given me some exercise. It's a marvelous break in the day. I'm no longer dragged out after lunch. It's easier to focus, and the afternoon seems to go by so much faster now.

What I'm most thrilled about is that walking time has been designated as no smoking time. It seems silly to be hoofing along puffing on a smoke, and it's even sillier to light up afterwards. While I haven't quit, I've added almost another 3 hours a day that is smoke free. Quitting day is likely not that far off.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 05:34

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey everyone is welcome here!!!

You sound so very motivated--that's great! I hear ya on the pedometer thing. When I go walking/running, I have my 2 mile course mapped out (good old car!).

I look forward to reading your progress as you become an exercise junkie!!!

Linda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 06:54

Default Saturday May 11

Walking goals:

Frequency targets:
- at least 4 early morning power walks a week, before eating. Sat and Sun should be easy to do. As the days get longer and lighter in the morning, weekday outings will get easier.

- at least 3 lunchtime powerwalks during the work week, before eating, depending on how hectic my schedule is. (I've already managed this so far)

- at least 5 evening recreational walks a week, after dinner with my dh. While we don't power walk, we do walk briskly and cover satisfying distances. (We've already managed to keep this 5 times a week schedule)

- twice a week recreational walks with a friend who is just starting out. She's a certified reflexologist, and is very health and nutrition aware. This should make for interesting conversation along the way.

Effort targets:
- increase pace and improve average time per mile.
- increase milage

Walking is refreshing, but to get a satisfying amount requires at least 2-3 hours a day. I'm toying with the idea of working up to jogging. To start it will be short stretches of jogging along the walk route. This should be doable...we started out with 45 minute 1 mile walks and now I'm already walking at least 6 miles a day. It will just take some getting used to and working up slowly.

Sat:
7 am power walk to the river's flood plain.
40 minutes outbound, 30 minutes homebound. 3.4 miles (5.4 km)
Average pace 20.6 minutes per mile (up from last weeks 30 minute mile)

The flood plain route is a mix of flat stretches, 2 short steep hills and several long slow grades. Outbound is for the most part downhill. Homebound is uphill. I can really feel my calves working on the steep hills, while the thighs work hard on the long slow grades. It is possible to work up a sweat walking, so plenty of water is in order along the way.

4 pm recreational walk 1.6 mile with a friend

2 mile power walk before dinner. 40 minutes. 20 minutes per mile.

7 miles total walking today.

Last edited by AngelaR : Sat, May-11-02 at 18:18.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 15:04

Default May 18

No walking this week. The weather has been cold, rainy and miserable. I don't have comfortable enough wetproof clothes yet to deal with walking in this kind of weather.

Finally got the spare room in the basement cleaned out and set up as an exercise room. Just finished Richard Simmon Sweatin' to the Oldies, and I feel positively charged!

*LOL* If anyone was watching my workout, they'd think the music I was dancing to was a different tape playing in a different room. I have no coordination. I can't remember repetative dance steps. And I'm too clutzy to be able to reverse what I'm watching on TV and go in the right direction. But I don't care. It was fun dancing away to the music I grew up with.

The tape is quite a workout. It works upper and lower body, gradually builds up to quite an active dance routine, and has great stretches in it. It's a nice alternative to walking, since walking doesn't get me into that kind of a sweat. Plus it doesn't take as much time as walking, so will be easier to do in the morning before work.

I've been reading thru TrainerDan's weight training tips for beginners, and the other info in the stickies, and am thinking that moving to weights for me won't be so far away....as long as I can find exercises that I can do at home with minimal amount of equipment..probably just some small hand dumbells.

I'm very please that I finally added physical activity to my new way of life. It's quite enjoyable. I look forward to it. It feels great during and after. One more small step forward.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 06:16

Default May 19

5am-6am - exercise tape

I guess working out is like eating. You need to find something that works for you. While I enjoy the exercise tape, all the bouncing around to the music is murder on my arthritic knees. I'll have to find something else for cardio. Darn. I loved the total body workout. Walking doesn't give me that.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 15:40

Default May 19 5:30 pm

I can barely walk from all the stain on my knees from 2 days in a row of the Richard Simmons tape. This is very disappointing. For the first time in my entire life I actually WANTED to exercise, and my body won't cooperate. When my knees recover in a few days I'll go back to walking.

Went out today and picked up the Body for Life book, and 2 videos..one low impact arobics and stretches, and one that has 12 basic weight training exercises. Many of the exercises are exactly the same as in the BFL book. The advantage is she works very much on instructing on technique, form, what not to do, where to focus. Seeing the actual exercise helps me to understand what to do.

I spent some time going through the tape today with half litre water bottles filled to one pound weight, just to see how I would do. Yeah I know, one pound is NOTHING, but if you've never lifted weights before, some of those exercises are murder even with one pound at 2 sets of 12 reps. I focused on the upper body training and abs, since they were easier on my knees. The tape also had sitting version of most of the upper body exercises, which helped today.

I've started to read the BFL book, especially the routines to get an idea what is involved equipment wise. I don't have a set of dumbells, so following it to the tee is not in my short term plan.

What I hope to do is at least to reps, starting with 2.5 pounds (1 litre bottles), just to learn the exercises and feel comfy with them. I suppose anything is better than sitting around on my butt. This is a start.

What I really want is new young knees. I was hoping that the glucosamine sulfate would help. I've been taking it since about late January.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 15:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: May 19 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR
What I hope to do is at least to reps, starting with 2.5 pounds (1 litre bottles), just to learn the exercises and feel comfy with them. I suppose anything is better than sitting around on my butt. This is a start.

This is very wise There's guy I occasionally meet at they gym. He racks up all the weights for his routine. Nothing worng with it, except that it was very obvious that it's too much for him. The only way he could wing it was to do half the range of motion, and swing his body to generate more force. The only benefit was to show-off

Knowing the right motion, and how each muscle can be separated is very important. I prefer to reach failure with a weight that is totally under control by doing it slow.

I wouldn't worry about missing a couple of days for the tape, it's better to fully recover first. Eventually it should be a routine with no need for recovery.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 14:22

Thanks for your comments Wa'il. It's times like these I sure wish I had a personal trainer. I feel clutzy and uncoordinated with weights. There are too many things to focus on..the position of the hands, how to position the back, the proper arc or swing, elbows in, elbows out! I suppose with practice it will become more natural.

Walking seems to be doing a good job for my lower body without flaring up the arthritis in my knees, so I'll continue that.

My upper body strength is abismal. Pushups..first set 4, second set 2, then I collapsed on the floor.

Floor crunches...5 then I'm toast, but I'm sure my form is all wrong. It just doesn't "feel" right.

I used to play a lot of tennis in my younger years. I could "feel" a good swing, when the ball and the racquet connected just right. I want to feel that same "sweet spot" with these resistance exercises.

This is day 2 of weights practice. It won't happen overnight.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 04:59

Default Thursday May 23

A couple of significant achievements over the last few days while I was away on a business trip.

Most importantly on the self confidence front...actually got up the courage to go down to the hotel gym and work out. The exercise elves must have been watching over me - the gym was empty both times I went (it was full when I passed by to go to my room). This was a welcome relief as it gave me a chance to try out the treadmill without feeling like a fool.

Secondly...improved up to a 10 minute mile on the treadmill in both of the workouts.

May 21 - 4 miles, 42 minutes, just seconds over 10 minutes/mile
May 22 - 3 miles, 30 minutes, 10 minutes/mile

A 10 minute mile walking is just about jogging pace without the bouncing - works up a great sweat in a much shorter timeframe.

The challenge will be maintaining that pace on the open roads. It's too easy to maintain a steady pace on the treadmill..you have to keep up with the belt otherwise you get flung off!

Weight training - used the opportunity to practice the exercises with real dumbells and try to establish an effective starting weight and a safe upper limit. Unfortunately, my limits right now are 3 pounds starting and 5 pounds upper limit for upper body. The 8 pound weight was far too heavy to do safely. I'm glad my home made weights give me odd weights of 3.5, 4 and 4.5 pounds. This will be good until I outgrow them.

Here is what I tried - it's not the proper BFL routine - just a baseline.

Dumbell bench press - chest:
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
10 at 5#
Arms were getting pretty bobbly on the second rep at 5#

Dumbell flyes - chest:
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
10 at 5#
It was easy enough to focus on feeling this chest workout in the right muscles.

Seated dumbell press - shoulders
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
8 at 5#
These were really difficult at both weights. My arms were quite wobbly. It was hard to focus on the shoulder muscles..felt it more in my wrists (which are very weak). Couldn't get past 8 on the second rep of 5# no matter how hard I tried.

Side raises - shoulders
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
10 at 5#
Could feel these on the shoulders, but I think I was doing them too fast.

Shoulders and chest are very sore today.

Dumbell rows - back
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
Had a lot of trouble feeling these working the back muscles

Seated dumbell curls - biceps
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
10 at 5#

Hammer curls - biceps
12 at 3#
10 at 3#
12 at 5#
10 at 5#
Also had trouble feeling these in the right muscles. Had problems controlling my wrists from being wobbly.

Bent over raises -
12 at 3#
6 at 3#
These were difficult

Tried a few squats and lunges without weights, but my knees did nothing but snap, crackle and pop. Could only get about 1/3 of the way down. Couldn't get back up. Will have to find other quad and hamstring exercises that don't make me feel like rice crispies.

Tomorrow will be the start in earnest of planned BFL routines.

Don't have a problem at all with early morning workouts on an empty stomach. I'm normally up and about between 4:30 and 5am every day anyway. There's plenty of time for workouts before going to work.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 09:07

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

WOW Angela!!

I peeked into your journal to catch up and discovered that you'd started a gym log! I'm so excited and proud for you. It amazes me how good exercising makes me feel and I see that you are noticing that a small start is like planting a seed. In very short order, it grows and grows and grows!

I had to giggle when I read that you'd gone to a 'real' gym after the line at the beginning of your journal:
Quote:
I'm not doing weights, and I'd rather die before walking into a gym.

Every tiny step you take IS progress, so pat yourself on the back and be proud!

Marlaine
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 09:48

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Angela~

What a huge smile I had on my face the entire time I read your gym log. I always love when someone discovers the euphoria of exercise.

You are doing so great!! Taking small steps is exactly the way to do it. There is nothing like overdoing it, hurting yourself and then never wanting to do it again.

I am in my 3rd week of BFL and love every day of it. The exercises in the book are pretty limited and you can look here to find a plethora of exercises.
Feeling uncoordinated is so common when first starting. I've learned that if I practice in front of a mirror it helps.
I look forward to following your progress!
Regards,
Brenda
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 06:06

Talking May 24 - Day 1 - LBWO

Decided to start with LBWO, since most of my practicing has been on upper body.

6 am - empty stomach except for 1 cup of black coffee

Dumb bell step ups - quads
12 at 2#
10 at 3.5#
8 at 3.5#
6 at 5#
12 at 3.5#
Dumb bell plie squat 12 at 3.5
Intensity level 9. Could use heavier weights for these to get to an intensity level of 10. Had a bit of trouble with my snap crackle and pop knees, but once they got used to it the kinks behind my kneecaps worked themselves out.

Straight leg deadlifts - hamstrings
12 at 2#
10 at 3.5#
8 at 3.5#
6 at 5#
12 at 5#
straight leg/straight back deadlifts 24 at 5#
Had to really focus on the hamstrings. Definitely need heavier weights for this

Angled calf raises - calves
12 at 5#
10 at 5#
8 at 5#
6 at 5#
12 at 5#
one leg calf raises - right side 9 at 5#, left side 9 at 5#
Calves were burning. Had some balancing problems. Couldn't do more than 9 on the one legs - just couldn't raise up no matter how hard I tried.

Floor crunches - abs
12, 10, 8, 6 12 I HATE THESE, I HATE THESE I HATE THESE
Bent knee leg raises 4 to failure. I HATE THESE TOO!

Wow!! this was the first time thru an entire LBWO. This is intense!!! WOW! I'm gonna feel this later on.

But...I'm definitely going to need heavier weights for LBWO. The homemade ones will be fine for my skinny little weak arms.

Noticed something over the last week- wondering if other people feel this. I sweat like crazy during the workouts, and drink at least 1 litre of water. About 30 minutes after finishing, I get freezing cold..not the kind of cold that gives you skin goosebumps. but deep down inside your body freezing cold. What causes this???
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 06:17

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

AH, someone else's knees who snap, crackle and pop!

To help with the soreness, are you taking l-glutamine? It works wonders on your recovery time!

You are doing so great Angela!
Take care,
Linda
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 09:59

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Angela......

I sweat when working out......and get cold after. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it's because the blood is rushing to the muscles to start the repair work on them and that leaves us feeling chilled. Just my theory. I have one of those bags of preserved corn that I heat up in the microwave and wear around my neck for about an hour afterward. I find that this helps to bring my body heat back.

Congrats on your first complete LBWO!! Once again....I'm thrilled for you. YOU inspire me!!

Marlaine
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 05:46

Default May 25 - 20-mas

Linda and Marlaine - once again your encouragement is greatly appreciated. It's comforting to know someone with more experience is watching - and understands what all this feels like mentally and physically. That's something my dear hubby will never get close to understanding about this exercise bit. He keeps thinking it will go on for a week or so and then just dwindle away. Thanks again - you guys are great.

20-mas outdoor walking.
This is nothing like the treadmill...much more challenging for me. Harder to keep a steady stride, but easier to focus.

Didn't stretch or warm up before going out. Big mistake. Was fooled by no sore muscles from yesterday's LBWO, until I took the first dozen steps. Then all I wanted to do was turn around and go back to bed.

Definitely hit my tens on this one. Didn't do it according to BFL timing. Couldn't keep up the jogging/sprinting for that .

4 jog/sprint intervals on the outbound 10 minutes. 6 on the homebound 10 minutes. Every minute was torture. Calves and hamstrings were aching like crazy. If anyone was walking behind me they'd of thought I was in labour - heavy breathing, grunting groaning, talking to myself. It seemed easier to let it all out vocally than hold it in.

Each minute was an intensley focused effort. Just make it to the next mailbox. Ok, made it to the mailbox, try jogging to the next apple tree. Didn't make it. Keep walking to the maple tree. try another jog. Push harder, breathe louder, swear a few choice words, then keep going. There was absolutely NO hestitaion about turning back for homebound as soon as the first 10 minutes were up!

Feel satisfied that I did it. Distance covered and miles per minute are not important anymore. Funny about that. Was totally focused on effort. Feels great! Legs are like jello now.