Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 15:35
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Strategizing about water weight - do you deliberately go under goal to allow for it?

So, I've been experimenting with higher carb levels, trying to figure out the level at which cravings and out-of-control appetite will resurface (so I can then stay under that level). So far, I've made it up to 70g, but at that point, I gain about 3 pounds of water.

How have maintainers here chosen to handle water weight resulting from increased carb intake? Did you deliberately lose past your goal weight to allow for the glycogen weight? Or do you think that's silly? I guess I wouldn't care about water retention, except that it does increase my measurements slightly, by about half an inch. And it alarms me to see the higher number on the scale. Of course, the water and inches drop away after a day of induction-level net carbs.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Also -- one more question occurs to me. if I'm not putting on water weight until I hit the high 60s, does that mean I'm in ketosis when I'm under 60? How crazy would that be... I'd assumed I'd been out of ketosis for months now, ever since I started chowing down on apples and nuts and yogurt and celery root on a regular basis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 16:28
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

The increase in carbs will, of course, replenish your glycogen can cause some water retention. It's just a physiological fact.

I say what you do is totally up to you. If you become stressed about seeing 148 on the scale, instead of 145, then diet down to 142. Your weight will be 145 with the increased carbs.

Some will tell you not to worry about it, that it's just water, and you should be happy with the way you look, not with a number on the scale. I say, if you're bothered by it, then get down to 142.

Personally, I just got to a look that I liked and started to maintain. I would generally fluctuate between 148 and 153. I was comfortable in that range, but it didn't have anything to do with the numbers on the scale.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 16:38
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Quote:
I would generally fluctuate between 148 and 153. I was comfortable in that range, but it didn't have anything to do with the numbers on the scale.

I'm just worried and like to use the scale because my idea of where I look good seems to be remarkably... generous. I didn't feel so heavy at 178 until it started dawning on me that it was very unlikely EVERY photo ever taken of me had caught me at a bad angle!

Thanks for the advice. So you think I was in ketosis until I put the water weight on, then? That's kind of amazing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 16:48
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Yes, it does sound like you were in ketosis until you increased the carbs and put on the water weight.

Oh, you must have the same messed up camera that I do!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I remember from PP that water retention is one of the signs that one should use as to when to decide how much carbs are enough. Water retention, weight gain and cravings and the return of any other physical symptoms that used to occur like heartburn, body aches, bloating, HTN or increase in triglycerides are the ones I remember they said. Since they don't measure for ketones, it makes sense that we should also look for other "signs" that we've eaten enough carbs.

I'm so proud of you Aeryn. You are doing this the right way!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-07, 18:49
Paper beats rock?!?

BF:

Thank you, Elle. You know you are one of my big inspirations on this board, 'cause I've told you so in the past. But it never hurts to repeat it.

Quote:
I remember from PP that water retention is one of the signs that one should use as to when to decide how much carbs are enough.

Hmm. Well, 60ish carbs is plenty for me -- enough to eat generous amounts of high fat food, and to have an apple with almond butter to boot! If that's where I've got to call it a day, I'm perfectly content.