Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 01:58

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default British GP says low-carb approach is ‘shaking up’ healthcare profession

Quote:
GP says low-carb approach is ‘shaking up’ healthcare profession

A GP who has saved the NHS thousands of pounds and put 52 people with type 2 diabetes into remission using the low-carb diet says adopting the lifestyle approach may “literally save lives”.

Last year, Dr David Unwin handed back £57,000 of unspent money from his surgery’s drugs budget by encouraging his patients to ditch rice, pasta and potatoes and sugary foods, suggesting they eat more fish, meat, eggs and green vegetables instead.

The GP, from Southport, Merseyside, is due to discuss lifestyle prescription and the benefits of eating low-carb at the Diabetes Professional Care 2018 (DPC2018) conference in London later this month.

Dr Unwin said: “I’m really interested in empowering patients by giving them lifestyle choices in a bid to overturn their type 2 diabetes.

“My passion is, at the point of diagnosis, offering people a three-month trial of diet and exercise instead of drugs. Hundreds of people within my practice are taking this up.

“Over the years, I’ve seen an eight-fold increase in the number of people with type 2 diabetes. This is a serious epidemic.

“But what is brilliant is I’m seeing patients – on a weekly basis – who are putting their diabetes into remission without having used any drugs at all.
“Not only are we saving the NHS and the Government large amounts of money on medication, but we’re literally transforming their lives at the same time.

“The average patient is losing 19 pounds in weight and is so proud – it’s a win, win situation.”

Despite the positives, the low-carb approach has been deemed by many as controversial.

But Dr Unwin said opinions are now starting to shift, with the Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) now even supporting the dietary choice for tackling obesity.

“There’s been immense progress and more change is coming, the pioneering approach is really shaking up the healthcare industry,” he added.

“The Royal College of Practitioners has also published a low-carb e-learning module which is available to all their 52,000 GPs and both Diabetes UK and the British Diabetic Association also recognise the diet as an option.”

Dr Unwin said an increasing number of healthcare professionals are getting in touch with him about the low-carb diet.

He said: “I’m being contacted by GPs all over the country who want to see me in surgery and I now have a waiting list.

“I’m hopeful that by presenting at DPC2018 I’ll be able to enlighten attendees and educate them about the huge benefits that the low-carb diet can bring to their patients.”

DPC2018 takes place at London’s Olympia on November 14 and 15 and will feature presentations and workshops on topics such as the childhood obesity strategy, type 2 diabetes reversal and diabetes burnouts.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/n...are-profession/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 03:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Love Dr David Unwin, positive news he is speaking at a Diabetes Care conference. I don’t know this newspaper, but more good press for LC even in the far northern borders.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 12:38

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Last year, Dr David Unwin handed back £57,000 of unspent money from his surgery’s drugs budget

That's a further improvement on his £45,000 figure from 2016 as well. Good to see guys like Dr Unwin continuing to lead the way.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 13:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Decreased expenses on drugs and better health.....and a lowered food bill......lc programs should take off with this kind of support.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 13:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Grass roots among physicians is going to get the word out faster than many other methods. Dr. Unwin has had a major influence on health from his clinical practice results. It attracts attention from the many professionals who have been frustrated by lack of impact on the standard approaches.