Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-19, 03:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default We are here, that's a biggie!

Not doing that well on controlling my eating this past while.

But you know what I'm proud that I'm trying. Not successfully granted, have put on around a 1lb a month this last six months. We are here all doing our best. I love reading the success stories and am so impressed with the commitment of others, it gives me hope.

I update the "First Challenge of 2019" each month. Previously I wimped out, not wanting to admit I had put on. Only person I was fooling was myself. Onwards and upwards maybe that should be downwards.

Don't put off dressing up, doing your hair, putting on your makeup, looking after yourself until you lose weight.

Do it now and it might just help a little or a lot.

Last edited by esw : Sat, Nov-02-19 at 04:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 03:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I think my biggest success wasn't weight loss - I didn't have much to lose, and I'm bigger now in my older age. My success was (and is) the permanent change in my attitude toward food. The month-long a-ha moment I had when I read Protein Power and joined this forum, that was such a game-changer. "Wait, I should just eat whole eggs, real butter, and fatty meat?! I should skip low-fat foods?" It applies even if I'm going to have some off-plan food - because I'm rarely starving or food-obsessed any more. I don't binge like I would have as a teen/young adult starving myself just to be at a normal weight. (Side note - completely eliminating gluten was important for this.)

Even when my eating is not great, it's way better than the average person and way better than teenage-me. I don't beat myself up over poor choices. They have their own natural consequences. They just are what they are.

100% agree about dressing nicely, etc. I learned this from Flylady. One of her 'rules' is that you have to be dressed and "fix your face" every day. Not necessarily looking like a diva, but she once described her inpatient experience with depression. Her room mates were given an "assignment" to give her a makeover. She said she felt amazing, and everyone said she carried herself completely differently. Myself, to this day, I refuse to feel like I look dumpy. I refuse to hang onto clothes that make me feel that way. Even my PJs, I think they look cute. Know what I mean?

Thanks for reading my novel.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 09:37

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I do know what you mean. I make my bed every day and I “fix my face” too.

I have quit eating those crappy gluten free Frankenfoods. They have very few redeeming qualities. Bleaugh.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 11:28

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

In June, I started a job, where how I look matters.

So I bought my first makeup in 2 decades... I now own foundation, blush, and powder. (Lipstick doesn't count -- I always have a lipstick on hand for photos.) (And eye makeup is pointless with my glasses. I HAVE macara & shadow, I just don't bother with it. No one can tell if I'm wearing it, anyway.)

I've lost 4" in the waist since June, so keeping up with clothes for the job is being a challenge... dresses are my friend.

As for accountability...

Well, you know what you need to do. You don't need anyone else to tell you. You (generic "you", which sometimes included me) "slip", because in the moment, it feels easier. But we all know, here, that when you truly commit, it works, and you feel better for it.

You just have to value yourself enough to do it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 04:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I started in 2003. It was hardly a flawless glide path considering I hit what I realized was my goal this summer.

But every single step on this path led me here, a really great place, so who am I to complain?

I learned I would backslide, and what to do about it, and then how to not backslide, and got better at that. I learned to doubt everything I had been told. I learned how to cook!

It's a lot to learn, especially since we spent so much time being taught all the wrong things and to blame ourselves when it didn't work. Glad I'm past THAT particular lie.

But it's a lifelong skill that will make our lives longer. Really nothing to lose except stuff we turn out not to need, after all.