Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 09:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How might the keto diet help treat cancer?

Quote:
How might the keto diet help treat cancer?

New research in mice suggests that keeping blood sugar under control using either the ketogenic diet or a diabetes drug could help treat certain cancers by boosting the efficacy of standard chemotherapy.

The ketogenic diet consists of high fat foods, foods that contain an adequate amount of protein, and a very low amount of carbohydrates.

Normally, the human body gets its main source of energy (sugar) from carbs.
However, the ketogenic diet deprives the body of glucose, inducing a state of "ketosis."

During ketosis, the body is forced to break down stored fat instead of sugar to produce an alternative source of energy.

The ketogenic, or "keto," diet has been around for centuries. Traditionally, some have used it as a therapy for conditions such as diabetes and epilepsy.

Newer studies have started to examine the therapeutic potential of the keto diet for other conditions, such as cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Alzheimer's disease.

The keto diet's potential as cancer treatment

For instance, recent research has suggested that the keto diet could complement standard cancer therapies such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

The diet could boost the power of conventional cancer treatment by selectively inducing metabolic oxidative stress in cancer cells, but not in normal ones.

Other studies have also suggested that certain cancers are heavily reliant on glucose for energy. So, restricting cancer cells' access to sugar may be a valid way of sensitizing them to chemotherapy.

New research explores the keto diet as a potential avenue for cancer treatment. Jung-Whan Kim, an assistant professor of biological sciences at the University of Texas at Dallas, is the corresponding author of the new study.

Using a mouse model of lung and esophageal cancer, Kim and colleagues restricted the rodents' levels of circulating glucose by feeding them a ketogenic diet and administering them a diabetes drug that stops the kidneys from reabsorbing blood sugar.

The researchers have published their paper in the journal Cell Reports. Meng-Hsiung Hsieh is the first author.

The keto diet and squamous cell carcinoma

Kim and his team have previously shown that a cancer type called squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) relies a lot more on glucose to sustain its "antioxidative capacity and survival" than other types of cancer, such as lung adenocarcinoma.

So, in the new study, the team reasoned that restricting glucose would make SCC more vulnerable to treatment. They fed mice with xenograft tumors either a ketogenic diet consisting of 0.1% carbs or a normal chow diet.

"Xenograft tumor growth of lung SCC [...] and esophageal SCC [...] was significantly inhibited upon ketogenic diet as compared to normal chow fed groups," report the study authors.

"Both the ketogenic diet and the pharmacological restriction of blood glucose by themselves inhibited the further growth of [SCC] tumors in mice with lung cancer," says Kim.

"While these interventions did not shrink the tumors, they did keep them from progressing, which suggests this type of cancer might be vulnerable to glucose restriction," he adds.

However, the glucose restriction did not affect other, non-SCC tumors. "Our results suggest that this approach is cancer cell type specific. We cannot generalize to all types of cancer," Kim says.
Quote:
"
The key finding of our new study in mice is that a ketogenic diet alone does have some tumor growth inhibitory effect in [SCC] [...]. When we combined this with the diabetes drug and chemotherapy, it was even more effective."
Jung-Whan Kim
Paradigm shifting findings

The researchers also studied blood sugar levels in samples from 192 people with SCC of the lung or esophagus. They then compared them with those from 120 people with lung adenocarcinoma.

"Surprisingly," says Kim, "we found a robust correlation between higher blood glucose concentration and worse survival among [people] with [SCC]."
"We found no such correlation among the lung adenocarcinoma patients.

This is an important observation that further implicates the potential efficacy of glucose restriction in attenuating [SCC] growth," he adds.

Although the authors recognize that this study was preclinical and that more extensive research is necessary, the findings, they say, point to a "paradigm shift" in cancer treatment.

"Manipulating host glucose levels would be a new strategy that is different from just trying to kill cancer cells directly," Kim says.

"I believe this is part of a paradigm shift from targeting cancer cells themselves. Immunotherapy is a good example of this, where the human immune system is activated to go after cancer cells."

"Maybe we can manipulate our own biological system a little bit or activate something we already have in place in order to more effectively combat cancer," he concludes.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326043.php
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 18:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
"Surprisingly," says Kim, "we found a robust correlation between higher blood glucose concentration and worse survival among [people] with [SCC]."

This is an important observation that further implicates the potential efficacy of glucose restriction in attenuating [SCC] growth," he adds.

"Maybe we can manipulate our own biological system a little bit or activate something we already have in place in order to more effectively combat cancer," he concludes.

You think? Epigenetics has informed us that treating disease (including cancer) at the cellular and organelle (mitochondrial) level by changing the environment through nutritional lifestyle changes can start helping immediately. Genes can be activated or deactivated this way.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-19, 20:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hmmmm....NIH has a study published in 2005, or 2006, that uses a period of no eating during chemo or radiation, cant rember which in humans. One of our members practiced fasting to be ready for her treatment day.

This study seems like old news.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 08:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Do you think they fed mice all meat to be Keto?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 08:57

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've always thought that since when the oncologist wants to find where cancer lies in your body, he or she injects sugar with some kind of tracer material into your blood stream. It heads to the cancer first thing.

So I put 1 and 1 together and decided that Cancer feeds on Sugar.

Seems too simple, I know, but logical anyway.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 09:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Do you think they fed mice all meat to be Keto?

Great question.

A good reason to develop rat models, as they can be totally carnivore. But there are more mice strains already developed than you can shake a stick at. Jackson Labs is a big producer of mice. We had lots of pet mice in my neighborhood!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 09:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I've always thought that since when the oncologist wants to find where cancer lies in your body, he or she injects sugar with some kind of tracer material into your blood stream. It heads to the cancer first thing.

So I put 1 and 1 together and decided that Cancer feeds on Sugar.

Seems too simple, I know, but logical anyway.

Bob

Thanks to people like you BOb I dont feel like such an experiment. I too have been putting two and two together.... the docs just dont seem to do that. It is hold back and wait.... until a good study and other docs have led the way.. then it is safe to proceed.

Please keep sharing!!

PS Adding, I am adding fasting in hopes of staving off cancer. Maybe that should read " starve", lol

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Aug-15-19 at 16:48.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 17:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Sadly, we've known since 1931 that cancer cells are mutated to basically feed on sugar:

Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar.

— Otto H. Warburg

He won the Nobel Prize for this discovery, so it was widely known. Kinda like the Banting Diet was widely known.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 18:50

BF:

What the h e l l happened ?????

How did one man railroad us into our current state....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 19:22

BF:

It's an interesting human dynamic that is likely to happen again with many other scientific claims. Popular belief even when supported by scientists is hardly sound science.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 19:29

BF:

Yes you are right.

But I am hoping the number of LCers are growing to the point that we can stand up and help change the dialogue now. The number of people on this forum that are educated in depth about foods and diet, not weight loss meaning but consumption of food meaning, has shown me we know more than the doctors and are no longer willing to let a doctor "tell us what to do" without some indepth digging.

We are getting educated.

And I know a few doctors do not like that I ask so many questions, or pose new ideas; they shut down and change the topic.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 19:36

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I feel that low-carbing and more so keto eating will be more effective in preventing the occurrence of cancer than in the treatment of cancer after it has been found.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 21:17

BF:

Im praying this is so. Actually, Im banking on it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 21:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I feel that low-carbing and more so keto eating will be more effective in preventing the occurrence of cancer than in the treatment of cancer after it has been found.

I feel that way as well. A radical reduction of all food sources contributing to glucose seems to be a sound preventive approach.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 04:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Tuit Nutrition's series on mitochondria:

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2014/1...-structure.html

is an excellent overview on this tricky subject.

All my own reading of other's research leads to more and more support of the Warburg Effect. I also see supporting evidence in the effects of my own, now 7 months in, Ketogenic Diet. It has addressed an horribly painful and obvious autoimmune flare, calmed my arthritis, improved my sleep, helped my crushing fatigue, put color in my face according to friends, and put me at the lowest weight since the onset of puberty.

I figure that means it's good for me, which means it's good for me. So seeing how this improved health is because my mitochondria are getting healthier, and mitochondrial disorders start to be seen as the root of most chronic illnesses.

Not just a few.