Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 04:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Press Release: Angry Low Carb Dieters Dismayed by Their Rapid Weight Gains

Press Release Source: Dr. Barry Sears

Angry Low Carb Dieters Dismayed by Their Rapid Weight Gains
Tuesday September 21, 5:06 am ET

DANVERS, Mass., Sept. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- A 45-year-old divorced father from suburban Chicago can't believe what has happened to him. He went on a low carb diet and within several months lost almost 35 pounds. Now, two years later, he is visibly overweight again, depressed and disgusted.
ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Barry Sears, creator of the Zone Diet and subject of the just released audiobook, The Low Carb Yo-Yo: Why Low Carb Diets Don't Work hears tales like this every day from angry dieters who followed trendy low carb diets (Oasis Audio / $21.99 cd version / $19.99 cassette version / Available September 21, 2004 in Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and Books-A-Million bookstores) They lose the weight, and then put it on once again, often more weight than ever.

Countless weight-conscious Americans have been thrilled with low carb diets. They love the eggs, cheese and fatty meats the diets prescribe. They lose the weight - and lots of it! "It was simply too good to be true," says the Chicago father. Then the honeymoon with low carb begins to sour. Within 6 months of sometimes remarkable weight loss, low carb dieters begin piling on the pounds again. Our country is rife with low carb dieters who are fat, frustrated, and furious.

"It's a vicious cycle," says Dr. Sears. "By following low carb diets people initially lower their insulin levels which is key to weight loss. But after the first six months on a low carb diet, the body responds to the continued lack of adequate dietary carbohydrates by secreting more of the hormone cortisol. This hormone tears down existing muscle mass for conversion into enough carbohydrate for brain function. With time, excess cortisol increases insulin levels and weight gain returns rapidly. It's simply the body doing what it's programmed to do."

The Low Carb Yo-Yo is an in-depth conversation with Dr. Sears, exploring how the food we eat generates different hormonal responses that control both our weight and our health. "Any diet that uses the word high or low to describe it is doomed to long-term failure because it drives these key hormones out of the Zone", says Dr. Sears. "The Zone Diet advises moderation in all things - protein, carbs, and fats." By eating this way, people develop a life-long weight loss strategy and also regain control of their health.

With so much conflicting diet information, it's no wonder low carb dieters are angry. Dr. Sears, a highly respected medical researcher provides a calming voice of reason based on scientific evidence. The Low Carb Yo-Yo: Why Low Carb Diets Don't Work is the first step toward anger management for low carb dieters. (Oasis Audio / $21.99 cd version / $19.99 cassette version / Available September 21, 2004 in Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and Books-A-Million bookstores)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Dr. Barry Sears

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040921/nyfnsq01_1.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 05:20

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobimbo
Within 6 months of sometimes remarkable weight loss, low carb dieters begin piling on the pounds again. Our country is rife with low carb dieters who are fat, frustrated, and furious.

"It's a vicious cycle," says Dr. Sears. "By following low carb diets people initially lower their insulin levels which is key to weight loss. But after the first six months on a low carb diet, the body responds to the continued lack of adequate dietary carbohydrates by secreting more of the hormone cortisol. This hormone tears down existing muscle mass for conversion into enough carbohydrate for brain function.

What a load of rubbish. I've been low carbing for more than 3 years and I'm still 44lbs lighter. As for 'This hormone tears down existing muscle mass for conversion into enough carbohydrate for brain function.' How can this happen when you are eating more than adequate protein? My muscle mass is not dissappearing anywhere.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 06:38

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Funny how Barry Sears is trying to spin AWAY from low-carbing now. He was one of the first to advocate curtailing carbs way back when. But people found his 30-30-40 plan too complicated. And low-carbing worked better.

He's trying to sell an audio tape now.

I agree with Fletcher. If you're eating plenty of protein, why in heck would the body ignore all that, and start ripping muscle apart for gluconeogenesis? Makes no sense.

If people re-gain weight when low-carbing, it's because they stop low-carbing, or they start cranking up their portions over time, and end up eating far more than they used to.

I think Sears is guessing with this cortisol thing. It may be test-tube science, but I'd like to see a study showing it actually happens in people.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 07:40

Plan: Atkins (Vegetarian)
Stats: 150/138/117 Female 4'10"
BF:Pregnant. Weight L
Progress: 36%

I'm a little peeved because almost ALL dieters put weight back on at some time in their dieting history. It usually takes a person several attempts at dieting before they convert their "diet" into a way of life-- and that goes for low carb, low fat, small portions, giving up junk food, a switch to vegetarianism or whatever...that is simply the nature of making a change in life. Most people have a habit of eating one way.....and to lose weight, they have to create a new habit of eating ANOTHER way. The same goes with exercise. Since when did creating new habits happen overnight? Since when did most people form a new habit in their first try??? Weight loss success for most people comes when they try, stop, try, stop and then- one day you try and you don't stop anymore....and you are a success. Studies on successful weight losers have already shown this pattern.

Barry Sears can say whatever the heck he wants about low carbers. He know's this is true of almost anyone who needs to make a dietary change of ANY type. I find it disinengenuous that he would publish a press release of this type-- and I'm suspicous of his saying that low carbers who have gained are "angry" at the diet. Most normal adults know that if they got off their diets, they should be angry with themselves. I think this type of attack just might backfire on Sears among thinking people. I'm sure that's not the result he was looking for; but then again, these days I see a lot of proof that Americans aren't thinking much anyway.

Faith
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 07:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobimbo
But after the first six months on a low carb diet...

Ruh roh! If this guy is right, I must have a big tushy laying around somewhere...because I've been at my goal weight for a year now.

If anyone trips over it, please don't send it back!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 07:47

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Anytime you stop doing whatever is making you successful in losing weight, whether it's low carb or low fat/low calorie, and go back to the old way of eating that made you fat in the first place, you're going to gain weight.
That's simple.

Low carb is a lifestyle. Too many folks overlook this fact and look for a quick weight loss solution and then go right back to their old way of eating - you know - the one that made them overweight in the first place.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 07:49

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithnj
I'm a little peeved because almost ALL dieters put weight back on at some time in their dieting history.

Their "dieting" history is the key, Faith. We have to stop "dieting" and learn to live a healthy lifestyle that includes low-carbing. I've been low-carbing for over 2 1/2 years. I have never regained any of the weight I lost. Instead I initially dropped about 30 pounds and maintained that drop for about 20 months, then I used a low-cal version of low-carbing to 'diet' and lose another 25 pounds, which I have been maintaining for a couple months now. The only diet I went off was to stop lowering my calories and eat a normal low-carb diet. I expect I'll go back to low-cal to drop some more weight one of these days, but I'm too busy now to mess with it.

Barry Sears is a crackpot in my mind -- especially now. His program didn't work to start because it was so complicated and he got it wrong anyway, and now he's blaming low-carb for the failure of his idotic drivel. (That didn't come out right, but I think you know what I mean.)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 08:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I'm deeply, deeply disappointed in Dr Sears. He used to have some credibility. The Zone isn't a bad plan. He endorsed "Protein Power Lifeplan". Now he has to bash LC so he can sell his own book? What a loser.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 08:49

Plan: Atkins (Vegetarian)
Stats: 150/138/117 Female 4'10"
BF:Pregnant. Weight L
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
Their "dieting" history is the key, Faith. We have to stop "dieting" and learn to live a healthy lifestyle ...

Penny, I'm impressed by your success!
But essentially, we've said the same thing. If you notice-- my second sentence said "It usually takes a person several attempts at dieting before they convert their "diet" into a way of life--..."

I'm sure you'd agree with me, most people don't succeed at losing weight and keeping it off the very first time they ever try-- because they don't yet understand that changing your weight is not about a one time change. It's about becoming comfortable with permanent changes and the development of new habits.

Best wishes for your continued success!

Faith
(Who's doctor has told her she has to work on GAINING WEIGHT! I'm 24 weeks preg and have only gained 4 lbs. Fortunately, the baby is still growing, even if I'm not.)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 09:04

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

IMHO, this is simply typical Zone Junk Science. Isn't this the same guy who claimed Ketones were a byproduct of muscle wasting and that "Eicosanoids" created by Red Meat are bad for you ??? He does slam Hydrogenated Oils and his 33% reduction in Carbs and corresponding increase in Protein is a step in the right direction, but his diet is still way too high in Carbs (5-10% WL/10-20% MAINTNANCE being ideal IMHO) and way too low in Fat (60-70% WL/45-60% MAINTNANCE being ideal IMHO.) Protein should always be 20-35% IMHO, which means he at least got the Protein right.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 09:31
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm deeply, deeply disappointed in Dr Sears. He used to have some credibility. The Zone isn't a bad plan. He endorsed "Protein Power Lifeplan". Now he has to bash LC so he can sell his own book? What a loser.

I never liked his plan anyway, it seemed like he was trying to be all things to all people to me. Gladly, I never supported him by buying his books

What rubbish!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 09:39

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

Ugh I feel the same disappointment, Kristine. The Zone was the first lc book that I read and it made me switch from eating high carb to lower carb. I'm very surprised to see this from Dr Sears. As a doctor who is advocating eating a lower carb diet, he should know better than extolling the above rubbish.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 10:08

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I've noticed an increase in complete horse droppings that come from PRNewswire. It isn't as if these "stories" are actual news, they are just ads dressed up as news stories. If you look around on this forum, there are tons of articles from hucksters and rival diets that originated from PRNewswire.

As to the substance of it, my experience has been that in a bit over 12 months of low carb, I've seen plateaus, but never sustained gains. I feel better than I have in a very long time, and do not see muscle erosion at all.

Barry's just trying to sell some books.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 12:43

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithnj
Deb, I'm impressed by your success! But essentially, we've said the same thing

Actually, what I said didn't come out right, Faith. I was agreeing with you.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 14:52
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

hmmm...

So from this article, we can gather some valuable information concerning the Inuit. The explorers were lying! Actually, the Inuit were huddled in their dwellings, muscle tissue depleated and great rolls of fat on their bodies