Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:03

Plan: Atkins (basic LC) + Portion Control
Stats: 174/144/120
BF:
Progress: 56%
Question Former Atkins, Thinking About SS.

Hi Everyone, I used to be on Atkins (and was a member of this group but I had problems logging on again) so I had to register again.

Due to a long bout with kidney stones and related surgery I was told that LC was bad for me because of the stones. Turns out (unfortunately a year or so late) that this info was WRONG!

So I'm ready to begin LC again ... hey it was great for my type 2 diabetes because when I was LC'ing I didn't have to take the diabetes medication.

I had been ill since August and in October I was not able to eat more than a mouthfull of food. Whatever I did eat did not stay down. Because of this I did loose weight but not in a healthy way. Before I got sick I weighed around 165 - 168 lbs. and I dropped to 140. In the last week I've gained a few back and you know, I don't want to gain it all back.

Now that I have been able to eat again my numbers (blood sugar, cholesterol, LDL, etc. have been going up. Dr. has prescribed Lipitor for cholesterol and is re-evaluating my diabetes meds. No way Jose .... I'm gonna LC again and do this (weight loss & health) the right way, without meds.

Now I've just heard Suzanne Sommers on a radio talk show and from the little bit I've heard I think it might be a tad easier than Atkins, is that right? I mean, is all we have to remember is concepts and not have to do any counting? The record keeping was something I found difficult, not the LC eating.

Before I go out to buy the book I thought I'd check in with you guys and see if you could tell me how difficult/easy/? the SS plan is. Oh and which book of hers should I buy if I decide on doing the SS plan?

It's GOOD to be back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 23:09

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello Snowbird!
I am currently switching myself to Somersizing! I see no one has replied yet to your post. Please let me know what you have decided. As far as Somersizing being easier... I think it is all relative. From what I have learned so far, it seems to be a little more involved. ie: You can eat this ... but only if it is 3 hours after that...
Personally, I am very excited about the switch, as I think that Atkins diet may be too drastic for me. I have been going through a lot of hormonal stuff since I started Atkins almost 3 months ago, and I have decided a different low carb program is better for me.
I am looking forward to hearing more about how things are going with you! Good luck on your new journey!
Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 05:56

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I think I might give Somers a try too. I have fallen of the LC wagon over the holidays and need to get back on track. I think trying a new a program will help me get excited aabout LC and get back on track.

Are there alot of Somers on the board here? I would like to hear from others who are doing Somers.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 08:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi, I"ve changed my identity back to my old one of Norma June. I'm no longer SnowbirdNJ.

I think I might just do a basic Atkins type of LC. I don't want to have to do any counting, food combining, keto sticks, etc.

From when I was on Atkins before I have a list of LC foods which I will use as a guide. I've already rid my cupboards of whatever foods that have accumulated over the holidays.

So that's basically what I'm doing, just good old fashioned LC eating combined with portion control, water drinking and exercise.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 09:38

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

Kelly~
Unfortunately there are not a lot of people on this board who do the Somers LC program. However, she has a website of her own www.suzannesomers.com
I have been 3 days on her program and finally lost a lb. (I was "stalled" for over a month. On her program, you are allowed fruits and some carbs. Have you read any of her books? I am really excited about trying something different. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about Somersizing. I am not an expert (YET!) But I would love to give you any info I have!

Norma~
Best of luck back on the low carb wagon. I wish you much slimness in the near future!!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 10:11

BF:
Default Hi Lisa

I just got her new book Fast and Easy from the library. I started reading last night. I am really looking for new recipes. So when I find a keep I like I am going to copy them down before I return it to the library.

I like the idea of adding a few carbs (good ones..not the bad ones) Seems like her program is a bit confusing. Eating carbo meals, pro/fats, eating fruits on empty stomach, then not eating for hour. I think I am going to have to re-read it a few times to really understand the whole program.

First thing I have to do, no matter what program I am going to follow is to stop drinking coffee. I think that is what is holding me back from reaching my goal. It seems like once I lose a few pounds, they come back on even when I am LC. It has to be the coffee.

I really hate to give that up. I enjoy my coffee in the mornings. Not that I NEED it to get going in the mornings. I just look forward to greeting the morning with a hot cup of coffee.

In her new book I saw the recipe for Cheeseburger Pie, I think I am going to make that for dinner tonight with a salad on the side. I need recipes that the whole family will love!

I am also looking for a "fun" friday meal. We always make our own pizza on friday nights. It has become a family tradition. I usually restrict my pizza to one slice, or not have any at all. But I would like to replace that friday night fun meal to something different that is LC or Somers friendly.

Last edited by KellyG5 : Thu, Jan-16-03 at 10:26.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have been somersizing since last may (6 Months), but I totally went off the wagon during Christmas, so now I am looking into Atkins and sort of doing a mixed Atkins/Somersizing WOE. I never did eat the high carb/fat free meals that Somers recommended. What is the point of having an whole grain bagel if you cant have butter or cheese on it? I didn't want to eat fat free products since it is overprocessed and full of stuff I cannot pronounce. Now, I occasionally have a baked good, or cereal made with low carb alternatives (soy powder, flax meal, almond powder) and I have it with fat (butter, cheese, clotted cream!)! I still occasionally eat fruit alone and I put no limit on how many low carb veggies I eat. I can't see myself ever getting into protein shakes or bars or buying atkins baking mix. I totally refuse to start purchasing high priced products with someones name on it, weither it's Somers or Atkins! I also cannot see myself spending a lifetime counting every carb I put in my mouth.

This probably has just confused you more. Sorry! If you have any questions about Somersizing, I'd be happy to help out. It worked for me. I lost 16 punds in 6 weeks!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:07
HELP!!!

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/175/140 Female 5'1
BF:

Oh my I just made her cheesecake yumm. it is so good. I switch from atkins to ss just this week. so far the only difference i am seeing is that i eat a little fruit. And it really is good. Stacey
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:07

BF:

I like alot of Somers recipes. As for the high carb/no fat meals, I will stick with the low carb/protien meals. Otherwise known as meat and veggie meals.

I know what you mean by buying protien shakes/protien bars with someone's name on them. One thing I didn't like about Somer's book Fast and Easy...it sounded so much like an infomerical for her products. I am not going to buy somer-sweet or any of her other product. I like her program, but I am not going to be buying her things.

I have only read Fast and Easy. I would like to check out her other books at the library (I don't even buy the books!)

Tonight I made the Cheeseburger Pie. It was great! 1 out 3 kids actually liked it. My kids are very fussy eaters so with one liking it, I was very happy.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:10
HELP!!!

BF:

I did buy the sommersweet. it is like splended(sp?) anyway it doesn't leave an after taste. And it worked well in the cheesecake. Stace
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:14
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

When I first started SS I signed up for her e-mailed newsletter, thinking it would be info and tips and advice. NOT! It was links to where you could buy her low-carb ketchup, dressings, mixes, etc...etc... I unsubscribed. I did buy one of her books and found it great. " Eat, cheat and lose weight". Wonderful recipes, no odd ingredients. I lent it to my sister in law last summer and haven't got it back, so I must start bugging her about it! Anyway its a great, very healthy plan, since you aren't giving up any food groups, just sugar. It is slower than Atkins, but more do-able over the long run. Also, You don't have to count carbs.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:27

BF:

I like her plan, and feel I can use this the rest of my life. Ut I am disappointed in her website and her book Fast and Easy. Just seems like she is selling her products.
I do like the concept of her idea. I am sure is it a slower way to lose weight, but slow and steady wins the race

I am sticking to more of the pro/fat meals. I just made her cheeseburger pie for dinner last night. I loved it! Even my kids liked it.

I do like the idea of having a carb meal in the morning (if I choose to do so) I feel great when I can have a hot bowl of oatmeal in the mornings.

About 4 years ago, I started to lose my weight by SS without even knowing it. I never read any diet books, let alone a low carb book.

For breakfast I would have a bowl of oatmeal.
Lunch would be salad with tuna or hard boiled eggs
dinner usually was meat ad veggie, but I wasn't "lowCarbing" then so I used more of potion controll then LC. And then I wouldn't eat after 7:00

With that plan, I lost about 20 pounds without doing alot. After I lost 20 pounds I started reading LC books and fine tuning my WOE. I lost another 25-30 pounds. That was 3 years ago. I kept most of the weight off, but now I gained 10 pounds in the last couple of months.

I wanted to find a new program to get me excited about this WOE and that is how I decided to try Somersize.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 18:19
HELP!!!

BF:

I really liked the fact that you can either buy some of her products or she does give her recipes in her new book. I did buy the somersweet and it really has a sugar taste. It doesn't leave an after taste. I like it in my coffee. And I gave some of my friends the cheesecake, they loved it didn't beleive it wasn't made with sugar.

I also am now losing very slowly if at all because of meds that I am taking.
Stacey
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 09:23

Plan: atkins (for induction) "Protien power" at present
Stats: 202/189/130
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi girls ::smile::

I am totally new here...But, I have been researching both Atkins and Somers...I too think I am going to try and incorperate both types of diets in my life...Starting with atkins and very slowly work my way into SS...I'll stop the SS additions when I hit stalls..See what works for me and what doesn't...

I have hung out daily on the Somers board for about 2 weeks... A few things I found interesting.. I read from a few of her long time fans...One was the observation that her latest few books (one specifically for deserts) Seems to have caused a lot of people to stall...Even though they are made from artificial sweetners...I guess with anything the key is moderation ::sigh:: lol ...I had also seen where a few had said they had lost a lot more weight with her first 2 books (not sure what they are but, plan on finding out)

Most definitley Somers is into selling her products...However, from cruising the recipe boards..I have gotten great recipes for taco seasoning,ketchup, german sweet mustard....Just tons of ideas!..Good luck!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 09:46

BF:

I really like Somers plan, I just don't like the idea of her "selling" her products to me while I am reading her book. As if I didn't spend enough on the book.

As for her recipes, I love them! I have been using her Fast and Easy book. I want to get another one of her books.

As for the artifical sweets she makes, I just choose to stay away from all treats. I think that is where the stalls can start. I stick with her pro/fat recipes. I do have oatmeal once or twice a week for breakfast, that is nice for a change.

I like her Eggs Florentine with Bearnaise sauce. Hubby and the kids even liked it.

My mom is doing Atkins, I am trying to get her to switch to Somers because she really misses eating fruit.