Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 15:09
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm here!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/258/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
I'm here!

Hi Kisal...! im so glad there is still someone in here... Whew!!! i can see from all your weight loss that YOU havnt been going on like a Turtle... but i guess you have been doing this for a while huh? any good advice for a Newbie? im 47... 5'5"... Perimenopausal ... and currently 258... i havnt Cheated or had Sugar since my start date 9/11/07 and i eat totally legal everyday... i just dont get alot of time to work out... i have a sit down job... and raising 3 grandbabies "right now"... so hopefully when they go back home i will get back to working out more... and its only been a little over 6 weeks for me, but i havnt lost ANY weight since my 2 weeks in Induction was over... that makes me SAD ... what i need is a good kick in the butt and some good advice... got some for me?
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 19:02
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by just lili
Hi Kisal...! im so glad there is still someone in here... Whew!!! i can see from all your weight loss that YOU havnt been going on like a Turtle... but i guess you have been doing this for a while huh? any good advice for a Newbie? im 47... 5'5"... Perimenopausal ... and currently 258... i havnt Cheated or had Sugar since my start date 9/11/07 and i eat totally legal everyday... i just dont get alot of time to work out... i have a sit down job... and raising 3 grandbabies "right now"... so hopefully when they go back home i will get back to working out more... and its only been a little over 6 weeks for me, but i havnt lost ANY weight since my 2 weeks in Induction was over... that makes me SAD ... what i need is a good kick in the butt and some good advice... got some for me?
I've been in a stall for the better part of 18 months. I have to watch my calories pretty closely. But I'm 62, disabled, and take a lot of meds, at least 2 of which are known to cause weight gain. It's definitely a struggle, but I won't go back to lc, even if I never see 'onederland' again.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 19:14

Plan: atkins/sbd
Stats: 152/143.6/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:24/24/18
Progress: 26%
Smile

Hey Karen, is it true Atkins is harder the second time around? Also, what if you're taking estrogen? Can you still be successful on the diet with these two things against you?
  #125   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 22:32

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocheerioh
Hey Karen, is it true Atkins is harder the second time around? Also, what if you're taking estrogen? Can you still be successful on the diet with these two things against you?

I think estrogen will definitely hender your weight loss efforts... It's difficult but not impossible... It also depends on the second time around...

Hormones and meds are making it difficult for me to lose right now...that said I am going to try to make some of the changes she suggested in the initial article...sweeteners, dairy, and bacon....going to start using egg creams for breakfast... Also going to purchase the L-Guaratine...(sp)...hopefully that will help me metabolize fat better...

TJ
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-08, 06:48

Plan: atkins/sbd
Stats: 152/143.6/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:24/24/18
Progress: 26%

Skeeeweeaka,
Yesterday was my first day on induction and already in deep purple by 6pm. Do you think that's a sign my metablolism is high for this diet, or I'll only loose inches and on weight? I bought coconut oil yesterday and fried my chicken in it. It was so good. I heard I should also put it in my coffee. I'll try that this morning.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-08, 10:35

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocheerioh
Skeeeweeaka,
Yesterday was my first day on induction and already in deep purple by 6pm. Do you think that's a sign my metablolism is high for this diet, or I'll only loose inches and on weight? I bought coconut oil yesterday and fried my chicken in it. It was so good. I heard I should also put it in my coffee. I'll try that this morning.

Hey Cheer...Congrats on getting into the purple zone...that's terrific... I think it is a good sign that your body is burning fat... Only time will tell whether you will see weight loss on the scales or just inches, everyone is different...

Coconut is great for you....and that chicken sounds delicious! It is good in my coffee and gives me a temporary lift...

Hope you have having a great day!

TJ
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 16:05

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi everyone, been along time posting here and just wanteds to say hi.
I know I am a turtle when it comes to losing my weight because it has been a slow process for me. Its coming off but really slow.
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 19:11

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

I lost nothing the first 2 weeks (was eating pretty low carb before that), tweaked-no artificial sweetner, and started to lose a little. I have stayed at 20-25 grams a day, and have only averaged .4 lbs a week loss. So I am a turtle. I started lifting weights 4-5 days a week and am sculpting up nicely. PLus muscle burns fat 24/7 whereas cardio does not (still good for you though in moderation) . I have lost a few inches on my waist and hips. As long as I don't start feeling sorry for myself that I can't stuff my self with pizza or fries like most of the rest of everyone, I am fine! I also doubt I will lose as much as my goal. I mean I probably could but it would not be sustainable.

Finally, I think plugging my food in fitday.com (free) really has helped educate me. It is really helping me not go overboard. Hang in there. As others mentioned, I also minimize exposure to fake foods...well none actually come to think of it. But then I like the aforementioned evil bacon and cocktails, so sue me.
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 08:15

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
Hi everyone, been along time posting here and just wanteds to say hi.
I know I am a turtle when it comes to losing my weight because it has been a slow process for me. Its coming off but really slow.

Right there with you Sissy! I'm definitely a turtle. Lost 20 pounds in the first two months, but now even keeping at 20g carbs or less a day I'm still verrrrrryy sloooowwly losing. I have also lost inches noticeably, clothes are remarkably looser (I've had to buy some new ones!), but the scale... alas... mocks me. No worries though, I know I'm on the right path and am committed to this WOL, not just "dieting."

Someone at work asked me the other day, "You still on that Meat Thing?!" I just laughed - it's not a MEAT THING, it's just the way I eat, now and forever.
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 17:03

BF:

My weight is going nowwhere either. I have tried everything to get it going again like it was. I am eating ok, at least I think I am.
Just got to get more exercise so I can burn up some calories.
But the arthritis in my knees keeps me from doing to much.
  #132   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-09, 17:18

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
My weight is going nowwhere either. I have tried everything to get it going again like it was. I am eating ok, at least I think I am.
Just got to get more exercise so I can burn up some calories.
But the arthritis in my knees keeps me from doing to much.

Check out the bicycling threads in the different exercise forums - if you avoid hills, and don't overdo it, biking should not be so hard on your knees - and it's fun - and if you start biking around for your errands, you'll save tons of money on gas.

Here's a long bicycling thread, and on the last 3 pages, or so, lots of talk about bicycle purchasing.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185057
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 11:33

BF:

Annie, my hubby and I was just discussing about getting our bikes out and riding them again. I do ride my exercise bike but thats all.
Its not only my kees but also my hips that have the arthritis in them and sometimes sitting hurts my hips bad so most times I sit on my butt pillow, thats what My hubby calls it. Maybe I can put it on the bike seat..

I also swim to. we have a in ground pool and I do most my exercises in the pool, my aerobics and other exercises. I have water weights I use.

But riding my bike again sounds so nice, I always loved it so much.
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 12:15

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Go to several bike shops in your area and ask to see what bike seats they have available. As long as you're there, ask them if they have any "work bikes" you can take a look at and ride around the block.

Work bikes typically are no-speed, single gear bikes with pedal/foot brakes, and many of them have very comfortable very large seats.

Seriously.

You should have the bike seat changed -- do a search online, too -- there must be dozens of different large bike seats available, which a bikeshop could order for you and replace whatever's currently on your bike.

Really --- since you know that love bicycling, you MUST find out all the different stuff available -- do ask questions in the thread I linked to above, as there obviously are some serious experts who are participating, which I am NOT.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 12:54

BF:

I do have a bigger seat on my bike and ones that more comfortable for the old butt.
I have to sit stright up when I go biking because of my low back, bending over like alot of you do on your bikes kills my back.
I have had several back surgeries and am trying to strengthen my back more right now so I have to be careful.