Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Splenda increasing cravings????

Today I cut out the splenda & I feel great again no cravings or hunger.My weight loss has stalled the last few weeeks & now I see why I was having about 8 packs of splenda daily & not drinking enough.So guess splenda is an occasional treat for me.The book says splenda doesnt cause any blood suger reaction if thats true then why since I started using splenda have I been craving sweets?I havnt cheated at all...I also cut out the SF jello deserts at night so that couldve been the prob too..Oh by the way for you California folks I found Splenda at VONS super market for $4.25 for the granule form & $5.25 for 100 packets.Has anyone else had Splenda effect them or your weightloss efferts????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:22

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

yes, melanie, others have this response, too.

I think what's going on is that some people just have more sensitive insulin production systems. Some people only get them insulin surges when they overeat carbs alone; some people only get them with they eat high or moderate carbs with other foods; some people can even get them overeating meat; some people get them with aspartame or the coloring in cola drinks or splenda. And some people seem to get them if they only *think* about food. (I imagine a nation of people with endocrine problems from watching too many junk food commercials!)

Why? That, I don't know. Luck of the draw? How far along the road we are from "normalcy" toward type II diabetes? The only way to find out which person you were, for sure, would be to go through a series of insulin tests under various conditions (I can't imagine any insurance company paying for such a thing.)

Whatever the mechanism, the result is this: in the presence of insulin, your BP goes up, your body stores more fat molecules in fat cells, you cannot burn fat (no matter how hard you exercise or how little you eat), plaque builds up in your arteries...wow, just not good news! For those normal folks who only have higher levels of insulin for only a half hour, three times a day, no big deal. For those of us who may get a big blast of insulin every time we so much as drive by the Krispy Kreme, BIG problem!

Will this overproduction ever be cured in our systems? Dunno. Dr. Bernstein seems to hold out hope for recovery of pancreatic beta cells after some time of LCing.

Everyone's mileage does vary on issues like this, and part of the learning process is figuring out what works and does not for you. Great for figuring this one out!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Razzle Thanx

I know I have an insulin problem because When I was pregnant with my 3 Daughters I had gestational diabetes & had to use insulin shots 4 xs a day. & in the last 4 yrs Ive gained 70 pnds without even over eating but I was deffanatly a Carb Addict pasta,potatoes,soda you name it..On low fat high carb diets I felt dizzi all the time. Also Ive had very low estrogen levels Im only 28 so My Dr figured it was from being overweight only get my TOM every 2-4 months When I used to be every 40 days.I think I have PCOS but to find a good enough DR to test me right is one thing..I have Hope that this WOE is going to help me Big time..Another thing I just found out & I feel stupid Ive been having 1/2 a cup of lemon juice concentrate no suger added I squirt a few squirts in my water I no atkins mentioned to limit it but I feel fool to the hidden carb thing The bottle says 0 carbs but guess US food lie if there just below 1 grm..So out with the lemon juice!!!!
I cant stand just plain water any Ideas to get it flavored without carbs???? Oh yeah & I think I was already turning type 2 diabetic I have a home meter & before atkins it was any where from 160-196 one hr after meals now that Im on atkins one hr after meals its between 82-88 !!!!! I LOVE THIS WOE im hoping my prob was the lemon juice & not the splenda....we will see
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:37
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

It may have been the maltodextrine used as a filler for the splenda, that's what bulks it up and pour like sugar. There is a campaign being waged to contact Splenda to get them to release liquid Splenda, with no carbs. You can get their number off their website.

www.splenda.com

Elihnig
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

Yes, I agree about the maltodextrin filler. It's made from grain, usually corn or barley. And it has carbs. Did you know that one packet/sachet of Splenda has 1g carb and 4 calories, all of it from the maltodextrin?? If you're in the US, it probably says zero carbs on the label, but that's inaccurate. They're permitted to label a food as zero carbs if a "serving" has less than 1 gram, even if it's 0.99g.

I noticed on the Netrition site, that they had Splenda TABLETS available, each tablet has 0.3 calories .. which means 0.075g carb .. Anybody know more about this?? Judi??

Doreen