Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-20, 14:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Let's Ketoize Ikea's Swedish Meatballs

Recipe here: https://twitter.com/IKEAUK/status/1252269467515617280

What should we use to replace the breadcrumbs in the meatballs? I suppose port rinds is possible. Coconut flour might work and I actually have some. I'll try that.

Meanwhile, the sauce has wheat flour which you might not really need at all, but if you do want to thicken it you could very carefully use egg yolk by stirring a bit of the sauce into the egg yolk and making a custard like sauce. Or you could use mustard flour, which is basically powdered mustard, in place of the mustard.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-20, 17:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Recipe here: https://twitter.com/IKEAUK/status/1252269467515617280

What should we use to replace the breadcrumbs in the meatballs? I suppose port rinds is possible. Coconut flour might work and I actually have some. I'll try that.

Meanwhile, the sauce has wheat flour which you might not really need at all, but if you do want to thicken it you could very carefully use egg yolk by stirring a bit of the sauce into the egg yolk and making a custard like sauce. Or you could use mustard flour, which is basically powdered mustard, in place of the mustard.
Haha, yes, I want to make these! I was thinking about possibly using chia seed in the meatballs. I do have some coconut flour too but was also thinking about a pinch of xanthan gum.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-20, 19:36

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I can't make the font large enough to read the ingredients list, and won't go hunting because I am quite happy with the recipe I usually use. But FYI, I usually use a spoon or so of psyllium husk in place of breadcrumbs, with success.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-20, 21:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I can't make the font large enough to read the ingredients list, and won't go hunting because I am quite happy with the recipe I usually use. But FYI, I usually use a spoon or so of psyllium husk in place of breadcrumbs, with success.

Me neither.

I always just use eggs in my meatballs - usually 2 per pound of mince/ground meat, and the mix works well. See Karen's recipe in "Recipes" on the top green menu bar to see where i got the idea.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 02:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Interesting - I might try this, although I don't remember ever having Ikea meatballs.

I like using coconut flour because it helps hang onto the fat and juice in the meat.

Our grocery stores like to sell ground beef mixed with ground pork in small font hoping you won't notice on special. I'll pick some up next time I see it.

I might use a bit of xanthan gum in the sauce, or just let it simmer down on its own.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 04:48

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I often use finely chopped mushrooms in place of breadcrumbs.

In fact, I used mushrooms last night in place of the almond flour in Valerie Bertinelli's Italian Turkey Meatloaf.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 05:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I often use finely chopped mushrooms in place of breadcrumbs.

Yes, I've used mushrooms as well . I like to cook the chopped mushrooms first, to draw out excess water. I use my own seasonings .. but here's where I first got the idea to use 'shrooms instead of breadcrumbs or ground almonds .. https://paleoleap.com/paleo-meat-loaf/

#8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 06:01

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

When I saw "Swedish Meatballs" I almost threw up. That's what my mom used to feed us. I don't blame her and she is a great cook but I have memories of her rinsing the ground beef in a strainer to get rid of the fat. Something wrong in that picture.

I've found using ground flax meal as a thickener works great for binding up and making sauce in stir fry I do once in a while. Give that a go if you have some.

Good luck on the recipe ladies but please leave the fat in

Last edited by thud123 : Thu, Apr-23-20 at 06:07.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 07:43

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Interesting - I might try this, although I don't remember ever having Ikea meatballs.

I like using coconut flour because it helps hang onto the fat and juice in the meat.

Our grocery stores like to sell ground beef mixed with ground pork in small font hoping you won't notice on special. I'll pick some up next time I see it.

I might use a bit of xanthan gum in the sauce, or just let it simmer down on its own.

I often/usually make meatballs or meatloaf with a mixture of beef & pork (and some ground liver, if I have any )
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-20, 20:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

So I tried these, and they were awesome.

My sub for breadcrumbs was 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese and 1 Tbsp coconut flour. I don't think there's supposed to be anything particularly special about the meatballs; if you have a recipe you like, they'll probably work. Next time, I might try adding some allspice and nutmeg. That seems to be a Swedish meatball thing.

I didn't add any thickener to the sauce at all. I just let it cook down gently. I used about 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, since it's thinner than "double cream", plus that's what was left in the container so I just dumped it in.

The sauce was so good, I licked the plate and then the cat did, too. Worry not, Thud, nary an iota of fat went to waste!!

Your results will vary based on the stock you use. I used homemade beef broth.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-20, 00:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Ha! Nice work Kristine ! Maybe I could learn to love a version like yours
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-20, 10:03

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Oh Yum and good suggestions everybody!
I usually use crushed pork rinds in place of breadcrumbs, or Parmesan. Mushrooms are a great idea...will have to try different versions. Using pork rinds sometimes gets a little greasy but the flavor is good!
- Kat
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-20, 10:32

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

If memory serves my Mom made sweedish meatballs with sauce using sour cream. YUM! Here are the ingredients at one site:

https://www.ruled.me/keto-swedish-meatballs/

Swedish Meatballs

1-pound ground beef
1 tablespoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ onion, diced
2 tablespoons butter

Beef Gravy

4 tablespoons butter
1½ cups beef stock
½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 14:45

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Okay, I tried out the IKEA recipe a couple days ago and it was pretty awesome. Of course I couldn't follow it exactly but even if I have all the ingredients I rarely follow a recipe exactly.

But I had ground beef in the freezer. No plain ground pork but I had frozen bulk pork sausage in the freezer, so I took out a pack of each of those to defrost. The sausage meant that there were some additional spices (like sage) that went into the meatballs but I had no problem with that. I added the egg, the cream, some dried onion flakes and garlic powder since I have no fresh onions or garlic. I added some chia seeds instead of bread crumbs. I placed all the meatballs into a 9x13 casserole dish (it made 22 meatballs at the size I made them) and just baked them at 350 for about 40 minutes.

When I removed them from the oven I removed all the meatballs with a slotted spoon and then just drained off all the meat juice into a sauce pan and then added the cream, butter, salt, pepper, soy sauce, dijon mustard, a little water. I used a rounded tsp of potato starch as a thickener for the sauce.

And it tasted awesome! I got several meals out of it and I enjoyed each and everyone one. This was my basis for the meatballs. classic IKEA, LOL.

https://twitter.com/IKEAUK/status/1...5617280/photo/1
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 10:13
POSITIVE☆ENERGY

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I love the idea of combining ground beef and pork to make these. I'd like to try experimenting with additional combinations, like using both psyllium and ground flax as binder/fillers, ground almond flour combined with coconut flour, spice combinations could almost be endless too.