Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

And what to do when I get there I suppose?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

There's a guy in red who runs the place -- he'll tell you what to do. I'm an amateur compared to Satan.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

Today must be Satan day. I've been doing a whole Popcorn is from Satan joke over in feelskinny's journal.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 09:28
Registered Member

Popcorn is from Satan. How is that a joke?

If water tasted like popcorn I wouldn't drown if thrown into the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 09:32
Registered Member

BF:

I can't stand the smell. Fire and brimstone.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 09:39
Registered Member

All I can smell is popcorn.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 11:08

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default Growing your own and pests

Been at this gardening thing for awhile in California, had to quit because of health problems that are now solved by LC. Now I am in Texas and getting started again, having to learn how to do it here.

Growing tomatoes in the plastic buckets that you hang upside down? Best thing I ever did. Don't have to stake, little effort to watering, keeps my cat Kipper out of them (my avatar is baby Kip). He used to ambush the other cats from the tomatoes and at 22 pounds he would crush a few plants. Keeps the cats out of the "litter box" that a raised garden can be. In CA had to have raised gardens with screen underneath because of gophers.

As for varieties, just Google heirloom tomatoes. The number of varieties is amazing. Better tasting than anything in the big box grocery and it agribusiness tomato. We loved the zebras and the brandywines, sweet slice cucumbers, and an Italian bell pepper I don't remember the name of.

Second best thing I ever did for the garden was to spend about $40 (on eBay as I remember) to buy my first Contech Scarecrow which is a battery operated motion activated sprinkler. In CA, just buried the PVC pipe and attached the Scarecrow. That really kept the cats, dogs, and coyotes out. Havahart makes a similar device. Amazon sells both and I think the Scarecrow has a lot more and a lot higher rating. Were it just my cats bothering the garden, I could have turned the water off after awhile, but there were critters at night.

Just some ideas. With gas prices boosting the price of food, home gardening would be great for our personal finances and our health. Oh, and I just "lurve" Gardener's Supply.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 11:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
All I can smell is popcorn.
Oh no! Is that as in, "The people down the hall keep making popcorn and I have to smell it all day long"?

Because that would suck.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 11:26
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Today must be Satan day. I've been doing a whole Popcorn is from Satan joke over in feelskinny's journal.

I GET THE POINT ALREADY GUYS...
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

You Tube video explaining how to grow salad leaves in a labour saving way.
Salad Leaves for All Seasons with Charles Dowding
He uses containers or raised beds. The beds are 4ft across and (in his book) he shows how you can easily make hoops out of wire or polypipe to put netting over to keep the cats off, or to cover with fleece to protect from frost/pests.

I've just set up my beds and am trying to see if it works just picking a few outside leaves from my lettuce/salads each week to try to keep them going for 3months.

There are other video's on Youtube explaining how to simply make a raised bed from timber. Dowding just covers the ground with a carpet and when the weeds have died off he uses horse manure as a base and compost as the growing medium, no dig, no soil, no weeds, no work.

I should have said that Spinach and Chard are probably the easiest leaves to grow. My last years plants are just about to run to seed and the new plants are ready to take over. The Celariac survived the winter and has also been useful. Will grow these again.