Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%
Default Been a Turtle for 30 years and didn't know it

For 30 years, I've continuously gained weight, just a little here and there.

Just about 30 years ago I had half of my thyroid removed. I've never had to go on medication because I always test within normal limits. I suspect that's the real reason I don't lose, but oh well.

I managed to maintain my weight, about 116, into my early 30's by always eating under 1000 calories a day. I was always hungry. At 31 I had my first child. My doctor insisted I eat 3400 calories a day. I gained 40 lbs kept 10 lbs, my second child arrived at 37, same story, another 10 lbs. Quit smoking at 40, up another 5 lbs. My mother moved in with us 6 years ago, and up I went up again. She cooks.

No matter what I did, it wouldn't budge. I went on every diet known to man over the last 30 years. Most recently a whole year of weight watchers. And I gained on that.

I started Atkins 5 weeks ago, and have lost 5 pounds. I'm thrilled to have lost it, but it's slow. Those 5 lbs came off quickly, mostly water?, but now I have not actually lost anything in 3 weeks.

I've made up my mind to stay on induction for whatever time it takes to get closer to an ideal weight.

I'm eating well, I'm full, and sometimes I have to remember to eat more. I can't believe I'm not gaining on all this food.

I'm sure I'm going to lose more.

I'm going to hang around in this forum for a while, you're all an inspiration.

Thanks to all of you for being here. Support can be so hard to find.

Merry Christmas to all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 08:25

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello SueJ and welcome to the board. Your loss of the first few weeks is actually pretty well on track for the average. A person might reasonably lose 10% of the excess weight in the first 2 weeks. And then maybe 5% more every couple of weeks. But not always.

You are already down 13% of the way to goal. It is really common, usual and normal to go without losing for a few weeks after Induction as your body adjusts to the new chemistry and it needs to be reassured during that time that the food wil keep coming. It might even be better to up the carbs as suggested in the Atkins book: week 3 - add 5 gm per day, week 4 - add 5 more daily. This is On-going Weight Loss Some people even lose better at a higher carb level but choose the "good" carbs not sugars & starches.

Feel free to read people's journals to see how they eat and how they cope with many situations. You could also go to the My Low-Carb Journal/Boot Camp Forum & start your own journal in the R-S section or just click here The instructions for starting your journal are in the Announcement at the top. Scroll down below the New Forum Rules to read them.

Wishing you lots of luck in losing.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-25-02, 14:24

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

Thanks Tofi. Maybe I will give that a shot. I've been so reluctant to move ahead because nothing is quite happening here.

Merry Christmas!