Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/325/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketosis Sticks

Hi all

I have yet another question for you, hopefully you can help.

I finally got the Keto-sticks in the mail and tried it. According to it I am in moderate Ketosis -if I am saying that right-

My questions are:

1 - I am very surprised I wasn't knocked out of ketosis because last night I had to make a bad decision: To eat Mac N Cheese. We're really low on groceries and until this afternoon I can't buy anything and that was the only thing I had left (work hours cut, no money, huge bills, you all know the situation). I didn't eat much because honestly it tasted awful to me. My husband and daughter said it was "yummy" but to me it takes like cheesy soft cardboard- maybe because of ketosis?? I dont know.
Anyone know why I didn't get knocked out of Ketosis?

2- Now that I jumped off the wagon once, I am going to have to start over w/ induction right?

Hopefully this won't happen again. I feel kind of awful about having to start over but I guess I have to. My husbands check is going to be a little better now so I can buy more groceries to keep a similar menu of what I posted in "8days on Atkins, didn't loose an ounce".

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

>Annett
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 16:06
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

If you didn't eat to much of the mac and cheese, it is possible that you could be still in the state of ketosis.

When I slip for plan, if it was not and all out "blow out" lasting several days, I just pick back up where I left off. Unless you are craving carbs again, like days of old. If so you are best redoing induction.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 16:15

BF:
Progress:

Hi there

I don't have any cravings at all. If anything, I would rather never eat pasta again....it tasted that bad to me. In a way that is good because I used to be pasta-crazy.

Have a great day

>Annett
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 142/135/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default starch versus sugar

sometimes i find that if i am in ketosis, i can "cheat" on starch food (i haven't tried pasta, but i have tried popcorn and potatoes) and i find that i will still be in ketosis if i am: 1. eating those foods with fat, and 2. eating protien and fat at next meal....now if i cheat with sugar, i am out of ketosis within hours.
probably different for different people. i have read a few studies that say sugar acts different then starch in the body, and i guess it would depend on the person....
consider me lucky, i can even "cheat" with beer (but i have to make sure i have plenty of protien food around for the next day!)
p.s. i am wondering why you get your ketostick in the mail?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 00:46

BF:
Progress:

Hi Bubba

I bought the Ketosticks in the mail because they were cheaper even w/ shipping.
At my local store they are $9.99 for 25 sticks. I was able to get 100 sticks for $6.99 ($3.49 for sticks + $3.50 shipping/handling). I felt kinda silly to pay more for shipping than the sticks themselves but I still saved $$$.

I am glad to see there is another person out there who can "cheat" and stay in ketosis....at least I know its not just in my head....for a while I thought I must be wrong but the sticks don't lie and now that I read your note I know I lucked out.

My plan is still to of course stick to Atkins but at least I know if I accidentally miscount & go over the carbs I am allowed, that I will still stay in Ketosis, so I don't have to worry too much.

Anyway, I have to run. thanks for the note. have a great evening.

>Annett
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:44

Stats: 300/236/180 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Where did you get your sticks?? Missy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 142/135/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

wow...that does sound expensive...i get mine at the drugstore for $6.50 for 50....and i live in a small town...

the only other thing to consider if your sticks are dark and you have cheated is if you are dehydrated, but then you would notice a lighter color later in the day after you have your water...

catch ya later